PDA

View Full Version : Should I go commercial or stay resedential

aahotard
09-16-2008, 11:34 PM
Okay, I need a new mower and I do about 15 small lawns a week. I was wondering if just a normal toro resedential 21" would be okay or is this really too much work on a resedential engine and I should go for a commercial 21"

bigw
09-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Okay, I need a new mower and I do about 15 small lawns a week. I was wondering if just a normal toro resedential 21" would be okay or is this really too much work on a resedential engine and I should go for a commercial 21"

Are you even serious, why not graduate from the 21" and go to atleast a 36", i mean you have 15 accounts and growing right? I wouldnt even be considering anything under a 36 i dont care how small those lawns are.

aahotard
09-16-2008, 11:45 PM
well the lawns are so small. and i really am not planning on growing this is just a after school job. 15 lawns is plenty enough where i am. Are you saying if you were in the position i am you still would go for a 36"

bigw
09-16-2008, 11:50 PM
well the lawns are so small. and i really am not planning on growing this is just a after school job. 15 lawns is plenty enough where i am. Are you saying if you were in the position i am you still would go for a 36"

why take 15 mins to cut the lawn when you can do it in 7? I dont know i just think if your going to be in the business a commercial 36 would be more appropiate and look more professional but do what you can afford!

aahotard
09-16-2008, 11:56 PM
i know really. All i got to work with is a little over 1500. Seems like all my money would be gone after that purchase. and since i'm not planning on growing. seems like it would take a little while to get that money back.

LALawnboy
09-17-2008, 03:04 AM
You're in the same position I was when I first started cutting. My dad and I used residential Lawnboys (the old staggered deck) for years. I eventually upgraded to a Commercial Lawnboy, and now an Exmark Metro 21. True, I could have gone ahead and upgraded to a 32" or 36" walk behind, but I like the setup I have now. I don't have large yards, and to be honest, some of the gates at the yards I mow would be tought to fit a 32" through. I currently work from the back of my truck and it works out great for me. Everyone's situation is different. Since you're in New Orleans, I somewhat have an idea as to the types of yards you're cutting. Personally, and I know I'll probably get ransacked on here for saying this, but I think you can get by for now with a residential unit. You said that you have about $1,500 to spend. You could drop that on a commercial 21, but you'd only have about $300 left. If I were you, I'd go ahead with the residential unit, save save save your money, and eventually upgrade. After you upgrade, you can keep the residential in case your commercial equipment ever goes down. You don't learn to appreciate having a backup that much until you do get to the point where you're main unit is broken down and you have nothing else to use. Too many times I see guys drop all this coin on brand spanking new commercial equipment and they're so far into debt that all the money they make simply goes to paying that nice machinery off and none of it is going into your pocket. Hope this helps,

Todd

shepoutside
09-17-2008, 07:22 AM
Means your not planning on growing, then why invest all your money on new. Look for a used commercial, or buy what you can afford. The commercial mower usually have more power,( may not be needed) bearing wheels ( you can change to that later) and a larger gas tank ( 15 yards, this isn't a big deal either) The engines are usually heavy duty, but for 15 lawns, I'd run a non-commercial.( I now run mostly commercial, as i have 125 lawns per crew, but still have a few non commercial lawn-boys in use) Just make sure the cut is nice, as this is the real signature of your work, not what you use.

ALC-GregH
09-17-2008, 07:54 AM
so your a lowballer working under the table doing work for extra money? Stick to the education first. When you have the knowledge to know the answer to a simple question like this, then you can work honestly.

mowisme
09-17-2008, 08:33 AM
I agree on the schooling- But far from a 'lowballer'. A lowballer steals accounts and does his for lot less than average LCO. Nothing wrong with young man making money while in school. Wish more young people I see were willing to do that instead of hanging at the Mall or something. Amount of accounts is his buisness as is yours/mine/everyone elses their own. No one but him knows his goals-his time avaiable to work outside of school. If he had loans out on equipment..and big number of accounts, then he wouldn't have time or be able to focus on his school or future goals. I personally think school should be his priority..Then mowing what he can to help the cost..or say 'saving account'. he's not a 'lowballer'..he's a 'Working young man'. He's surely not a threat to this buisness- more like a 'rareity' in young men these days and my hats off to him. Geno

ALC-GregH
09-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Sorry, maybe "lowballer" is the wrong word. Does he have insurance, pay taxes, workers comp? At 14 or whatever age he is, I bet he doesn't.