PDA

View Full Version : Chapter 7 Hurts me AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SpruceLandscape
09-17-2008, 11:02 AM
For the second time this year I have had a customer file Chapter 7 and list me as a creditor....

First time I got stiffed for just over $900
This time I'm getting stiffed for $1885...
Looks like I'm going to have to require people to pay 50% up front on any kind of install work I do from now on. Not sure how many more deadbeats I can afford to take before I'm outta bus...

This has definately been a bad year:confused:

Flow Control
09-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Try losing 10x that, and more then once. Got stiffed by a LCO for 23k a few years back. Now I am stilling trying to collect 30k for work completed in 07.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Boy, I would definitely take a % down on a large project - get the customers skin in the game. 50% doesn't sound bad to me. You know you are going to do the work, now you need to know that the suckers will pay up.

mowjoe666
09-19-2008, 11:44 PM
When you extend credit to these customers, do you do a credit report or ask for any collateral?

LawnTamer
09-20-2008, 12:58 AM
When you extend credit to these customers, do you do a credit report or ask for any collateral?

In most states, if you do a job and leave the property without asking for payment, it is considered an extension of credit.

There was a guy on here, used to post a lot, he would tell people up front that payment was due upon completion, if they tried to not pay, he would stand on the front porch and call the cops, he would report it as a theft, same as if someone ate at a restaurant and tried to leave without paying. The people would usually pay right then, if they didn't, they still couldn't write him off in a bankruptcy.

PROCUT1
09-20-2008, 01:05 AM
In most states, if you do a job and leave the property without asking for payment, it is considered an extension of credit.

There was a guy on here, used to post a lot, he would tell people up front that payment was due upon completion, if they tried to not pay, he would stand on the front porch and call the cops, he would report it as a theft, same as if someone ate at a restaurant and tried to leave without paying. The people would usually pay right then, if they didn't, they still couldn't write him off in a bankruptcy.

Yep and everyone used to make fun of that guys collection practices....But hes not holding his hand on his butt for 30g right now i bet

LawnTamer
09-20-2008, 02:18 AM
Yep and everyone used to make fun of that guys collection practices....But hes not holding his hand on his butt for 30g right now i bet

Nope, I imagine he is passed out drunk this fine Friday night.

People make fun of BG, I did too, but he had some really good points. I guess a buncha people threw tantrums when he got back on, threatened to leave, and a bunch of silly BS, truth is, I thought it was pretty fun having him back.

lawnman_scott
09-20-2008, 05:13 AM

There was a guy on here, used to post a lot, he would tell people up front that payment was due upon completion, if they tried to not pay, he would stand on the front porch and call the cops, he would report it as a theft, same as if someone ate at a restaurant and tried to leave without paying. The people would usually pay right then, if they didn't, they still couldn't write him off in a bankruptcy.I charge in advance, before work is done and I have for years. Its the only way. Bobby had a great point, but all the people would have to do is say they arent happy with the work and the cops (if they would even bother to come since its a civil matter) would ask him to leave and settle it in court. Its not theft of service, I have checked into this, and as insane as it is, theft of service laws dont apply here.

YardPro
09-20-2008, 08:43 AM

that guy has been from here banned twice, and has also been banned from every other lawn care board.....

don't believe his posts.. they were all BS.....

LawnTamer
09-20-2008, 10:07 AM
that guy has been from here banned twice, and has also been banned from every other lawn care board.....

He was banned because people have thin skin. Is BG full of BS? Sure. Doesn't hurt anyone though, neither did gropey and he got banned too.

I think the reason for calling the police isn't necessarily to have the person arrested or to have the police really deal with it at all, I think it is to have a record, to show that you didn't just tell the person, "That's OK, pay whenever you want." I know people other than BG who do this.

topsites
09-20-2008, 11:42 AM
No...
I believe the reason BG and certain others were and continue to be banned is
because their advice is given out with the specific intent to trip other Lco's up,
and to make matters worse it is a constant and unrelenting effort.

There were stories of Lco's creating multiple accounts, folks who didn't even exist
and responding to each other so as to affirm their own advice, it was that dirty and worse.

It's one thing to give bad advice accidentally, meaning one believes the advice
to be good at the time and so long an Lco practices what they preach and
their own advice burns them too, I have but so much of a problem there, can't
argue but so hard with that.

And to give bad advice on occasion, to joke about things, even good advice
here turns into great comedy from time to time, fine.

But a constant, consistent effort made for the sole purpose to mess others up,
to go out of one's own way to stifle competition in this manner, to know the
ropes and yet teach the opposite, and then to never relent or fess up and let
on that all right it's kind of a silly thing and maybe turn around at some point,
anyhow that I think is going too far.

Because when we give bad advice this eventually ends up in the customer's minds.
More than a few customers look up to us for advice, and when we give bad advice here
that ends up on the streets, what we get eventually is a slew of uneducated customers.
And I say uneducated because that's how it comes across, but in truth they are miss informed.
And I speak from experience when I say that miss-informed customers are some of the worst folks
I have dealt with, more so when they are uneducated because they are following bad advice that
they heard from another Lco, once a customer firmly believes such a lie to try and turn this customer
around is about like pulling teeth.
They not only don't know whom to believe, they might think you or I is the liar, and in conclusion it gives us all a bad name.

