PDA

View Full Version : Scag or Exmark?? Help please !!

JR LEWIS
09-17-2008, 02:06 PM
I am new to this site but from reading through some threads, I have narrowed down my search for a 60" Zero turn to Scag or Exmark. I am mowing approx. 4 acres at my home. Nothing more, as in commercial work. I do want something to last a long time. I'm sure they both will do a great job. I've seen both.

I was at the Exmark dealer and he told me he use to carry Scag and Ferris. He said the biggest problems he had with them were getting the pumps overheated. He went on to tell me that they both use a 10w30 oil in the pumps, so they need oil coolers. Then the fans draw dandelions and dust.... into the cooler radiator and if they are not kept clean, the pumps will oveerheat and burn up.

He said the Exmark uses a synthetic oil in the pumps and does not require a cooler because of that.

Please help with any and all advise. Both mowers are in the $8700.00 range. It's a lot of money for me, but I want to be the best the first time and not have to worry about these sort of things, right off the bat. I know things happen and can accept that, but with all the knowledge and experience from you folks on this site, I'm hoping to hear your advise on these two machines.

Thank you in advance,

J.R.

jkingrph
09-17-2008, 02:34 PM
I have a Scag Wildcat and it has a hydro cooler. I have never had any problems with it clogging up. I did convert over to synthetic oil in the hydro system. Most if not all hydro systems use motor oil, the specs on mine require 20w50. I am into my third year of use , homeowner only and no problems. The one thing I do prefer on the Scag, vs the Exmark at the time I purchased was that Scag had user greasable spindle bearings, as well as grease fittings everewhere. The Exmark used sealed ball bearings on blade spindles, and my experience with this setup in the past was less than satisfactory, although not on a unit of the Exmark quality.

ffemt1271
09-17-2008, 03:07 PM
i've had exmarks since 2003. from 36" up to 72". i have only good things to say about then. never had a major breakdown, never had trouble getting parts (i have a good dealer though) and never had trouble with any of the bearings as mentioned earlier.
mine also uses synthetic hydro oil with no cooler, never had a problem with it overheating.if you are going to use it for homeowner only it should last you forever.

JR LEWIS
09-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the input. I guess it's a coin toss. The models I am looking at are the 2760 Exmark. Has 27 hp Koehler. The Scag is a Turf Tiger with a 27hp Koehler. Both are 60" decks. Someone call it. Heads, Exmark, Tails, Scag !!!!

Intricate
09-17-2008, 04:11 PM
When I was deciding on which brand mower to buy for my residential property, I too wanted something of a commercial grade. So I would look at all the professional crews as I drove around doing my day job and noticed that, for my area, Central Texas, Scag was on a great majority of trailers. I'd say 6 or every 10. Exmark, Toro, and Hustler rounded out the rest.

I haven't read a bad major review of a Scag mower and the closest Scag dealer has a great reputation.

I went with Scag and haven't had a single regret.

But I'm sure you'll be happy with any of the above. They all make great products.

EDIT: I just saw that you were in the market for a Turf Tiger. I would love to have something like that in the budget. :(

JR LEWIS
09-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm demoing the Turf Tiger tomorrow. It's in a crate at the moment. Both Scag and Exmark dealers are within 7 miles of my home in opposite directions. Both have VERY good reputations in our area and are 3rd generation shops. I've got them both down to rock bottom, cash, out the door prices of... Scag, Turf Tiger, $ 8849.00.. The Exmark 2760, $8525.00. The Scag dealer says there is no comparison between the two. He says the Wildcat is more of a apples to apples comparison, but I like the Turf Tiger model. Is the $325.00 difference worth getting the Scag? They both are very nice.

Thanks again,

J.R.

jkingrph
09-17-2008, 05:39 PM
If the Wildcat is a better comparison, my 52" was $7500 plus tax a couple of years ago. I think for the 325 with same engine I would go the Turf TIger, That thing is built like a tank, plus shaft drive to the deck so there is one less belt to worry about.

JR LEWIS
09-17-2008, 05:54 PM
I actually will not be paying sales tax. The Scag dealer is in Maryland. I live in PA. Only 6 miles from the state line. Being a out of state resident, no tax is to be collected. Just like ordering off the internet. I work in Maryland, so I could use my work address for the Exmark and not have to pay tax. That's a real good savings on both. Over $500.00. Leaning towards Scag, right now.

Mike Blevins
09-17-2008, 06:21 PM
I am new to this site but from reading through some threads, I have narrowed down my search for a 60" Zero turn to Scag or Exmark. I am mowing approx. 4 acres at my home. Nothing more, as in commercial work. I do want something to last a long time. I'm sure they both will do a great job. I've seen both.

I was at the Exmark dealer and he told me he use to carry Scag and Ferris. He said the biggest problems he had with them were getting the pumps overheated. He went on to tell me that they both use a 10w30 oil in the pumps, so they need oil coolers. Then the fans draw dandelions and dust.... into the cooler radiator and if they are not kept clean, the pumps will oveerheat and burn up.

He said the Exmark uses a synthetic oil in the pumps and does not require a cooler because of that.

