PDA

View Full Version : Ferris decks--48" vs. 61"

TomberLawn
09-16-2008, 06:27 PM
I've got an opportunity to trade my IS1500 for an IS3100. My 1500 has a 48" deck and the 3100 has a 61" deck. I'm looking for opinions specifically from people who have used both. What is the 61" cut quality like? Is it about the same as the 48", better, worse? Will it handle weedy grass and good grass?

jkilov
09-16-2008, 06:59 PM
I only own a 61" deck so can't compare it directly. To tell you the truth it's the weak component on this mower. The skirt isn't deep enough and there's not enough suction to stretch out the grass for an impressive cut. Top on that there's a lot of blow out the front and wet grass sometimes clumps near the discharge chute. If you're too aggressive on the controls the suspension can dive causing scalping, but I think you're already used to that. Some blades like gators don't work well.

Don't take me wrong, it's not that bad. Just that I'm bothered by every detail. My customers think It's a nice cut and never complain :confused:. But it is a very strong deck though. Wasn't careful enough and hit a stomp once close to full speed. Expected a scrap-ready deck but it was fine ... so at least something.

Ferris should really do something about their decks and they need'nt look far. The 36" WB deck I have cuts beautifully. It's deep and the blades are timed. And it was fairly cheap so I don't see why they could'nt improve their other decks.

TomberLawn
09-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks for your input. The ads I've seen in PRO and Lawn and Landscape for the new Ferris mowers coming out lead me to believe that the cut quality is something they are going to work on. If I could build the perfect mower, it would go as fast as a Hustler Super Z, cut like an Exmark UltraCut, ride like a Ferris, and be priced like a Bad Boy. Maybe the new ones will be all of that, but probably not priced like a Bad Boy.

jkilov
09-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks for your input. The ads I've seen in PRO and Lawn and Landscape for the new Ferris mowers coming out lead me to believe that the cut quality is something they are going to work on.
Well I sure hope so, it's about time. Any more info on what the new stuff is? Looks like it's better for you to wait a while and make due. Swapping a mower this late in the season isn't the best of ideas anyway.

mag360
09-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Thanks for your input. The ads I've seen in PRO and Lawn and Landscape for the new Ferris mowers coming out lead me to believe that the cut quality is something they are going to work on. If I could build the perfect mower, it would go as fast as a Hustler Super Z, cut like an Exmark UltraCut, ride like a Ferris, and be priced like a Bad Boy. Maybe the new ones will be all of that, but probably not priced like a Bad Boy.

The speed of a Super Z, cut of an Ultracut, ride of a Ferris, and price of a Bad Boy---Our resident Bad Boy dealers could use that as a slogan :drinkup:

TomberLawn
09-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Anybody running a 61" Ferris, or any Ferris for that matter, which blades have you found to be the best? Stock, Oregon Hi-Lift, Gator Hi-Lift, Gator Hi-Lift Magnum, something else? Has anybody run double blades, like high lifts and Gators on a 61"? What was the cut like and did it use a lot more fuel? I'll be demoing a 3100 tomorrow with stock blades, so we'll see how they do. If I buy the mower, I may want higher lift blades or even doubles to see how they do. Has anyone run doubles of different sizes? Like a 21" high lift (3 for 61" mower) with a 16.5" Gator (for a 48" deck)? The smaller mulching blade would weigh a little less, so less stress on spindles and engine. But would they still work like they are supposed to? I've got a set of 48" Gators for my 1500, so I might keep them to try on the 3100 if I trade.