PDA

View Full Version : Sore Looser

redbug
09-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Well you hear the old cliche all the time but till last night I never thought I would see it happen. The former landscaper decided to take retribution on the lawn by spraying his bill of 100 dollars into the lawn with roundup. I would like to thank this mutt for hooking me up with this and several new accounts already but please come and take care of my lawn and not my customers. Im equiped to deal with you.

Ramairfreak98ss
09-17-2008, 04:13 PM
you said his $100 bill? meaning the person owes them $10o still and you just took over the account? i know it sucks, but aint your fault, let the client deal with what problems they caused ya know. We've never done anything like that, but yeah we've all thought of it. I would pay someone $100 to do that to some peoples lawns though, but 100 in the center of a half acre haha

MisfitBobletts
09-17-2008, 04:24 PM
isnt the bill gonna go up now for the round up app. :dancing:

ed2hess
09-17-2008, 05:48 PM
So you are thanking this guy for helping you get new deadbeat customers
that don't pay their bills:hammerhead: Am I missing something.

lawnjockey56
09-17-2008, 05:50 PM
loser is just one o

cleancutslawncare
09-17-2008, 06:31 PM
I don't get it?.?. Why would you want to take on an account that is already past due $100 to another LCO? What makes you think they are going to pay you for the work you do? :confused: I'd say the customer has probably been a slow or no pay for a while for a LCO to do something like that to the yard.

Runner
09-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Does it say $100 from the walk, or does it say OOPS from the lawn? lol

Even Cut Lawn Care
09-17-2008, 07:50 PM
this doesn't make sense!

IN2MOWN
09-17-2008, 07:51 PM
IMO its vandalism and if I was the customer I would call the police and report it.

delphied
09-17-2008, 09:56 PM
IMO its vandalism and if I was the customer I would call the police and report it.

IMO its a lawnboy thats got a set. Two wrongs dont make a right but this not paying stuff needs retribution. Good for the lawnboy I say.

Lawn-Sharks
09-17-2008, 10:33 PM
I have two things to say-
1. The old LCO must be good with the Gly, because i have tried to draw ***** on my friends lawns (as a joke:laugh:) with little to no luck of my friends being able to make out my pictures!:cool2:

2. I have something similar but different, I had a customer fire her lawn guy and hire us.... after we signed her up for service she left to Georgia for a few months. Well two weeks in to mowing i notice that the lawn was dry & dieing and the irrigation controller is in the garage, so i call her and asked her- Did you turn off the irrigation when you left to save money??? she replied NO! i didn't, she then said that when she went in to the house to get her check to pay the last LCO she walked out and found him in the garage messing with the controller and when she asked what he was doing? he replied Nothing!.... That was BS! when i gained access to the controller, he not only turned it off he turned all 4 zones down to 2 minutes..So even if they were to figure it out and turn it back on it still would have killed the grass with all of this Florida heat!

Lamonicaslawnservice
09-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Wow. Good thing nothing like that happened to me on accounts that I have picked up. If I lose an account for them getting a cheaper guy I dont cry about it. I can only go so cheap so I say have it and I do a really good job my last cut and say have a good day.

mississippiturf
09-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Apparently the golden rule is a strech for some non-professional losers. While revenge is sometimes tempting, it is NOT professional.

delphied
09-17-2008, 11:35 PM
Apparently the golden rule is a strech for some non-professional losers. While revenge is sometimes tempting, it is NOT professional.

are lawnboys professionals?

Even Cut Lawn Care
09-17-2008, 11:48 PM
are lawnboys professionals?

Well not quite, they are a LCO in the making. Kinda like an apprentice.

milkie62
09-17-2008, 11:50 PM
You would not see this kinda thing happening to electricians.Lawn guys must think they own a customer once they get them and cannot switch....

swingset
09-18-2008, 03:10 AM
You would not see this kinda thing happening to electricians.Lawn guys must think they own a customer once they get them and cannot switch....