That's not to mention what it does to the forum's credibility.

So ...
By always giving good advice we do create a slew of competition and that does hurt in ways too,
but given the choice I find bad advice to be the worse of the alternatives.

Gene $immons
09-20-2008, 01:38 PM
I never understood why Bobby was gone from here. But I don't read every post either.

So he gave some bad advice? Or was full of BS? So what, I take anything I read on a message board with a grain of salt.

I thought he was funny. But what do I know?

mngrassguy
09-23-2008, 01:45 AM
He reminded me of the kid in school who always got picked on because of the stupid things her would say. Like the French.:laugh:

I got bit by a chapter 7 in my first year in business. LCO got me for $3,000 for snowblowing for 1 month. They were a very big company here. I ended up with several of their accounts though.

LindblomRJ
09-23-2008, 04:43 AM

True. And he post the same crap over and over over and over.

Whatever valid point he/it might have had were lost due to his trollish nature and being full of more B/S than a loaded manure spreader.

ericmcj31
09-23-2008, 06:24 AM
I personally liked BG and his non-sense posts! Did he get banned again?

Ramairfreak98ss
09-23-2008, 08:09 PM
For the second time this year I have had a customer file Chapter 7 and list me as a creditor....

First time I got stiffed for just over $900
This time I'm getting stiffed for $1885...
Looks like I'm going to have to require people to pay 50% up front on any kind of install work I do from now on. Not sure how many more deadbeats I can afford to take before I'm outta bus...

This has definately been a bad year:confused:

Sucks spruce.. I like your truck graphics there!

How is it that clients got $900 and $1885 worth of work done, and then just didnt pay and filed for bankrupcy and lost their house in a short time? I mean im SURE ist all very possible, just thinking of our own accounts, and anyone that doesnt pay a lawn bill or i loose touch with is done.

Anyone doing landscape work, probably isnt "losing" their house ya know. What were you doing for these amounts?

Were they in good areas or bad? Ive never had someone do that, yet, but a bunch we've taken to court and then they barely pay anything and we still have to force payments through the bank and crap just for a couple hundred.

We did some sub contracting work for another company that had work subbed to them, that had it subbed to them for the MAIN company.

Get this, the main company pays the first sub company, which is a large management company, then they take ALL money and invest it into some other work they are doing, meanwhile, the sub company below them is waiting on, lets just say i could buy just about ANY domestic high end car for this amount. Then, that company is not only out all of their profits/amounts, but Im still waiting around like, hello? where is my portion that you need to pay me 5 months ago?

I now find out that this "big " main company might go under because of it and most likely will by ways that they are not paying anything :( It will surely hurt going into the winter and still not seeing a dime of this big invoice. Instead of us having new/extra equipment we thought we'd have done deals with and sitting in the garage last month, were now facing the facts that it might not happen at all or we may run into problems on our own because we don't have the necessary equipment for specific jobs we've had bids on :/

Cant you not do chapter 7s anymore? Most are repayment plan ones so you have to get paid "some" of the amount like 25-50%, still sucks but its better than nothing.

brandtb1
09-25-2008, 11:03 AM
It would look good for referalls if you are standing on some one's porch waiting for the cops to show up. They would not respond to that call in my area. Losing the money sucks and happens to every type of business out there. I would try to gauge how people or other companies pay you. If they drag their feet, or slow pay, stay on them harder than others. If they constantly forget to send the check or something else, tell them you will pick it up when you are there or make a special trip to get it. Make sure you write the loss off on your taxes if you do not get any of it. That will help a little bit.

SpruceLandscape
09-26-2008, 07:31 AM
Ramair, you hit the nail right on the head...
I'm still small potatoes next to a lot of the competition in my area, so biggest goal is to continue to grow, expand, and buy more/better equipment with profits. But, in just the last year, I've had to send 8 customers to collections for snow plowing work, lawn maint., or smaller few hundred dollar amounts here and there. Then you add these two yahoos, and now I've had 10 nonpayments, labor that I've had to pay out, along with material and fuel bills tied up in each one of those.
I know that to a lot of other LCO's on here thats nothing, but I only have about 30 regular customers this year, and although the spring was good, summer saw a MAJOR slow down of calls for new work. That's a huge percentage for me to swallow when everything else is slow right now.
No, its not going to kill me, but it definately changes plans for this winter, which affects this coming spring, etc... Just aggravating...

SpruceLandscape
09-26-2008, 07:35 AM
This last customer I found out is a HUGE scam artist. He just filed Chapter 7 earlier this year on his own due to a bunch of Judgements he had against him on a realestate scam he tried to pull. He did 18 months in jail for fraud, and theft against the elderly, etc. So, in the mean time I've had to have my attorney look into his case because this time he lawyered up for his bankruptcy filing. But I don't know how he is going to be allowed to file again just 6 or 7 months after he filed earlier this year.