PDA

View Full Version : I went to order shirts cost me $130 for 12 shirts!!!!

T.Brandon
09-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Single color lettering what you think is that kinda high?

Grasshopper-ALC
09-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Figuring that the company paid around $2 a shirt plus 6 or $7 for printing, plus generation of design unless you all ready had something made up... that might be a little high but not real bad. My wife owns a store and those prices are fairly accurate. I would find the brand of shirt you want (Gildan, etc good brand) and the color and get your design together and search the net. I bought signs off of the internet for a lot cheaper. Local wanted anywhere from $5 to $17 a sign and i got the same thing for $3 a sign shipping included. 18 by 24 one color with H frame. So if you know exactly what you want then look around the net and compare. Might find a better deal, might not. Good luck!

ColePyck
09-17-2008, 06:52 PM
welcome to the real world, everyone else is trying to make a buck too! Its about the same for me here I think I paid like 250 for 12 shirts colared though still pullovers they do look nice!

AI Inc
09-17-2008, 06:56 PM
$11 a peice , not a bad price.

Even Cut Lawn Care
09-17-2008, 07:58 PM
For a one color print thats way too high! Check mine out...
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=246186

bigviclbi
09-17-2008, 08:11 PM
customink.com like $8 a shirt.

T.Brandon
09-17-2008, 08:24 PM
I like those shirts even cut! My shirts are gray and then the lettering is black the guy told me I had to get 3 dozen to get a 3 color shirt I think thats bull

mgugliotti
09-17-2008, 09:00 PM
You got a good job at a fair price... that is 2 buck cheaper than they are here in ct.... that is bout the going rate for a good shirt...
all the best.

T.Brandon
09-17-2008, 09:50 PM
The thing I dont understand is why cant I have multi color logo with a dozen shirts?

CustomKare
09-17-2008, 10:32 PM
Queensboro.com!!!!

pj550v12
09-17-2008, 10:55 PM
Queensboro.com!!!!

Couldn't agree more, just ordered more last night

chrisludwig
09-17-2008, 11:23 PM
I also have another business that does screen printing and embroidery of hats and shirts.
The price per piece goes down as the quantity goes up. 12 shirts is about the minimum you want to do. But if you know you will be using more shirts later in the year, it is better to get them all at once. Your per piece price will go down significantly.

Also, the number of colors in the imprint, how many locations and also the color of the shirt you are putting the logo on all have an effect on cost. You can save the "screen charges" if you go digital imprinting, which we also do, but this technology is still kind of new and there are some bugs with printing on dark colored shirts.

So $130 for 12 shirts may not be bad if you had printing on the front and the back and included the screen charges.

deere615
09-18-2008, 12:24 AM
I got 11 t shirts and a jersey-front and back with 3 different colors for a little over $200. Your price doesn't sound too bad

Kennedy Landscaping
09-18-2008, 12:42 AM
I paid about $10.00 a piece for mine

cbscreative
09-18-2008, 12:53 AM
I used to work in screen printing and signs, and the price is fair. Just like Chris said above, the price goes down with quantity. The upfront costs are the same whether you are printing one shirt or one million, so the cost per shirt goes down when you spread out the costs over a larger run.

One reason I don't work in production any more is because you have to focus on production and design is always too expensive (everyone thinks they're getting ripped off). If the production artist spends an hour on your shirt, it's too much time. The owner of the shop has to pay wages, so guess how much thought and effort goes into it. It's enough time for most shops just to clean up the junk clip art, or customer supplied art, just to make it work for production.

Oh, the good ol' days that I miss about as much as an infection. I don't envy anyone in that biz, but at least I can defend them enough to say they're not ripping you off.

T.Brandon
09-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I think next time when I go back ill be purchasing alot of things and this time put color into my logo!

