PDA

View Full Version : FOLD tools experience?

irrig8r
09-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Saw two tools that looked interesting on the FOLD website today.

1. FOLD Slammer Cable Installation Tool

2. FOLD Wire Spinner W/ Bearing Shaft & T Handle

Both seem useful. Anyone using them? How does the Slammer compare to the CAST wire trenching tool? (The Slammer is about half the cost.) Neither tool lists weight or dimensions.

Mike M
09-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Gregg;

I have the FOLD Slammer. Very heavy. It's awesome for widening an already-cut trench (when needed for multiple cables, etc.), and for pushing the wires into the trench.

I was going to sharpen it once, and decided against it. It is too wide to use for cutting through turf/ground.

My favorite spade is the steel handled King I bought from Gemplers, with the rubber foot pad. That was a tip from Dave.

I never tried the spool.

Chris J
09-16-2008, 04:39 PM
I made my own version of a slammer. I welded a 1/8" piece of aluminum plate to the back of my spade to make it about 5" wider, then I cut off the corners slightly. It's difficult to get that much blade into the ground, that's why I cut the corners. It makes for easier entry into the turf, then the whole width is allowed to get into the ground to open it up. The spinners are great, but I don't use them much. I just have my helper follow me while holding the spool on a length of 1" PVC. I don't like to sharpen my regular shovels, but there is so much weight with the one I made it wouldn't matter if you sharpened it or not. It's so heavy, your not going to feel any burried wire or water pipe until it's too late.

SamIV
09-16-2008, 05:49 PM
That slammer will not go into heavy soils if they are pretty dry. Works pretty good in sandy soils though. I have their original which is even larger and heavier but I modified it with a torch and grinder. Works very well in the winter here when the soil stays moist. We have heavy clay here in Louisiana which has been pretty moist here the last two weeks.

I bought the Cast spinner years ago from FOLD and it works well. The FOLD version looks similar. I never took the effort to do so but you could make your own with a little wood, a turntable, a flange and a Tee and a section of pipe.

I now use the E-Z Roll Wire Rack from Rack-A-Tiers. I hurt my back a while back and this one rolls around instead of having to carry the spool if you need to move it.

http://www.rack-a-tiers.com/prodCat01.htm

Burt Wilson
Accent Outdoor Lighting

irrig8r
09-16-2008, 06:41 PM
That slammer will not go into heavy soils if they are pretty dry. Works pretty good in sandy soils though. I have their original which is even larger and heavier but I modified it with a torch and grinder. Works very well in the winter here when the soil stays moist. We have heavy clay here in Louisiana which has been pretty moist here the last two weeks.

I bought the Cast spinner years ago from FOLD and it works well. The FOLD version looks similar. I never took the effort to do so but you could make your own with a little wood, a turntable, a flange and a Tee and a section of pipe.

I now use the E-Z Roll Wire Rack from Rack-A-Tiers. I hurt my back a while back and this one rolls around instead of having to carry the spool if you need to move it.

http://www.rack-a-tiers.com/prodCat01.htm

Burt Wilson
Accent Outdoor Lighting

I have a set up with a tee handle and 1/2' galv. pipe gouing to a round flange, but no turntable. Maybe I need to look for just that.

The E-Z Roll looks like a good idea.

As for the Slammer... still not sure how deep it goes....?

Mike M
09-16-2008, 06:56 PM
As for the Slammer... still not sure how deep it goes....?

Pretty deep! Glad I could help.

Mike M
09-16-2008, 07:00 PM
Update: Ten inches. Just over fourteen inches wide. About 500 pounds (unverified).

irrig8r
09-16-2008, 07:48 PM
That's 500 lbs. when you and a helper are standing on it, after lunch?