PDA

View Full Version : burned out

cutbetterthanyou
09-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Guys i am burned out on cutting grass it gets like this about every august just a little worse this year because i am solo.I was just wondering if this happens to everyone else and how to pull through it because i am just ready to say screw it. I actually love what i do and make decent money i am just to that point where i could care less what stuff looks like or if i even get out of bed in the morning. I still do what I should but i just don't want to. This attitude will most likely go away as it does every year .I just hate being this miserable for a month or two every year.

Charles
09-16-2008, 08:00 PM
Ya well, after you have mowed the same lawns over 20 times it becomes a grind. The sun is slanting and so is your energy level. Cool temps make you feel like taking an afternoon nap. You just have to think what winter will be without any money. That usually wakes me up and motivates:laugh:

billslawn89
09-16-2008, 08:06 PM
not to mention that we are losing daylight also. when the sun comes up here around 6am, i'm up and going, now its getting later and later, and i'm feeling the same way, don't want to get up at 6am cuz its still dark:sleeping:, but once i get up and going, i'll go all day! i love my job! its my therapy...LOL:drinkup:

tamadrummer
09-16-2008, 08:14 PM
I am begining to burn out. I am solo as well except on mondays of course (not that you would know that....lol.)

I am looking forward to the first week of November. It will be nice to have a couple of days off.

I won't get to take the entire week off but I can take a couple of days at least.

billslawn89
09-16-2008, 08:16 PM
I am begining to burn out. I am solo as well except on mondays of course (not that you would know that....lol.)

I am looking forward to the first week of November. It will be nice to have a couple of days off.

I won't get to take the entire week off but I can take a couple of days at least.

ya..i was thinking of that today, once things slow down here, it won't be the 10-12 hour days for awhile! :drinkup:

robtown
09-16-2008, 08:17 PM
I dont know what your financial sitiuation is but you might want to rethink your buisness.
cut back on the mowing and increase the landscaping or lawn renovations.
this way it is not such a grind.
Sub out 2 days and go after some cool projects.
There is so much to do other than mowing.
good luck.

tamadrummer
09-16-2008, 08:20 PM
We need some stinking rain!! My bahia lawns are already going dormant. Not good for the turf yet! It needs to be given a chance to slow down in the cooler temps not fry and die...

I am only having to mow because of seed heads right now so that is helping a little with the exhaustion!

billslawn89
09-16-2008, 08:23 PM
We need some stinking rain!! My bahia lawns are already going dormant. Not good for the turf yet! It needs to be given a chance to slow down in the cooler temps not fry and die...

I am only having to mow because of seed heads right now so that is helping a little with the exhaustion!

ya i noticed the same thing with the seed heads on bahai lawns, i hate those things..we had some good rains last week from ike, outer bands of rain reached me so things are still growing good, but before that rain, i was telling some of my clients to put their irrigation back on..

cutbetterthanyou
09-16-2008, 08:25 PM
I dont know what your financial sitiuation is but you might want to rethink your buisness.
cut back on the mowing and increase the landscaping or lawn renovations.
this way it is not such a grind.
Sub out 2 days and go after some cool projects.
There is so much to do other than mowing.
good luck.

Thanks for the responses. As far as the landscaping goes, i would like to, but i am not in an area where people are in to spending much money, plus i don't really get how you get a good solid schedule of landscaping. At least mowing is semi guaranteed work. Arould here lawn renovations, what are they?

cutbetterthanyou
09-16-2008, 08:26 PM

Not here its growin like crazy

Chilehead
09-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Happens to me every year in August, and usually leaves by October. By December 1, the only thing left to do is rake any remaining leaves and build hardscapes. This winter I will be learning a new trade: antique clock repair. Yes-sir-ree! My apprenticeship will pay about $1200.00 per 40-hour week. The owner of the clock shop has asked me to come in when it's rainy outside and learn if time permits. It will sure be nice to have a "soft" job for the winter months. Maybe you should look to do something like this that interests you.

Genlandscape
09-16-2008, 10:06 PM
$1,200 for 40, and no overhead, hell I'm in the wrong business!!!!! Guess it's time to move to NJ, 'cause there is very little design/biuild work here in my little town. Yep I'm about burnt for the year too, even made mention of selling out yesterday. Today was much better though. If you enjoy what you do (even a little bit) and you are making a good living, hang in there, ti will get easier someday.

YardBoss Lawncare
09-16-2008, 10:24 PM
I've had thoughts of burn out too. I even went and got my class A CDL a few weeks ago. I'm going to drive a truck from now on and have my business on the side. I like the idea of a steady paycheck regaurdless of what the weather does. I want to keep my lawn maint. business going, but I do feel like im the verge of burn out.

Jason Rose
09-16-2008, 11:49 PM
I'm burned out as well. But I felt that way after about the first month this year! Just too much of the same thing day after day. And then only getting maybe 1 day off each week, and spend about 1/2 of that usually working on equipment or paperwork... ugggg.

What sucks about the fall, and being burned out at the same time, is that it's time to fertilize, overseed, and aerate. By the time I'm done mowing each day, between 5 and 6 most days, the last thing I want to do is bust home and load up and go back out with the spreader! The days are getting shorter FAST! Came in and ate some pizza tonight and was going to seed a few places in my front yard that were thin/bare. Went back out 15 minutes later and it was almost dark. Only 7:45pm

I keep trying to think of a way to not feel so sick of this work too. I suppose the 3 months off in the winter, as opposed to working every week all year around like MOST people do, is a biggie. Being my own boss, only having to do the work I really desire to do. Not having to worry about "being laid off", since I have many small sources of income as opposed to a "timeclock job" where I'd only have the one check.

jimmyzlc
09-17-2008, 12:03 AM
I am getting there to. It's been a long wet growing year here. Rain out after rain out, get behind can't get caught up or do those other jobs that make good money. Last year was hot and dry, this year wet, wet, wet, 360 degree turn around. By the way 7 inches of rain here from Friday to Sunday, 4.5 of that on Sunday.