Thinking you own a customer's business, and not getting paid for services rendered are two very different things.

Looks to me like the customer doesn't pay their bills.

Tharrell
09-18-2008, 07:26 AM
If it could be proved who did it, wouldn't he lose his license? Tony

punt66
09-18-2008, 07:44 AM
Well many of my customers have fired a LCO. Some say they were over charging and others say they did a bad job. Some had really bad words for them and it always made me suspect about the customer being a PITA. But they never are! They turn out to be some of the best customers i have and spend alot of money with me. Most problems are in my experience incompetence of the LCO. Whether its in the form of bad service, over charging, attitude, bad communication,or cutting over or around a couple toys leaving uncut patches and wonder why they arnt getting paid. I have had only 1 customer in 4 years that i had trouble getting a check from and after sending a letter giving her 15 days to pay before going to collections i got the check and removed her off my list. I think most people forget the old saying "the customer is always right" and are not focused on the individuals needs. I go by that and give a little extra at each service and have only lost 1 account in 4 years with everybody paying their bills. So in my opinion its the LCO not the customers that are usually the problem.

IN2MOWN
09-18-2008, 08:42 AM
IMO its a lawnboy thats got a set. Two wrongs dont make a right but this not paying stuff needs retribution. Good for the lawnboy I say.

Its a hundred bucks. Once they call the cops its going to cost him way more then that to fix the yard and get a lawyer.

We dont even know the whole story.

Maybe he did a crappy job?
Maybe he didnt finish?

He broke the law over a lousy hundred dollars. Pretty lame IMO and not very good business practices.

ALC-GregH
09-18-2008, 08:47 AM
I hope the guy that did this gets hammers with fines out the you know what. It's guys like him that make this industry get a bad name.

ALC-GregH
09-18-2008, 08:51 AM
Hell, I have a or should I say HAD a customer that owes me $140 for 4 cuts. She said it was 3 cuts. I told her I wouldn't service her lawn again until I get paid. She said to don't bother coming back. At this point, I don't even want to bother even seeing her face. I KNOW she won't mail it to me so I might as well write it off. Wait, maybe I can write the amount in her lawn! :rolleyes:

redbug
09-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Guess I should complete the rest of the story that the unresolved bill was due to the fact she saw him back over her (over priced maybe) mail box with his trailer and she would pay him as soon as he repaired the damage he caused. As for a dead beat she is not. She called a month ago to start cuz he wasnt showing up and has paid faithfully and will most likely pay me to replace the sod. The fact that he did this with 3 other accounts on the same street is just foolish. His $100 loss is about to become $500 pluss a few clean ups. I can fully understand the agrivation of dead beats and have dealt with it in every business venture I have persued (and for a lot larger sums) but over $100 bucks? As for dead beats in general I never deal with them. If you dont like my price thats fine, quality work keeps me bussy enough not to have to haggle. This is a great business save the disguntled few with a sprayer full of roundup.

punt66
09-18-2008, 04:30 PM
Guess I should complete the rest of the story that the unresolved bill was due to the fact she saw him back over her (over priced maybe) mail box with his trailer and she would pay him as soon as he repaired the damage he caused. As for a dead beat she is not. She called a month ago to start cuz he wasnt showing up and has paid faithfully and will most likely pay me to replace the sod. The fact that he did this with 3 other accounts on the same street is just foolish. His $100 loss is about to become $500 pluss a few clean ups. I can fully understand the agrivation of dead beats and have dealt with it in every business venture I have persued (and for a lot larger sums) but over $100 bucks? As for dead beats in general I never deal with them. If you dont like my price thats fine, quality work keeps me bussy enough not to have to haggle. This is a great business save the disguntled few with a sprayer full of roundup.

Thats just as i figured. It usually is the LCO thats the problem. i think the home owner was fair and obviously didnt trust the lco and obviously for good reason.