Please help with any and all advise. Both mowers are in the $8700.00 range. It's a lot of money for me, but I want to be the best the first time and not have to worry about these sort of things, right off the bat. I know things happen and can accept that, but with all the knowledge and experience from you folks on this site, I'm hoping to hear your advise on these two machines.

Thank you in advance,

J.R.

Scag's recomendation for its hydro oil is 20w50. As far as your dealer telling you that they "need" oil coolers I would disagree. I would say that scag uses oil coolers to take their hydro systems to the next level. Another thing to look at is if you put in synthetic 20w50 in the Scag's hydro system then it must be bulletproof because it has an oil cooler also. Unlike the Exmark. Both great choices but after running Scag for the last five years I am a little biased. Good luck with your choice! whatever you get let us lawn junkies see some pics!

Genlandscape
09-17-2008, 06:49 PM
You will get many opinions on this site. I am an eXmark guy and there are alot of Scag guys on here too. In my opinion it boils down to dealer support, and the machine that cuts your property better. I would demo both machines and purchase the one that better suits your needs. As far as quality, both of these products are "legendary' in this field, and opinions don't matter. Some machines cut different turf types better than others.

Ztwo
09-17-2008, 07:10 PM
I worked with a guy for years that used scag,they are great mowers. I started my own business and bought an exmark 60 inch liquid the exmark stripes alot better than the scag but the scags do better on hills. I would go with the exmark because they stripe so much better.

ed2hess
09-17-2008, 11:12 PM
If I only had 4 acres to mow I wouldn't spend extra money on the top end of the Scag line I would think the Tiger Cub 60" would do the job. I got one and has a very very good cut and with the Kohler engine I got it for just a little over $7K, flat free tires and the confe seat. And this unit is easy to work on....even hydro belt replacement isn't bad.

green monster
09-18-2008, 03:48 AM
You can't go wrong with either Scag or ExMark. I know guys who have both and they swear by them. These are probably the two most well respected names in the business. ExMark is a bigger company and they have more dealers, but if you have a Scag dealer you like that is close to you, that won't matter much.

ALC-GregH
09-18-2008, 10:15 AM
I actually will not be paying sales tax. The Scag dealer is in Maryland. I live in PA. Only 6 miles from the state line. Being a out of state resident, no tax is to be collected. Just like ordering off the internet. I work in Maryland, so I could use my work address for the Exmark and not have to pay tax. That's a real good savings on both. Over $500.00. Leaning towards Scag, right now.

I know where your buying it.
Did you talk to Paul or Robert? I've been dealing with Paul and he's helped out alot. Robert is no different though. Both are nice people.

Hey, you could save the trouble and money and just pay me to take care of your place. I have a Scag with 60in deck. It will handle anything I throw at it. :D

JR LEWIS
09-18-2008, 02:10 PM
I know where your buying it.
Did you talk to Paul or Robert? I've been dealing with Paul and he's helped out alot. Robert is no different though. Both are nice people.

Hey, you could save the trouble and money and just pay me to take care of your place. I have a Scag with 60in deck. It will handle anything I throw at it. :D

Small world huh !! Yeah, the guys at Harrington and Sons are real nice. They earned my busuness today. I took the wife down so she could butt fit the Turf Tiger. She loved it. Beinf delivered as I type this.

I kind of like doing my own yard work..lol... Gives me a chance to chill out from the daily grind.

To me, there's nothing better than drinking a glass of ice tea on the front porch at the end of a long Saturday while looking at a well manicured lawn. Well, maybe there's something better, but you get my point...lol..

J.R.

ALC-GregH
09-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Yes it is a small world. Where abouts do you live? I probably rode right by your place and never knew it! I go to a friend's place (going there in a few) that lives off of Ridge rd. so I drive right past H&S all the time.

Intricate
09-18-2008, 06:47 PM
You're going to wish you had more lawn to mow. :)

Grats on the purchase.

JR LEWIS
09-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Yes it is a small world. Where abouts do you live? I probably rode right by your place and never knew it! I go to a friend's place (going there in a few) that lives off of Ridge rd. so I drive right past H&S all the time.

I live just outside Gettysburg. Off of Taneytown Rd, Rt.134. About 2 1/2 miles off Interstate 15. Ten minutes from H&S.

Mowed the lawn tonight. Wife did half and I did the other half. Took about an hour, with trimming.:cool2: 3 1/2 acres.

ALC-GregH
09-18-2008, 10:30 PM
No kidding, I know exactly where your talking about. I go by that way once in awhile.
I hope your marriage is strong, sounds like you'll be fighting alot about who gets to mow the grass. LOL

Enjoy your new mower. It will probably last you the rest of your life. :D

fernandezlawnservice
02-25-2009, 12:28 PM

Thank you in advance,

J.R.scag is top of the line for the money exmark is the way to go I have a 60,52,2(48)and a 36" only thing i done to them was oil change airfilters and spark plus and after 3 yrs of use no problems out of these machines and the are all paid for.:cool2:

ALC-GregH
02-25-2009, 12:48 PM
scag is top of the line for the money exmark is the way to go I have a 60,52,2(48)and a 36" only thing i done to them was oil change airfilters and spark plus and after 3 yrs of use no problems out of these machines and the are all paid for.:cool2:

Your a little late. He's had the Scag TT for 6 months. Your opinion sounds biased. ;)