FCPWLLC
09-18-2008, 12:01 PM
http://www.ndesigns.net/

$5 one color one spot 24 shirt minimum

CleanCutMowers
09-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Figuring that the company paid around $2 a shirt plus 6 or $7 for printing, plus generation of design unless you all ready had something made up... that might be a little high but not real bad. My wife owns a store and those prices are fairly accurate. I would find the brand of shirt you want (Gildan, etc good brand) and the color and get your design together and search the net. I bought signs off of the internet for a lot cheaper. Local wanted anywhere from $5 to $17 a sign and i got the same thing for $3 a sign shipping included. 18 by 24 one color with H frame. So if you know exactly what you want then look around the net and compare. Might find a better deal, might not. Good luck!

Sorry to hijack a thread but the guy can't pm. Where did you get these signs?

newz7151
09-18-2008, 05:46 PM
The thing I dont understand is why cant I have multi color logo with a dozen shirts?

Because if they are screen printed, they have to have a different screen for each section of color that you want, and it is not profitable enough to do 3 or 4 screens for only 12 shirts.

cbscreative
09-18-2008, 09:34 PM
There is certainly a lot of input into this thread about getting these cheaper, and having experience in the business, I can say there are cheaper methods so the cost concerns can be met, but I seriously doubt that is in your best interest. Let's look at this realisically. You are in lawn care and/or landscaping, right? That means you will be washing these shirts a lot. So you could save a couple bucks per shirt, but what about after 50 washings? A good quality shirt with the printing done correctly should look almost new after 50 washes. If you use cheap detergent, the shirt will fade, but the printing will stand up to the abuse if it is done to industry standard. However, the cheaper alternatives may not last through 20 washes.

So while you may save on shirt costs up front, they will be washed a lot (or stink and look terrible), so the real costs may end up being more with cheap alternatives. Transfers are very short lived, while screen printed inks printed properly will outlast the shirt. The best way to save momey is to order the highest quantity that is practical for your business, and deal with experienced screen printers. There are plenty of players willing to take your money when you are shopping for price, but that doesn't mean best value.

If you have high turnover, buy the cheapest you can get because employees will quit before wearing out the shirt, but if you are looking for the best deal, don't judge by price alone.

T.Brandon
09-18-2008, 10:08 PM
I agree with you 100% now I truely understand The shirts I have on order is Gildan. Do you think the shirts will attract new customers?

deere615
09-18-2008, 11:34 PM
I agree with you 100% now I truely understand The shirts I have on order is Gildan. Do you think the shirts will attract new customers?

Shirts will sometimes attract new clients but IMO company shirts help you look more professional

tradeyouraccounts
09-18-2008, 11:35 PM
Keep the polyester % low in your shirts if youíre working in high temps as im sure your aware youíll be sweating the higher the %

Your success

JimmyStew
09-19-2008, 08:17 AM
Isn't it ironic how people spend so much time on these forums talking about low-ballers and how customers don't want to pay a decent price for the services we offer, whether mowing or landscaping, and then they come on and complain about how expensive their materials are! Talk about a double standard.

cbscreative
09-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Like deere said, you probably won't get a lot of customers with the shirts directly, especially since the low quantity means you wouldn't want to spend a lot on design or printing, but looking more professional has payoffs.

To actually attract more business, think about your "advertisement" which is sitting there while you are on the job. Your vehicle graphics, and the signs on your trailer, these should look really professional. Don't make the mistake of a huge logo and tiny phone number, both should be easily read from hundreds of feet away. If you have a web site (a good one, not the sorry excuses I see so much of), the web address should be proudly displayed too.

Let me offer one more thing to consider. I already mentioned that I used to do signs. The sign biz is based on production, so design is lacking. If you find one of those "old school" sign shops owned by a skilled professional who has been doing this for decades, that would be an exception (and I recommend the few of these people who are left). However, for most sign shops, the design will be lame because that's not what they do, they replicate and produce, but they know little to nothing about design.