STIHL GUY
09-19-2008, 12:20 AM
it does look pretty funny to see $100 in someones lawn

swingset
09-19-2008, 03:38 AM
I hope the guy that did this gets hammers with fines out the you know what. It's guys like him that make this industry get a bad name.

Do you think CSI is going to be out on that lawn investigating the crime, after police show up responding to a frantic 911 call that someone spelled $100 on the lawn?

Cops have better crap to do, and people who owe businesses money aren't likely to bring a lot of attention to that fact by complaining about a little section of dead grass.

Think.

IN2MOWN
09-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Do you think CSI is going to be out on that lawn investigating the crime, after police show up responding to a frantic 911 call that someone spelled $100 on the lawn?

Cops have better crap to do, and people who owe businesses money aren't likely to bring a lot of attention to that fact by complaining about a little section of dead grass.

Think.

You should think.

He's not talking about the cops. He is licensed through the state ag department and he's talking about them.

milkie62
09-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Looks like a MISUSE of herbicide if you ask me.If he has a license it should be revoked.Accidents will happen at times ,but this was no accident.

brucec32
09-20-2008, 12:35 AM

<buzzer> Wrong. My brother's an electrician and has to go to jobs regularly to do repairs where the builder or homeowner didn't pay the electricians or had a dispute and they have cut wires randomly throughout the house. I witnessed one myself when I rode along with him one day. What's worse is sometimes they only nick the wires hoping they'll drywall w/o noticing it and it will cause a future problem way down the line. Crazy dangerous.

<buzzer> Did you read what the roundup spelled? They didn't pay his bill. It wasn't just about changing lcos. He apparently felt they stiffed him as well.

brucec32
09-20-2008, 12:42 AM
Hell, I have a or should I say HAD a customer that owes me $140 for 4 cuts. She said it was 3 cuts. I told her I wouldn't service her lawn again until I get paid. She said to don't bother coming back. At this point, I don't even want to bother even seeing her face. I KNOW she won't mail it to me so I might as well write it off. Wait, maybe I can write the amount in her lawn! :rolleyes:

Tip for the future. Don't give away your hand. Politely state you were there 4 times and ask for full payment. If they refuse, say "ok, if you think it was just three, then just pay me for 3". Then after getting payment, dump them and you're only out $35 instead of $140. Then you can pursue the $35 if you really want with a nightly call to request payment or whatever you want to do.

If your payment terms don't allow you to get paid up full at least once a month then you should consider changing them so you have fewer bad debt losses. (example: request payment by the end of the month for that month) If you're always into them for 4 cuts or more they have the power. But once you're squared up you can then decide to keep them or drop them. And of course, never keep a customer who screws you out of so much as $1. You'll regret it eventually.

mowjoe666
09-20-2008, 01:10 AM
I would have to agree with some of the other guys here. Why would you want to mow someone's yard that is not going to pay you? All my clients pay me cash when I come and mow. I shedule a time when they are going to be there so they can pay when I mow. If they are not there I leave a note to call and reschedule they're appointment. This way I do not loose any money. I hope this helps you.

sweetz
09-20-2008, 01:27 AM
I would have to agree with some of the other guys here. Why would you want to mow someone's yard that is not going to pay you? All my clients pay me cash when I come and mow. I shedule a time when they are going to be there so they can pay when I mow. If they are not there I leave a note to call and reschedule they're appointment. This way I do not loose any money. I hope this helps you.

You've already lost money (for the gas) driving to the persons house to leave a note saying to call & reschedule (plus all of the time that you are wasting on the phone rescheduling these cuts). That's just my opinion. I'm not trying to argue with anyone or get anyone upset & I'm sorry if I did. :waving:

David Haggerty
09-20-2008, 07:27 AM
redbug; It's a crime. Report it here:http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/onestop/aes/pestcont.html
Or let the customer know where they could report it.

