PDA

View Full Version : Retaining customers from the previous year

Jmill88
09-17-2008, 01:09 AM
How do you guys go about retaining your customers from the previous season? Do you contact them before spring and ask if they want to use you again or do you assume they will unless you hear from them? Thanks in advance.

davis45
09-17-2008, 01:14 AM
Send a note out with the last invoice for the season. Basically saying we will return next spring unless notified and told otherwise over the winter.

Jmill88
09-17-2008, 01:35 AM
Thats sounds good. I'm starting next year and it is great to have so many experienced professionals!

stevenf
09-17-2008, 02:29 AM
Thats a really good Idea. Easy way to start earlier and not miss out on the first 1-2 cuts of the year contacting everyone.

whoopassonthebluegrass
09-17-2008, 03:03 AM
Our contract states that they're permanently a customer until they notify us otherwise. We also offer prepay incentives in the fall to lock them in. This is primarily on the chemical side, but last year we needed some serious $$$ for winter so I offered a "baker's dozen" - prepay for 12, get 13...

02DURAMAX
09-18-2008, 12:11 AM
They all know I come Back unless they call.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-18-2008, 01:13 AM
Good thread. I may take that advice and send a letter advising I plan on working for my current customers again next year unless notified otherwise.

Another thought - I was planning (in a letter) to offer sign-in-advance pricing for next season. Basically, I will offer per-cut price for next season at the end of this season which will be better pricing than if the customer waits to tell me they want to do the work until next Spring. I really want to avoid having customers hold out on me until next May - a guy gets nervous over the winter if his customer base is still hanging, know what I mean?

For those that just send a letter advising they plan on doing the work next season, how does that work out for you? Do people call you t'd off that you assume you will get the job again? Also, how do you deal with increases in pricing that you plan to implement, do you state your price in that letter?

ACA L&L
09-18-2008, 01:22 AM
We set up there aeration, powerake and fert in the fall, schedule it for the spring, this way they r all ready to go when the temps r right. Makes it easy on us. We follow the KISS system makes everything just a little less confusing.

Morningside
09-18-2008, 08:16 AM
for my "must have" customers (big money accts.) i will take a picture of their prop. in the growing season and send it to them as a christmas card. it reminds them how well it looked when we cut it. nothing is ever assumed coming into a new season. i will tell them in the fall during cleanups that my schd. fills quickly and not to wait. my rye customers never stop service.

J&R Landscaping
09-18-2008, 12:42 PM
I talk to my customers throughout the season to make sure they are happy with the work and that all their needs are being addressed. I usually talk to them in the fall and tell them about the winter services I offer. I let them know I'll check in over the winter and be in contact with them in the spring.
Most of them know they don't have to do anything. I'll start up again in the spring unless I hear otherwise from them!