PDA

View Full Version : My equipment almost got stolen!!!

S man
09-16-2008, 01:44 AM
I put all my handheld stuff in front of my house so could eat and then put everything in the shed. But I had a bad feeling about it. So after dinner I was going to put everything away and opened the front door. I saw someone in between the cars on the drive way and he slowly tried to sneak off and I imediately yelled for my dad to come out and we ran after them all in a matter of seconds. He rounded the corner and jumped into the getaway car and had a driver driving and they sped off. Nothing was stolen thank God. I called the police imediately and a officer showed up and I told him what had happened and later my dad went around in the neighborhood and saw the car that the guys were using. He got the plate number and we gave that to the police. A little bit later I was out front doing something and the car passed by and when I saw them they went speeding by and passed in front of six guys in a dogde truck a block further. Then the car was speeding by again at 70 mph at least in a 20 zone followed by the six guys barreling after them. They lost them after a high speed chase and almost got in three accidents. They came by later and we talked to them and they said they had followed them but lost them. The police came by and talked to them and came back to my house. They said the plate didn't match the car. It was a brand new red chevy impala 4 door. Plate was SBN 880 which didn't match. So now they need to find these low lifes because they were hanging around my neighborhood even after we saw them and called the cops. They're gone now but now I'm on gaurd with my house and equipment. What a night!

mississippiturf
09-16-2008, 01:51 AM
One word: LUCKY!!!

TerraTek
09-16-2008, 01:55 AM
yep, very lucky. easy way to learn a lesson, without costing you money.

S man
09-16-2008, 02:07 AM
I've learned. I'm waiting to hear if the police have catched these thugs.

South Florida Lawns
09-16-2008, 02:23 AM
Time to get a shotty!

02DURAMAX
09-16-2008, 02:27 AM
Your just asking to get your stuff stolen...It only take 5min to put them away.

Even Cut Lawn Care
09-16-2008, 03:23 AM
Time to get a shotty!

YES!!!!! My thoughts exactly!

S man
09-16-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm definitely keeping a closer eye on my stuff from now on. I know my hand blower that I love would be first. I'm glad I still have everything.

deere615
09-16-2008, 10:37 PM
That gives you a little scare! I always worry about people grabbing one of my trimmers ir blowers or something if I am cutting someones backyard

STIHL GUY
09-19-2008, 11:49 PM
i live in a low crime place and have thankfully never had anything stolen(knock on wood0 but i am still cautious and scared my stuff will get stolen. there is more than one guy in town that just leaves a trailer full of stuff in the drive year round without problems

S man
09-19-2008, 11:55 PM
i live in a low crime place and have thankfully never had anything stolen(knock on wood0 but i am still cautious and scared my stuff will get stolen. there is more than one guy in town that just leaves a trailer full of stuff in the drive year round without problems

I would not leave my stuff open like that any time.

Branch manager
09-22-2008, 11:54 PM
A couple of sundays ago we were doing treework here in Iowa. I set my Stihl hardhat/visor/muffs down on clients lawn,as my partner was ready to go get lunch. On return, I could not find it anywhere! I searched both trucks, the property several times, etc. There's a park across the street, and some younger 'kids' were hanging out, so my best guess is they saw us leave, and decided to abscond with it. I searched trash cans and bathroom at park; also hedges and shrubs along street. Perhaps they shoved it down storm drain; I couldn't check. Luckily it wasn't new, and I hadn't yet installed 'hygiene kit' which would've really peed me off. Even luckier, my partner had a spare new assembly in the office, so I could finish chipping brush(I hate earplugs, prefer muffs). I know this is fairly trivial comparatively, yet was pretty wierd.:confused:If another treeworker took it, I hope he needed it more than I; they are only 25-30 bucks, for cripes sake!;)

S man
09-23-2008, 02:06 AM
A couple of sundays ago we were doing treework here in Iowa. I set my Stihl hardhat/visor/muffs down on clients lawn,as my partner was ready to go get lunch. On return, I could not find it anywhere! I searched both trucks, the property several times, etc. There's a park across the street, and some younger 'kids' were hanging out, so my best guess is they saw us leave, and decided to abscond with it. I searched trash cans and bathroom at park; also hedges and shrubs along street. Perhaps they shoved it down storm drain; I couldn't check. Luckily it wasn't new, and I hadn't yet installed 'hygiene kit' which would've really peed me off. Even luckier, my partner had a spare new assembly in the office, so I could finish chipping brush(I hate earplugs, prefer muffs). I know this is fairly trivial comparatively, yet was pretty wierd.:confused:If another treeworker took it, I hope he needed it more than I; they are only 25-30 bucks, for cripes sake!;)

That sucks. Stealing is stealing. I don't care if some low life took off with my echo ear muffs I'd still be pissed.:nono:

Branch manager
09-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Yeah, it wasn't the highpoint of my day. We're so focused on what we are doing when my brother is cutting in the trees, and I groundcrew,as far as who's around, traffic control, coning equipment,etc. Just figures I usually get injured during lunch, or before or after actual time on clients property. As I said, more strange and disturbing than heinous. Watch your stuff out there, be it in Iowa, or back here in WNY. :drinkup::waving:

Wojomower125
10-12-2008, 09:17 PM
A good friend of mine was on a job in a fairly poor community by himself and was mowing the backyard of a client, and as he was coming back up to the front of the house 3 guys came up to his truck and stole one of his stihl blowers. The guys were at least 2 times the size of him so he just called the police and didn't bother running after them considering they probably had either knives or guns, in all seriousness. The police later caught the so thought thieves but couldn't find the blower anywhere so they weren't charged with anything.

When ever I mow the backyard of any house I just lock my blower and trimmer in the back of the truck and always have one eye open for anything suspicious.

S man
10-13-2008, 12:25 AM
A good friend of mine was on a job in a fairly poor community by himself and was mowing the backyard of a client, and as he was coming back up to the front of the house 3 guys came up to his truck and stole one of his stihl blowers. The guys were at least 2 times the size of him so he just called the police and didn't bother running after them considering they probably had either knives or guns, in all seriousness. The police later caught the so thought thieves but couldn't find the blower anywhere so they weren't charged with anything.

When ever I mow the backyard of any house I just lock my blower and trimmer in the back of the truck and always have one eye open for anything suspicious.

I'm going to get an enclosed trailer which I need a bigger trailer anyway and will lock it anytime I won't be able to see it.

KCfireman
10-13-2008, 12:29 AM
Scott, are you 18 yet?

S man
10-13-2008, 12:31 AM
Scott, are you 18 yet?

Yes about to be 19 at the end of november.

KCfireman
10-13-2008, 12:33 AM
oh well then your golden. Go get yourself a concealed firearm permit. Im gettin' me one.

S man
10-13-2008, 12:36 AM
oh well then your golden. Go get yourself a concealed firearm permit. Im gettin' me one.

Yeah I should. My mom says I need a gun.:laugh:

KCfireman
10-13-2008, 12:43 AM
i already come equiped with guns naturally. I also own a glock as well.

S man
10-13-2008, 12:44 AM
i already come equiped with guns naturally. I also own a glock as well.

Cool. I'm not too familiar with guns and haven't used any yet. Which should I go with?

Even Cut Lawn Care
10-13-2008, 12:45 AM
In Missouri you have to be 23 to get a CCW. How bout in KS and LA?

KCfireman
10-13-2008, 12:47 AM
In Missouri you have to be 23 to get a CCW. How bout in KS and LA?
in KS you have to be 18 to purcahse shotguns and rifles. 21 to buy a pistol. I got the glock from my dad. Im not sure on teh CCW. Im positive its 18 in KS.

Even Cut Lawn Care
10-13-2008, 12:52 AM
No, thats incorrect in LA you must be 21.
I don't think in KS you would be able to get one if you are under the legal age to puchase a handgun...

KCfireman
10-13-2008, 12:55 AM
No, thats incorrect in LA you must be 21.
I don't think in KS you would be able to get one if you are under the legal age to puchase a handgun...
i didnt say you had to 18 to buy weapons in LA

Even Cut Lawn Care
10-13-2008, 12:58 AM
I didnt say you did, but you did say that S MAn was "golden" since he is over 18. However he is not legally old enough to carry. Just saying make sure you guys check the laws before you get too far. I'm all about carrying but make sure you know what you are carrying too.

KCfireman
10-13-2008, 01:02 AM
I didnt say you did, but you did say that S MAn was "golden" since he is over 18. However he is not legally old enough to carry. Just saying make sure you guys check the laws before you get too far. I'm all about carrying but make sure you know what you are carrying too.im tempted to carry my dads .357! To much power for a pistol plus its a revolver and not the most accurate.:gunsfirin:gunsfirin:gunsfirin

Even Cut Lawn Care
10-13-2008, 01:03 AM
.357 Revolver?

KCfireman
10-13-2008, 01:04 AM
yep. Its a beauty too. Had 2 of em' but someone broke into our house and stole one of em'

Even Cut Lawn Care
10-13-2008, 01:06 AM
Personally I wouldn't carry it, 6 rounds just isn't enough. If im gonna carry a gun that big ill just take the glock with 18 rounds!

KCfireman
10-13-2008, 01:07 AM
Personally I wouldn't carry it, 6 rounds just isn't enough. If im gonna carry a gun that big ill just take the glock with 18 rounds!he11 yea! What about an Ak-47?

Even Cut Lawn Care
10-13-2008, 01:08 AM
Nah, Ill just use my AR

KCfireman
10-13-2008, 01:09 AM
personally i think the AR caliber is to small. Im gonna drive down to Pittsburgh,KS to buy an Ak for $300. Notin more protective then 30 rounds of 7.62 lead.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-13-2008, 02:48 AM
I'd be sleeping in the truck with my gun beside me and loaded up!

Kennedy Landscaping
10-13-2008, 02:51 AM
Glock 17 is the way to go.

Wojomower125
10-13-2008, 11:03 PM
Man u guys litterly carry guns on u at a job?

TXNSLighting
10-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Man u guys litterly carry guns on u at a job?

alota poeple do...you almost have to these days.

S man
10-15-2008, 05:17 PM
yep. Its a beauty too. Had 2 of em' but someone broke into our house and stole one of em'

:hammerhead::dizzy::laugh:

Green Team Landscaping
10-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Wow. Thats EXTREMELY lucky. Do you have a paintball gun? Or BB gun? Maybe that may come in handy. Then the cops will be looking for a red car with a hole in it or big paint mark!