LushGreenLawn
09-20-2008, 07:52 AM

Once you mow more than a few lawns per week, you will change your tune on this. You are wasting alot of time and gas driving to peoples houses and not mowing the lawn. Also, you cannot schedule a full day of lawncare. What happens when one lawn runs a little over your time, are you then late to the rest of the lawns?

Think about this. If yo can cut 15 lawns in a day, and you save 2 minutes per lawn not collecting payment, you have an extra 30 minutes to cut another lawn. You will really save more time than that because most customers will want to talk and B/S, taking up more of your time. In this business, time is money.

Besides that, collecting payment at the door is just plain unprofessional. I have clients that have done that in the past with other company's, and they always talk about it in a negative way.

IN2MOWN
09-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Once you mow more than a few lawns per week, you will change your tune on this. You are wasting alot of time and gas driving to peoples houses and not mowing the lawn. Also, you cannot schedule a full day of lawncare. What happens when one lawn runs a little over your time, are you then late to the rest of the lawns?

Think about this. If yo can cut 15 lawns in a day, and you save 2 minutes per lawn not collecting payment, you have an extra 30 minutes to cut another lawn. You will really save more time than that because most customers will want to talk and B/S, taking up more of your time. In this business, time is money.

Besides that, collecting payment at the door is just plain unprofessional. I have clients that have done that in the past with other company's, and they always talk about it in a negative way.

The only time I collect at the door is when the customer requests it and I only have one who does that.

In the long run it saves time and money for both sides.

leafitalawn
09-20-2008, 11:02 AM
only a conspiracy theory... but how about this:

The person owes $100, then has a heated argument with the lco about it, and then writes $100 in their own lawn to screw the lco even more!!!

Really, If nobody saw him spray "$100", then how can he get in trouble.. maybe somebody he told about the problem could have done it without him knowing.

bohiaa
09-20-2008, 12:20 PM
werid how people act

punt66
09-20-2008, 05:51 PM
only a conspiracy theory... but how about this:

The person owes $100, then has a heated argument with the lco about it, and then writes $100 in their own lawn to screw the lco even more!!!

Really, If nobody saw him spray "$100", then how can he get in trouble.. maybe somebody he told about the problem could have done it without him knowing.

only a thief can think like a thief. hahha just kidding. sort of. Why the hell would somebody kill their own lawn they have been paying somebody to maintain? The guy broke the home owners mailbox and he didnt pay for it to be fixed. Am i the only one who read the thread or did i miss something?

KDJ
09-20-2008, 07:24 PM
I know someone that did a drive by with roundup and a tree sprayer. Now thats a sight to see. The bill was over a grand. He waited over a year, so he was forgotten about. Thats takes guts.

punt66
09-20-2008, 07:29 PM
I know someone that did a drive by with roundup and a tree sprayer. Now thats a sight to see. The bill was over a grand. He waited over a year, so he was forgotten about. Thats takes guts.

No not guts. Stupidity.

jsaunders
09-20-2008, 07:43 PM

X2

I want to see pics.!!!!:laugh::laugh:

brucec32
09-21-2008, 12:10 AM

I gotta comment on this. It well could be the case that he damaged the mailbox, but we don't KNOW that. What's she gonna say? "I'm a deadbeat and he finally got tired of it?" No, you'd get a BS story about what a lowlife the previous guy is. People whose lawn services quit coming out because of non-payment have to hire someone else don't they? Maybe she learned her lesson and knows to pay you on time because of her prior experience. Badmouthing the guy who dropped you to save face is hardly an unknown phenomena with women!

The red flag here is she claims she SAW him back over the mailbox. What are the odds of that? 80% of my customers are not home when I'm there. Of the rest are hardly sitting at the window waving as I leave. It's possible he did it of course but it's also possible that her claim of actually witnessing it is added to solidify her story. My mailbox has been taken out twice in 3 years and nobody's taken responsibility. One thing I'm pretty sure about is it wasn't the lawn guy!

