PDA

View Full Version : overseed question

towtruck212
09-16-2008, 06:37 PM
I am doing an aeration and overseed and want to know what you guys use for seed. I was just in at Agway and I looked at a few different mixes and I wanted to know if anyone has ever used Conservation Green or anything simular? This is the description of it: easy and quick to establish, fast germination, does well in sun or shade,excellent for soil erosion control or hard to grow areas. This seed will cover 51,000 sq. ft. for overseeding in a 50 lb. bag for $130. Everything else covers 20,000 and costs $130.

The Conseervation Green is, 20% kentucky blue, 32% perennial rye, 25% creeping red fescue, 5% white clover, 18% annual ryegrass

This lawn is a pretty nice looking but has a few spots that need a little help, but it is all flat and in direct sun. I just dont want to overseed with crap and not look as good as if I used high $ stuff
What do you think?

thanks Mike

grass-scapes
09-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Kentucky blue is Fescue...You want mostly fescue (well, your area may differ) More than 20 % and you want at least 3 varieties of fescue. The creeping red is ok, but tall type fescue is better. Annual ryegrass is what is quick germination. it WILL die and leave dead spots when it does. There is too much rye grass in that mix. Thats why its cheap. I would not use it if you want to keep the yard looking nice.

sicnj
09-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Sounds Expensive a bag of seed Should bearound $85 Use a tri fescue

grass-scapes
09-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Sounds Expensive a bag of seed Should bearound $85 Use a tri fescue
A good bag of fescue should cover 8 to 10,000 feet per 50 lb bag when overseeding (5 to 7 lbs per 1000 sf) and should cost between 60 and 70 per bag.
What he is looking at will cover 51,000 sf at 50 lbs which is LESS than 1 lb per 1000 square feet. Not only is it cheap seed, they are telling you to use very little. You WILL get crap results if you go that route.