PDA

View Full Version : My Flyer

olkeith
02-03-2002, 12:19 PM
I tried to design a flyer that would be unique and hopefully have a longer lifespan than a normal paper advertisement. I created a small paper ad about 5x6" with just the basic information necessary, I didn't want to go into to much detail just enough info to get the potential customers interest and hopefully a phone call. What I did that made my flyer unique was to include a wooden business card. The wooden cards are very unique and people normally don't throw them away even if they aren't interested in lawn service they will show them to their friends simply because wooden business cards are different. I placed the wooden card and the small flyer in a plastic bag and attached a long piece of copper wire(scrap phone cable with red insulation) and hung them on the doors of potential customers. I own a laser engraver so I have the capability to make wooden cards and I print my own flyers on an HP color printer. I just started delivering the flyers so I don't know how effective it wil be but the people that have seen them were impressed.

65hoss
02-03-2002, 12:29 PM
haha! I had the same idea about biz cards recently. I contacted several companies about some tools needed. They look real good! Nice job.

scagman
02-03-2002, 12:41 PM
That is a good idea, they look perfect too. Just curious as to what your flyer ses??

Downeast
02-03-2002, 01:59 PM
The wooden cards are most cool . Maybe a magnet on the back would be a nice addition . They look so classy that most people would hang them on the fridge as well .The entire presentation in the pic looked very professional ,and well thought out .Good Luck

gogetter
02-03-2002, 04:17 PM
olkeith, can ya get a close up of the cards? Otherwise, looks good from what I can see.

KirbysLawn
02-03-2002, 04:25 PM
Where did youn get teh wooden cards from. Who was that here that had their cards printed on credit cards by their sister?

1MajorTom
02-03-2002, 04:30 PM
Quote: Who was that here that had their cards printed on credit cards by their sister?

It was Turfman from Florida.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=22121&highlight=credit+card+sister

big james
02-03-2002, 04:32 PM
LOOKS REAL COOL :D

KirbysLawn
02-03-2002, 04:45 PM
Thanks Jodi, that was fast! I sent her an email and never heard back, I guess she got to many request.

JimLewis
02-03-2002, 09:27 PM
That whole package looks very cool. I like all of it.

My only concern is that maybe it takes more money and time than it's worth as opposed to the results it creates. Even with making it all yourself I can't immagine this is very cheap.

For instance, I make black and white flyers and get the copies for 2¢ a piece. That's $20 for 1000 flyers. Takes me 1 minute to print them out, 20 minutes at Staples to copy them, and about 10-12 hours to lay them on doors. And even though I may not land as high of a percentage as you will, I may land a higher number, per the amount of time and money I spent than you will.

Don't get me wrong. They are way cool. I just don't see spending all the time printing, cutting the cards to the right size, stuffing them in the see-through envelope, printing the cards, puting them in the envelope, getting the wire ready, wiring them to doors, etc. It's just a guess. but I bet you spend 2-3 times as much time as I would to lay 1000 flyers and probably 5-10 times as much money, which means your overall return on investment of time and money is less.

I suppose if you get 3-5 times the response I get, this may be worth it. But I doubt that would be the case.

olkeith
02-03-2002, 10:56 PM
Here is an actual scan of my wooden business card. I purchased an Epilog Laser Engraver in December so I make the cards myself. Making the cards is very easy...you create the card graphic or scan anyones business card and then load a thin board into the machine and send the file to the engraver from a computer. I normally engrave about eight cards on a three sixteenths thick board about 17" long and it takes about 30 minutes. The engraver also cuts the cards out after it engraves the text and graphics. I can engrave plastic, plexiglass, marble, glass, ceramics, wood, mat board, paper, leather and a lot more. this machine is a sign shop owners dream. The size limit is 12" x 24" x 8" thick. I can also engrave round glass bottles, etc and make very cool name cards, even ones that look like credit cards. Custom pen and pencil sets and a lot more.

olkeith
02-03-2002, 11:12 PM
I just started doing lawn care last year and have a small woodworking shop as another small business. My workshop doesn't pay all of the bills so the lawn care business seems to be a perfect match...I have woodworking projects in the winter and during bad weather and can work at night. Lawn care this year will be my main business so I can schedule lawn work as a primary activity. I live in a rural area so I have a six acre lawn to cut at home so I bought a 72" Dixie Chopper a couple of years ago. My target customers are people who live close to me and large comercial properties. I am not looking for small residential jobs. I built the goat last year as a mascot for my lawn care business, he rides on my trailer in front of my chopper and everyone who sees my rig remembers the goat so I get quite a few calls from people reading the signs on the side of my trailer. My idea using wooden business cards, although it is more expensive, is to sucessfully connect with high end customers in a very small target market. I'm not an expert in this business I'm really new but I have been planning this for two years and have been listening to some very good advice that I have seen here at Lawn Site.

KirbysLawn
02-03-2002, 11:18 PM
So, I'll be the first to ask. If you were to decide to sell these wood cards how much would you charge and in what format would they need to be in?

Looks cool, looks like a good thing to give new/current customers.

ceaman
02-03-2002, 11:37 PM
yeah I want some of those cards too.... maybe in lexan or something......

how about a slogan like
"clearly better"

BRIAN GALLO
02-04-2002, 12:07 AM
Those cards, flyers and the way you package/present them are very professional and cool! You are a true entrepenuir. I wish I could come up with something that cleaver!

AztlanLC
02-04-2002, 02:31 AM
I think somebody like you could have a very busy winter selling those busines cards. I also like to know how much would cost to make something like that.

olkeith
02-04-2002, 09:34 AM
I will contact Chuck and discuss the possibility of purchasing advertising space here at Lawn Site. As soon as I can get this done I'll will be able to answer all of your questions, it's only fair that advertisers should pay for using Lawn Site. Thanks to all for your comments.

1MajorTom
02-04-2002, 09:46 AM
Thanks Keith for your response.
Look forward to hearing more about your cards.
They sure look nice. :D

bruces
02-04-2002, 10:44 AM
I would be very interested in them if you could figure out a way to put a magnet on the back.