Did anyone see the other lawns damaged? That would remove most doubts.

Finally, what moron drops a lucrative account over a $100 mailbox he damaged? Maybe the same kind who roundups $100 in the lawn! But I can't see someone who knows he owes the $100 doing that.

ps. Beware of these neighborhood clusters of work and realize that they have pros and cons. They're great when it's good, but when one decides they want to save a little money or gets annoyed at your collection letter they find a new cheaper guy and they usually take their neighbors with them with the promise of a "group discount!"

One of them being a complete deadbeat is EXACTLY the situation where you lose them all, as they save face with their neighbors by claiming some offense by your company. I had one guy about 15 years ago no-pay me for 2 months and then when I finally demanded payment he only then claimed I put a single flawed mark in his lawn around a water meter where the mower wheel dropped a couple of inches. I dropped him and never got paid. I noticed that the huge fallen tree laying accross most of his back lawn was still there a year later. That told me the guy was BROKE! The other 2 neighbors I did didn't renew next season. Coincidence? I doubt it since I retain over 90% of customers other than for the reason they moved or died.

jsaunders
09-21-2008, 12:38 AM
[QUOTE=brucec32;2522924] Badmouthing the guy who dropped you to save face is hardly an unknown phenomena with women!

:laugh::laugh:

My mailbox has been taken out twice in 3 years and nobody's taken responsibility. One thing I'm pretty sure about is it wasn't the lawn guy!

Liar!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ps. Beware of these neighborhood clusters of work and realize that they have pros and cons. They're great when it's good, but when one decides they want to save a little money or gets annoyed at your collection letter they find a new cheaper guy and they usually take their neighbors with them with the promise of a "group discount!"

Very well said Bruce!

punt66
09-21-2008, 07:27 AM
I gotta comment on this. It well could be the case that he damaged the mailbox, but we don't KNOW that. What's she gonna say? "I'm a deadbeat and he finally got tired of it?" No, you'd get a BS story about what a lowlife the previous guy is. People whose lawn services quit coming out because of non-payment have to hire someone else don't they? Maybe she learned her lesson and knows to pay you on time because of her prior experience. Badmouthing the guy who dropped you to save face is hardly an unknown phenomena with women!

The red flag here is she claims she SAW him back over the mailbox. What are the odds of that? 80% of my customers are not home when I'm there. Of the rest are hardly sitting at the window waving as I leave. It's possible he did it of course but it's also possible that her claim of actually witnessing it is added to solidify her story. My mailbox has been taken out twice in 3 years and nobody's taken responsibility. One thing I'm pretty sure about is it wasn't the lawn guy!

Did anyone see the other lawns damaged? That would remove most doubts.

Finally, what moron drops a lucrative account over a $100 mailbox he damaged? Maybe the same kind who roundups $100 in the lawn! But I can't see someone who knows he owes the $100 doing that.

One of them being a complete deadbeat is EXACTLY the situation where you lose them all, as they save face with their neighbors by claiming some offense by your company. I had one guy about 15 years ago no-pay me for 2 months and then when I finally demanded payment he only then claimed I put a single flawed mark in his lawn around a water meter where the mower wheel dropped a couple of inches. I dropped him and never got paid. I noticed that the huge fallen tree laying accross most of his back lawn was still there a year later. That told me the guy was BROKE! The other 2 neighbors I did didn't renew next season. Coincidence? I doubt it since I retain over 90% of customers other than for the reason they moved or died.

The incident occured in Florida. The white cap retirement capital of the US. They are all home and the retired are always watching.

sweetz
09-21-2008, 02:42 PM
The incident occured in Florida. The white cap retirement capital of the US. They are all home and the retired are always watching.

The accounts that I've got that are retirees (which is quite a few!) are always watching! This is VERY true!:laugh::laugh::laugh: