PDA

View Full Version : Scared to Death

JimLewis
09-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Holy crap! My heart is still pounding. I am sitting in my truck outside this lady's house right now writing up her landscaping bid. But I gotta tell you all what just happened.

So it's just my typical day; driving around doing errands, overseeing jobs in progress, and giving bids. I arrive here at my 3:00 appt. and knock on the door. No answer.....which is weird because I saw cars in the driveway and the garage door open.

Let me go back for a minute and explain that the door is hidden about 10' under the roofline. There is this kinda dark little hallway before you arrive at the front door to the house. So I am sitting there waiting by the door and I decide to step back 10' into the light and just wait there. After about a minute of waiting, I hear a THUMP at the front door. Ok. That's a little odd. But I think to myself, "Maybe it's a lady in a wheelchair and she just hit the door. I've had that happen before. So I step a little closer to the door now, in this dark hallway, waiting for her to open the door. I hear a few more strange THUMPs. Then the door begins to open super slowly. I am still thinking she's disabled or in a wheelchair and having trouble opening the door. So now I step right up to the dark door to see if I can help. This is where I just about jumped out of my skin.

The door opens about 12" and I see this freak wearing a gas mask and dressed in all black. And he doesn't say a freakin' word.

Now keep in mind, I still have this story in the back of my mind that I was reading last night. I found it on the Drudge Report;

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1692637.ece

So this freak is just staring at me in a gas mask and I am now thinking, "Wow. I am about to die right now." I didn't know what to think. So many thoughts were going through my head. So I finally composed myself, stepped back a few feet, and said, "Hello?" He said, "Yes..." and I replied, "Ummmm....Is Jeannie there?" And he says, "Hold on." A minute later this nice older lady comes out like nothing happened and all of a sudden I am just giving a normal estimate.

I guess she has some freak of a son who likes to scare the **** out of guests. I don't know. But it sure worked. WTF???!!!!??!!!!

I just about had a heart attack.

Here is kinda what he looked like...

grass-scapes
09-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Maybe he and granny were getting freaky with the latex suit and mask. Kink is alive and well.

Green Team Landscaping
09-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Whoa thats wierd, at least you were alright and it wasn't a robber or anything. And that story's dusgusting.

Charles
09-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Maybe he was the termite man:laugh:

Scagguy
09-16-2008, 07:35 PM
Awww...he was just gettin in some practice for Halloween.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-16-2008, 08:50 PM
Maybe Grams had Mexican/refried beans for supper?:)

Really though, should have asked the dude what he was trying to prove.

Chilehead
09-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Let me set the standard straight about what I am about to say: I mean no disrespect to you. Now let me get this right. A guy wearing a gas mask and black clothing was enough to scare the living @#$% out of you? I may have been slightly startled at best, but about to crap my pants? No. It sounds like you may be under too much stress. Do what you need to relax. Seriously. Make a day trip to the ocean and back. Fly a kite while you're there. Take someone you know with you. When you get home, enjoy a glass of wine while star-gazing. Go to sleep before 10pm, and sleep in the next day. You'll feel like a million bucks and be supercharged for work.

Lawn Enforcer
09-16-2008, 09:22 PM
It would've scared the crap outta me, it's just not a typical thing you see.

Runner
09-16-2008, 09:38 PM
Why do I somehow think of "Vic", the character that Dan Aykroyd played on the movie "Neighbors".

Surf'n'Turf
09-16-2008, 09:39 PM
bring out the gimp!

TPnTX
09-16-2008, 09:41 PM
uh, don't go back in the wood shed.

remember that scit richard prior did about white people in the horror movies:)

(the term white people is not intended to offend anyone and does not reflect the views of lawnsite or it's moderators)

lawnpro2210
09-16-2008, 09:46 PM
ya just waite till your mowing the lawn and you look over at the house and see his little gas mask face watching you as you go back and forth back and forth lol jk.I prolly would have ran lol

fastcat
09-16-2008, 09:53 PM
i probaly would have punched him in the face when i seen him thinking that he was a robber or some crap. punch now ask questions later.

treemonkey
09-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Could it have been a paint ball mask?

JimLewis
09-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Could it have been a paint ball mask?

No, dude. I go paintballing. I know what those masks look like.

It actually took me a few seconds to even realize what I was looking at. I hadn't seen one of those gas masks in ages. I couldn't even make out his body. I was actually looking down because I totally expected to see some old lady in a wheelchair needing help. Then when the door opened I just saw this dark black blob. So I looked up and that freaky gas mas was staring at me. At first, I thought it was a statue or something. I couldn't even see any eyes. Plus, by then I was just confused. This kind of crap never happens. All my bids are just boring bids with normal people. It was the last thing I expected to see. I guess that's what was so freaky. That plus that sick news story I had just read......

Woody_1
09-17-2008, 08:16 AM
I probably would have found a way to ask what was up with the gas mask during the bid conversation.

brucec32
09-21-2008, 12:24 AM
Some jobs aren't worth it.

Lbilawncare
09-21-2008, 09:51 AM
This freak is probably going to try to scare your employees, I'd steer clear.