PDA

View Full Version : what walkbehind do you use ?

lot0210
09-16-2008, 11:32 PM
What walkbehind do you use and why with the pros and cons and try to be honest no fanboy stuff plz and no bickering just have several models in mind and want to see what you use and think on different ones.

p.s sorry about the run on sentance.:cry:

tamadrummer
09-16-2008, 11:45 PM
22" Toro recycler because it was given to me.

John Deere G15 because they only offer one 36" mower otherwise I would have gotten a hydro in the 36" range from them.

I hate the belt drive part but the timed blade deck leaves an impeccable cut.

delphied
09-17-2008, 12:10 AM
I have a Toro 44 belt and a TTHP 48 Hydro. Hydro is the way to go if its not a trailer queen. WB for ditches and slopes and smaller lots. I would rather have a Wright Stander.

lawnprosteveo
09-20-2008, 01:30 AM
Toro 36 wb gear drive...15hp kohler...use it as a backyard and steep hills mower. Lots of bang for the buck...cuts pretty good and has been very reliable.

ProTouch Groundscapes
09-20-2008, 01:31 AM
lawnboy 21"

and a 48" Scag Pro V cause its fast...

dura to the max
09-20-2008, 02:06 AM
currently 48" tthp. love ecs. good cut. mulches well. pulls proslide well.

previously had jd 48" hydro. good cut, disliked pistol grips. not enough deck volume. only discharged...good pulling sulky

scags were great. belt drives. i discharged w/ these as well. great cut. good deck volume. tough as nails. pulled sulky great.

my 36" bd toro was good too. good cut, easiest out of all to operate. (it was hard to lift the front of the deck while mowing to improve cut though, t-bar).

had a 52" snapper that i got from a trade to help out a local church. good cut. decent controls. pulled great. was old and had few if any major issues. it was the oldest of the machines ive had.

tthp and scags are about equal imo. the others are pretty good too. i dont keep machines too long, so i cant say on the longevity.

topsites
09-20-2008, 02:59 AM
Mine are two 48" fixed deck Toros, gear drive 15 hp Kohlers.

You either love them or hate them, and you know the reasons why and if you don't then you have never tried a 4-foot fixed deck.

All I use, other than the Z.

pinto n mwr
09-20-2008, 03:22 AM
what do you need a walk behind for, a ztr cuts everything

02DURAMAX
09-20-2008, 03:57 AM
2008 Scag SWZ 48" 18hp Honda LOve it best cut ever and no problem yet in 100HRS!!!!

jrc lawncare
09-20-2008, 07:06 AM
I like my tthps as well.......http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d25/jrservices/newmower.jpg:)

metro36
09-20-2008, 08:31 AM
Currently I use lesco but I am not crazy about the pistol grips. Soon it will be a toro.

steve m
09-20-2008, 08:40 AM
36 in gravely & 50 in gravely they cut well and easy deck adjust have some customers like at different heights

gardenkeeper88
09-20-2008, 09:25 AM

Front yard is approx 15X18 yes i can turn Z around but the lines are :dizzy:. LOL I have 13 lawns in one neighbor hood move my truck only twice after i first park. Also what about that 4' gate. My great dane fits

So to actually answer the thread. Other than my 21 work we use great dane standers and 1 hustler mini Z. Standers are much better than a walkbehind for most situation. So glad I traded my Toros for the danes.

East Coast Lawn Choppers
09-20-2008, 09:26 AM
Scag 52" Hydro Advantage Deck Ultimate: full floating deck easy to adjust height maneuvers great only downfall I've found is reverse could be a little fast...

Exmark 52" Turf Tracer ECS (not hp) Kohler 23 hp: about the same as the scag on most parts except it backs up faster, but it is light in the front and pulls the deck up too often. (made a weight for under the cross brace to get rid of that problem and works great now. I have three of these and I'm getting rid of two of them soon due to business going in other direction... hardscaping)

P.S. the comment that who needs a walkbehind a ZTR does it all... I use my walkbehinds on some hills that the previous people did with brush cutters, I'd never even attempt a ZTR on those hills. Also our one development we do request that we use no big mowers on their small front lawns...

topsites
09-20-2008, 12:36 PM

I think the cost might have something to do with it :p

MileHigh
09-20-2008, 12:46 PM

yea...like those back yards?..

I use Hydro exmark WB's tthp and viking...my belt gets used on two lawns all week.

Elite Outdoor
09-20-2008, 02:24 PM
I use a gravely 36". I bought new a few years back, and now it has about 600 hrs. Its been bomb proof until just the other day when I spun out a bairing in the transmission.

MTR999
09-20-2008, 02:52 PM

We have lots of hilly properties, Z won't hold well when it is wet after rainy nights, safety is number 1 priority. Secondly, wet lawn will not stand the turns by any Z on slope, turf damage is career ender here, especially high-end million dollar and up estates.
Every machine has its own niche, you can't say that a Z can do everything, if it can, we won't never ever hear death accident from Z flippin over from hill, pond, lake and such.

lot0210
09-20-2008, 04:44 PM
I think the cost might have something to do with it :p

Right on target.:gunsfirin topsites. Especaly whene your just starting. I would love to buy a z right off but a wb will do well then whene I have the funds I willl get a z for big accounts but see the viability of keeping a wb on hand after as well

pinto n mwr
09-20-2008, 07:23 PM
I guess no one got that one. A Z will not do everything. I realize that. Up here dumb dumbs like using a Z for everything, I mean everthing. Z's are nice and do a great job and can cut costs but if you give me a 48 and let me mow some properties and give another guy a Z and a 48 on the smae properties I'll smoke'm everytime.

buttaluv
09-20-2008, 10:03 PM
I guess no one got that one. A Z will not do everything. I realize that. Up here dumb dumbs like using a Z for everything, I mean everthing. Z's are nice and do a great job and can cut costs but if you give me a 48 and let me mow some properties and give another guy a Z and a 48 on the smae properties I'll smoke'm everytime.

AMEN!! to that

dura to the max
09-20-2008, 11:21 PM
all the replies regarding the necessity are great. w/b have there place on most trailers around here...

elite lawns
09-20-2008, 11:28 PM
Exmark here all 4 mowers