GravelyGuy
09-17-2008, 12:08 AM
I've worked every single Saturday this year and a bunch of Sundays as well. I get more burned out dealing with the people than I do the actual work itself. It's to the point I just want to scream when I get a call from some whining customer about anything.

I regret advertsing Christmas lighting last spring soo much now!:cry:

Ed Ryder
09-17-2008, 12:48 AM
Re-visit goal setting. Set your daily goals and weekly production goals. If you hit your weekly production goal 4 weeks in a row, buy yourself something - like a flatscreen TV or whatever might make you motivated.

Next year, reduce your workload. Dump the least profitable and biggest PITA lawns. Bump up prices and replace properties that you lose with higher profitability lawns.

I have found that when you work less, you are less likely to feel overwhelming burnout, like you are dealing with right now.

Only 14 days till October. Only 45 days till November. You're heading into the final turn. Don't blow it now with the finish line in sight. You'll cost yourself thousands if you let it fall apart. Think what that lost income would mean to you.

If you need some tough love, here you go:

Stop being a pussy and get to work! :)

LawnTamer
09-17-2008, 01:22 AM
Guys i am burned out on cutting grass it gets like this about every august just a little worse this year because i am solo.I was just wondering if this happens to everyone else and how to pull through it because i am just ready to say screw it. I actually love what i do and make decent money i am just to that point where i could care less what stuff looks like or if i even get out of bed in the morning. I still do what I should but i just don't want to. This attitude will most likely go away as it does every year .I just hate being this miserable for a month or two every year.

Do you have an ipod or mp3? I get so burnt out every year. Used to hit me at the end of Aug, now it hits in July. I have found that finding and listening to good audiobooks helps tons. Doesn't matter if you are not a big reader, listening to a good story keeps your mind busy, makes the day go by quickly. It also gives you something to look forward to. In the morning I'm like, "Hey, I can finish that book today."

Many local libraries have audiobooks on CD, or have it set up so you can download them straight from their website. We joined Audible, a website you can go to and download books for a small fee.

I would have gone insane by now without my ipod.:laugh::laugh:

davis45
09-17-2008, 01:26 AM
Im not burned out. I just remember that SH!T HOLE of a factory I used to work in, makes me love my job even that much more.

I worked for a company called Hydro-gear, should sound familiar to alot of you. We made lawn mower transmissions. I would stand at a CNC Machine, from 6AM to 6PM, 12 hour nights machining transmission cases. NEVER AGAIN.

02DURAMAX
09-17-2008, 02:37 AM
Im not I love this JOb!!!!!...Also I cant wait for Winter Time to PLOW!!!!

whoopassonthebluegrass
09-17-2008, 03:01 AM
Yeah, this line of work offers ZERO mental stimulation. I swear I'm a zombie out doing the yards. I didn't even bother going out today. I know my customers won't care, so I take advantage... Now here I am posting on lawnsite, even though the alarm is going off in 5 hours. Nothing like mowing in 38 degree darkness...

ALC-GregH
09-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Happens to me every year in August, and usually leaves by October. By December 1, the only thing left to do is rake any remaining leaves and build hardscapes. This winter I will be learning a new trade: antique clock repair. Yes-sir-ree! My apprenticeship will pay about $1200.00 per 40-hour week. The owner of the clock shop has asked me to come in when it's rainy outside and learn if time permits. It will sure be nice to have a "soft" job for the winter months. Maybe you should look to do something like this that interests you.

My father did this type of work (watch and clock repair) after he retired from the government. Don't think it's as easy as you may think. I use to carry 3 screws that my dad gave me. They were so small that they appeared to be a tin speck of dirt about the size of a hair! You couldn't tell they were flat head screws until you used a magnifying glass! Trust me, it's not as easy as you think. Best of luck to you though, clock repair isn't quite as bad, alittle bit bigger to deal with but still very small and tedious. I still have the watch he gave me when I was a kid. It has my last name in "glow in the dark' ink where Timex would be.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-17-2008, 09:54 AM
I can see where you might get the Aug burnout...
For me though, when Fall temps and colors start setting in, it invigorates me to finish strong. Nothing better than mowing a full day and really not breaking much of a sweat because it is so cool outside.

Chilehead
09-17-2008, 03:01 PM
My father did this type of work (watch and clock repair) after he retired from the government. Don't think it's as easy as you may think. I use to carry 3 screws that my dad gave me. They were so small that they appeared to be a tin speck of dirt about the size of a hair! You couldn't tell they were flat head screws until you used a magnifying glass! Trust me, it's not as easy as you think. Best of luck to you though, clock repair isn't quite as bad, alittle bit bigger to deal with but still very small and tedious. I still have the watch he gave me when I was a kid. It has my last name in "glow in the dark' ink where Timex would be.

Thanks for the input. The thing I like about clocks is the mechanical genius that makes them what they are. You should see the owner's workshop. There is table after table of clock pieces all laid out in sections, so he can remember how to reassemble the timepiece. It's really cool that I'll be doing this because I always wanted to tinker with old clocks as a hobby! They always interested me, and now look what I'll be doing.:)

Genlandscape
09-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Would love to be working in "fall temps", but here it is still 90 deg. every day with no end in sight. Leaves don't turn either, they just brown out and fall if we do get a freeze. This only happens about once a year. I think burnout rates must be a little highr in the deep south because the season NEVER ends!!