I want to be careful not to sound critical of this, because that's not my intent. It's the nature of the market now. They usually do a good job of producing signs, it's just not practical for them to hire skilled designers. The downside of this is that if you don't know exactly what you need, or don't come in with a design already produced, they can't help much. If you want your vehicle graphics and signs to stand out from the crowd, you need to have it done by a real graphic designer, but it's also important that the designer you choose understands signs. If not, you pay twice because the sign shop will have to "rework" the design to make it production ready.

The benefit of good design is that it pays for itself many times over where an average design just blends in and is less effective. Since most people choose the cheaper option, those who know better really stand out. Getting noticed is one thing that leads to producing sales, and you need every advantage you can get.

T.Brandon
09-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the information I understand.I was looking to get my trailer letterd professionaly, but they want interly to much for it I think a guy quoted me at 1,500 for a 7x14 enclosed trailer.I will prolly get another 3 dozen of shirts to pass out and get yard signs all set up for next lawn season! I've learned alot from you guys on here that helps and takes time to put in info!

Grasshopper-ALC
09-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Sorry to hijack a thread but the guy can't pm. Where did you get these signs?

sorry for the delay. I got the signs here http://www.decals-oem.com/yard_signs.html

I am happy with them. You give them an idea of what you want and they send it to you via email and you make changes or suggestions and send it back. You have to order 100 signs to get that deal.

cbscreative
09-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the information I understand.I was looking to get my trailer letterd professionaly, but they want interly to much for it I think a guy quoted me at 1,500 for a 7x14 enclosed trailer.I will prolly get another 3 dozen of shirts to pass out and get yard signs all set up for next lawn season! I've learned alot from you guys on here that helps and takes time to put in info!
Wow, 7x14 is a pretty nice sized billboard; too good not to take advantage of. I don't recommend a ho-hum design, but if you can have it done well, even if it costs over $2000, I'd recommend doing whatever you have to to make it happen (even if you need to take a 3rd shift temp job). The reason being, I would direct your attention to the benefits rather than the cost. Once you get over the pain of paying for it, you reap the rewards.

What is one customer worth over a lifetime, or even a year? Even if your trailer graphics resulted in only 2 customers per year (a ridiculously low number), the $2000 spent should return to you many times over. And I would expect that trailer to last you at least 5-7 years. Think of ROI, not cost. Thinking only of cost will lead to failure.

Many business owners make the mistake of thinking they will do it someday when they can afford it. That day never comes! If you don't take the action necessary to make it happen, you doom yourself to wondering why it doesn't happen. Advertising for success is not optional, and going out on job sites with a blank trailer (or one poorly done) is a sure formula for missed opportunities.

T.Brandon
09-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Aren't you a graphic maker?

cbscreative
09-22-2008, 11:24 PM
Brandon, I am a graphic designer, web designer, writer, and marketing guy, but I no longer do production work like signs and printing. I used to, so the experience helps me offer a competitive advantage, but I stick to doing design with a heavy emphasis on marketing, which is sadly missing from a lot of design.

dnltractor
09-23-2008, 12:02 AM
I just ordered 15 shirts for my company and I paid 10.00 a shirt for front pocket logo and back buisness script with logo and number , red t shirts w/ white lettering 162.00 w/ tax and all

T.Brandon
09-23-2008, 02:12 AM
That's pretty resonable. But should have been cheaper because the logo is all one color!

cbscreative
09-23-2008, 01:08 PM
Actually, that price is surprisingly reasonable. When you are getting dark colors with white or light print (especially red), the shirts are more expensive, and the printing requires a technique called "first down white" to be done correctly (this doesn't mean everyone does it correctly). This essentially triples or quadruples the labor cost. Normally, the shirt is printed, placed on a dryer to be heat cured, and it is done. For the red shirts to not look pink, they had to print the shirt, move it under a portable heat curing device and hold it there, then bring it back to print the image again before running it through the dryer to be fully heat cured.

