PDA

View Full Version : Do I ask who bid lower?

verant
09-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Got a call from a new fall clean up customer and they said that someone came by and gave them an estimate. So they decided to go with that guy instead of me. Is it appropriate/ethical to ask what businness this was and what price they gave this customer? I am just curious who it was and their price, not looking to be enemies with another business or anything. Any comments welcome...

saylorsdad
09-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Can't hurt to ask might help you keep from getting undercut in the future

saw man
09-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Ask what kind of bid they got. Doesnt hurt to hear what people are charging, no need to know who it was doesnt matter at this point.

pinto n mwr
09-16-2008, 04:40 PM
friends are enemies and enemies should be friends, but business is business so do what you have to and look out for you and your business and f*&^ the rest

mississippiturf
09-16-2008, 05:05 PM
It's not unethical to ask what the winning bid was so as to see if you need to make adjustments for future bids. They may not share that with you, but you have not jeopardized your professionalism for asking. I don't think I'd ask the who part of it. Just my opinion!!

robtown
09-16-2008, 07:08 PM
It's not unethical to ask what the winning bid was so as to see if you need to make adjustments for future bids. They may not share that with you, but you have not jeopardized your professionalism for asking. I don't think I'd ask the who part of it. Just my opinion!!

I agree.
If it were a govt they would anounce the bids.

verant
09-16-2008, 08:09 PM
thanks for the advice guys, makes sense.

Green Team Landscaping
09-16-2008, 08:23 PM
If you dont want to ask you culd pop by there every now and then and have a look for yourself.

traman
09-16-2008, 08:35 PM
Got a call from a new fall clean up customer and they said that someone came by and gave them an estimate. So they decided to go with that guy instead of me. Is it appropriate/ethical to ask what businness this was and what price they gave this customer? I am just curious who it was and their price, not looking to be enemies with another business or anything. Any comments welcome...
i would ask,and if they give the price to you,then more than likely it was a price issue,but if they refuse to tell you , well then it probably was a personal thing ,just my 2 cents