PDA

View Full Version : What does Ferris have up their sleeve?

Ramairfreak98ss
09-17-2008, 04:03 PM
What would you guess?

www.mowingevolution.com

They already have a bada$$ suspension system, what could be so "innovative" that theyll display next month? Id REALLY like to see some "small" diesel alternatives in the 1500/2000/3100z models, stuff using the 3 cylinder Briggs vanguard dihatsu diesels in the 20-33hp ranges with and without turbos and some better water cooled options besides ONLY a 26hp kawasaki on some 61" DECK MODELS. And of course for gas engines, the goddam 30-35hp models especially, are we stuck in the 1980s, WTF are fuel injected engines? I know some Exmarks offer the 28 efi Kohler, but seriously, ALL these companies producing commercial grade air/liquid cooled engines should have some injectors built on by now :dancing::confused:

Honestly though, what could they have drastically changed? Deere already has mulch on demand decks that are beyond sweet, what next?

BrandonV
09-17-2008, 04:54 PM
maybe a stander or a robot

LwnmwrMan22
09-17-2008, 06:07 PM
maybe a stander or a robot

Probably a stander with suspension... 30 hp??

Ramairfreak98ss
09-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Probably a stander with suspension... 30 hp?? that would be cool, but we wouldnt need one

From Dust 'til Lawn
09-17-2008, 07:01 PM
i guess i'll have to hold my purchase off till the news breaks...I've been at the ferris dealer a few times the past few weeks...looking and waiting....

TomberLawn
09-17-2008, 07:01 PM
I've heard more than I can say here yet, but I'll just say that Hustler and Exmark had better watch out. Take that for what it's worth.

I would also like to see some small diesels. I mentioned to my dad today that they should put a 22-25hp Kubota on the 3100, maybe even the 2000, but since they are owned by Briggs and Stratton, a Daihatsu Vanguard does make more sense.

It's also high time that all the engine manufacturers and mower manufacturers put out more EFI, DFI (direct fuel injection), LSO (low speed operation), smaller diesels, and other fuel saving/alternative fuel technologies. I bet they'd sell like crazy. Imagine cutting fuel costs by 10-25%. You'd save hundreds of gallons, and dollars, a year.

From Dust 'til Lawn
09-17-2008, 07:04 PM
I've heard more than I can say here yet, but I'll just say that Hustler and Exmark had better watch out. Take that for what it's worth.

I would also like to see some small diesels. I mentioned to my dad today that they should put a 22-25hp Kubota on the 3100, maybe even the 2000, but since they are owned by Briggs and Stratton, a Daihatsu Vanguard does make more sense.

It's also high time that all the engine manufacturers and mower manufacturers put out more EFI, DFI (direct fuel injection), LSO (low speed operation), smaller diesels, and other fuel saving/alternative fuel technologies. I bet they'd sell like crazy. Imagine cutting fuel costs by 10-25%. You'd save hundreds of gallons, and dollars, a year.

having said that...should i wait?????????

mag360
09-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Briggs has a 34hp fuel injected motor available now right? Ferris will probably be one of the first to get this.

HighlandLC
09-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Signed up. Dont need the ZTR till spring, but doing my homework now.

nosparkplugs
09-17-2008, 10:36 PM

Their are already diesels out their just gotta have enough acreage to justify the cost, the weight issue is becoming a mute point. I am waiting till the spring for my ZTR diesel puchase it will not be a Ferris. I have it narrowed down to Bad Boy AOS 35hp cat, JD 997, or the Grasshopper 930D. The short list is BB AOS & JD 997, Grasshopper is way overpiced for thier 930D, Scag is still overpriced, and underpowered even with the new Cat diesel.

WREBELMACHINE
09-17-2008, 10:48 PM
The most impressive diesel mower I have demoed lately is the Dixie Chopper Excailbur! 35hp Yanmar with a 74" cutting deck!

ojpent
09-18-2008, 12:00 AM
I'm going to my dealer tomorrow to shake them down for info!!! All I hope its a better deck, I love my machines ride but the cut could be better..

Ramairfreak98ss
09-18-2008, 12:55 AM
I'm going to my dealer tomorrow to shake them down for info!!! All I hope its a better deck, I love my machines ride but the cut could be better..