When printing light colors on dark material, the white is printed the same way underneath so the light color looks good without the dyes from the shirt leaching through the ink, which they do on the first down white. This is why it must be cured and a second layer printed on top of the heat cured first layer of ink.

The moral of this story is make sure your printer is doing this and not just giving you the cheapest price. Also, if you have your artwork "professionally" done, the print shop will have to rework it (at an added cost) unless the graphic designer you hire knows screen printing.

Ramairfreak98ss
09-23-2008, 09:02 PM
welcome to the real world, everyone else is trying to make a buck too! Its about the same for me here I think I paid like 250 for 12 shirts colared though still pullovers they do look nice!

yeah man $130 for 12 isnt bad at all lol. We buy more per time, so theyre "less" each.

I know we got 48 in early April and i think it was like almost $600 after tax. I get orange/black letter and "lawn mower zero turn machine" graphic on the back, on hanes /white/grey shirts.

I dont think the shirts are $2.00 least ive never seen them nearly that cheap here in stores. Maybe if they buy 5000 a time, they can get them for $2-4 or so.

I supplied my own logo/graphic, design, they redid what they needed to obviously to get it on their apple mac computer and print it on the machine.

Expect to pay between $10-15 each for more simple tshirts, $20-30 for good sweatshirts

TXNSLighting
09-24-2008, 12:07 AM
Very good price on those shirts.

T.Brandon
09-24-2008, 12:27 AM
Let's seem some pics ramair! I should have mine in Thursday!

CustomKare
09-26-2008, 11:47 PM
Here's a couple package deals my printer worked me up.....

Qty 12 T-Shirts - Heather Grey with a single color, single location imprint.

Qty 4 Hats - Decent quality with Business Name embroidered on front

Qty 2 Polo Shirt - Decent quality with Business Name embroidered on front left chest. ($187.32 total)

Same deal with 24 t-shirts = $259.69 complete.

Same deal with 36 Shirt total = $322.04 complete.

www.americanscreenprint.com

Check them out....They are awsome! Ask for Mike he may even get you a better deal!

T.Brandon
09-27-2008, 02:21 AM
Got my shirts! pretty impressed :cool2:

CustomKare
09-27-2008, 08:25 AM
Brandon....where did you get yours? Pics?

Shuter
09-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Price is about what I pay.

T.Brandon
09-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Premier embroidery its in Marrero,La

T.Brandon
09-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Here are the shirts total cost was $130.50

deere615
09-27-2008, 10:09 PM
Those shirts turned out real nice

T.Brandon
09-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks! It was alot more than I had expected

gettingstartedtampa
09-28-2008, 07:56 PM
I have never found shirts cheaper or quicker than 5buckshirts.com. They will work with you on second and third colors even. I got banged plenty of times with screen charges, artwork charges etc...from other discount printers. These guys are the real deal. give em a try.

TXNSLighting
09-29-2008, 06:38 PM
We're probably about to open a tshirt print shop. So when we do ill let you all know and i can be your supplier. Lawnsite discounts of course!

T.Brandon
09-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Lmk that would be nice! is that all you will spealize in or other graphic things

TXNSLighting
09-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Right now just shirts. Well see where it goes from there. I think we're going to make a killing off this. Theres one company in my town who does this and theyre a wee bit high.

Ill post a new thread in this and other threads. Ill pm ya if it happens.

T.Brandon
09-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Ight man sounds good!

Dunlaps LawnCare
10-27-2008, 07:36 PM
do you guys give shirts out to you family,friends or just your workers?

Even Cut Lawn Care
10-27-2008, 09:10 PM
whoever will wear one!! its advertising wherever they go but just remeber that could be a bad thing too....

TXNSLighting
10-27-2008, 11:42 PM
do you guys give shirts out to you family,friends or just your workers?

Family yes, no friends...My friends are to crazy...altho one of my friends has my company sticker on his bumper.