PDA

View Full Version : Jacobson versus Ryan

dbsoccer
09-17-2008, 05:57 PM
I need a history lesson. I see older aerators sold as Ryan and their newer models sold by Jacobson but maybe still refered to as Ryan or still have the same model number. But Ryan still has Ryan aerators.

Can someone explain to me what happened? It appears maybe Ryan sold part of their product line to Jacobson and Jacobson elected to continue to call it by the same name.

turfcobob
09-18-2008, 03:20 PM
Ransomes from England bought Cushman / Ryan in 1989. They started making changes quickly and in a few years trashed the company. They ended up selling the whole Kit and kaboodle to Jacobsen / Textron for litterally pennies on the dollar that they paid in 1989. Ransomes really loused up a good American Company.
When Textron / Jacobsen got the Ryan and Cushman lines they knew the value of the cushman and Ryan names so they started robbing from both lines and putting the Jacobsen Name and ugly orange paint on them. At one time you had both product groups in both colors. This is a quick way to kill a product line. Give it to competing dealers so they both loose interest in selling them Believe me Jacobsen / Textron is not Proctor and Gamble who do just that successfully. When Jacobsen go tired of trying to kill the Cushman and Ryan names the sold off the Ryan to Little Wonder ( anyway the holding company that owns Little Wonder. Now in the mean time the Bob Cat group in Wisconsin had redesigned the Ryan aerators so they could make them cheaper and they succeeded if doing just that. Made them cheaper and easier to break. Ask anyone who has a Ryan that is just a few years old how many times they have had to weld on the units. If you want more just ask I have the Ryan and Cushman history back to Ryan, 1947 and Cushman to 1901.

dbsoccer
09-18-2008, 03:29 PM
But it appears some of the old Ryan products are still being manufactured by Jacobson. I seeing the commercial larger area aerators are orange. But the residential aerators are still green. So it appears maybe Jacobson sold part of the product line to Little Wonder and kept some of it.

turfcobob
09-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Yup they split up the line and name. They sold off the lawn products and kept the golf products. Too bad all the way around Cushman and Ryan were great old names in the business. But, alas those days are gone.