Yeah if all they did was learn a few things from their superior "simplicity" decks, it would do worlds of wonders to be the leader in deck cut quality and ride. I wouldnt say the cut is terrible, but compete my 61" ferris at 10mph vs my diesel Legacy XL tractor with its 60" Simplicity deck and its night and day, the striping rollers help a little though and the counter rotating outer blade.

Ramairfreak98ss
09-18-2008, 01:10 AM
Id also be nice for them to offer the bigger gas hp models, like those water cooled 35hp Briggs in a EFI version too and some more speed to the large stuff. Dixie does 13mph, bad boy has a ton that do 15mph, gravelys got some 13mph stuff too, i know my 3100z does 12mph and feels darn fast, but honestly we dont do anything over 4 acres with it this year. If we WERE doing 10-50 acre areas ever, that speed would help in the end.

Id also like to see a larger deck option, something that isnt a WAM but say on their largest 5100z, offer a 76-82" deck option :) I know its a select market but theyd be competing with WAM and front mowers mainly.

We just bid a 100~ acre job for next season, and im only worrying how darn long its going to take 72s to do. We could manage it with what we have, but i'd look for another diesel 72" or larger zero turn to help. front mowers are too expensive, like the Deere 1535 series with a 72" deck, and theyre underpowered, i think their highest engine is a 36hp, and your spending 20k+ to get that high model, and your supposed to not mow in its transport speed, which i think is around 12mph.

big or small, id really look into smaller LC EFI gas engine models and larger models with the same gas engines, but larger and more diesel options. Briggs owns them, why not the 34hp turbo diesel Vangaurd, same as on my 27hp simplicity but with the turbocharger, little light engine would be great for most of their mid-large models.

ricky86
09-18-2008, 01:17 AM
The reason there aren't any more EFI's is $$$. The oem's say it's to keep cost down which really means keep profits up.The cost of that Kohler should be down dramatically from inception. It's a copy of the Bosch system from the mid 70's. Believe me on this. Your (the pro landscaper) operating expenses mean zero to them. I'm in a different area of this industry than most of you. What I see is pitiful.

LwnmwrMan22
09-18-2008, 02:09 AM
Id also be nice for them to offer the bigger gas hp models, like those water cooled 35hp Briggs in a EFI version too and some more speed to the large stuff. Dixie does 13mph, bad boy has a ton that do 15mph, gravelys got some 13mph stuff too, i know my 3100z does 12mph and feels darn fast, but honestly we dont do anything over 4 acres with it this year. If we WERE doing 10-50 acre areas ever, that speed would help in the end.

Id also like to see a larger deck option, something that isnt a WAM but say on their largest 5100z, offer a 76-82" deck option :) I know its a select market but theyd be competing with WAM and front mowers mainly.

We just bid a 100~ acre job for next season, and im only worrying how darn long its going to take 72s to do. We could manage it with what we have, but i'd look for another diesel 72" or larger zero turn to help. front mowers are too expensive, like the Deere 1535 series with a 72" deck, and theyre underpowered, i think their highest engine is a 36hp, and your spending 20k+ to get that high model, and your supposed to not mow in its transport speed, which i think is around 12mph.

big or small, id really look into smaller LC EFI gas engine models and larger models with the same gas engines, but larger and more diesel options. Briggs owns them, why not the 34hp turbo diesel Vangaurd, same as on my 27hp simplicity but with the turbocharger, little light engine would be great for most of their mid-large models.

Before you sink the money into a WAM, look into a 45 hp tractor with a 15' tri-deck mower on the back. You can use the tractor for winter work as well, where as the WAM will sit.

Not only that, but you're not paying labor for (3) guys running those 72s, just one guy for that 15'.

If you'd like to see what I'm talking about, I can post a pic.... or look back on some of my other threads, the pics are already on here somewhere.

TomberLawn
09-18-2008, 12:47 PM
WAMs are cool. My university has a couple of them, one Toro with a cab and the other a John Deere. True, a tractor and 15 ft mower is more versatile, but a WAM is more productive. I know a guy who bought a 4720 Deere and 15ft Frontier mower. It takes a football field to turn that rig around, whereas a WAM turns almost within it's own cutting width. I think it would be a lot harder to transport a tractor and folding mower than a WAM as well.