PDA

View Full Version : Books

wallzwallz
09-17-2008, 07:24 PM
I have been purchasing some books for the upcoming winter. I was wondering if any of you have read any books you consider must reads. I would like to increase my knowledge across the board, soil science, veggie growing, hands on organics, native planting etc.. I can't recommend any right now as I haven't read any yet. lol

ICT Bill
09-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Our marketing guy Shep Ogden has written 6 books on organics, I am not sure what is in print right now, you can probably get them used if they are out of print.

I just finished reading "1491" by Charles Mann, we sponsored him at the ELA show spring 2008, it drags some as I am not a huge history buff but the fundamentals are excellent especially the last 1/4 of the book, I couldn't put it down. What was North, Central and South America like before europeans came

You probably have already read "teaming with microbes" by Jeff lowenfels

I am going to read "Roanoke Island, the lost colony" next, we just vacationed near there in Hatteras, I thought it might be interesting

wallzwallz
09-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks Bill, Shep has quite a resume, yes his books are out of print. Teaming w/ microbes is one I bought, but haven't read yet.

ICT Bill
09-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Yeah he is actually one of the founders of organic seeds, he started his company in 1983, we are very proud to have him on board

He is a "tell it like it is" kind of guy

Here is his short bio on our business plan
Shep Ogden, Marketing
Organic gardening pioneer Mr. Ogden founded The Cooks Garden, one of the nation's premier seed and supply companies, in 1983. He has been an author, lecturer, consultant and organic market gardener for 30 years, author of 6 books on organics and featured often on Martha Stewarts Living TV show, The Today Show and many magazines

He was actually on the front page of INC magazine with the title "Guerrilla Marketing"

Very interesting guy, He can actually talk your arm off, I am typing with stumps right now

wallzwallz
09-18-2008, 05:33 PM
LOL, Does he cook? Nobody else has any book suggestions?

phasthound
09-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Dale Carnegie, How to Win Friends and Influence People
Paul Sachs, Handbook of Successful Ecological Lawncare
Sir Albert Howard, An Agricultural Testament
John Spence, Excellence by Design
Martin Alexander, Intro to Soil Microbiology
Sharon Lilly, ISA Arboriists' Certification Study Guide

So many books, so little time.:cry:

JDUtah
09-18-2008, 08:30 PM

Just read that one. It was sorely needed. Now to buy it on CD and listen a few more times.

"Good to great" and THEN "Built to Last" by Jim Collins
"E-Myth revisited" by Michael Gerber
"Little Red Book of Selling" Jeffrey Gitomer
And of course that plant physiology textbook Kiril lead me to..
http://www.sinauer.com/detail.php?id=8567

I have a few microbe/organic ones that are going to be digested, but can't suggest them yet.

phasthound
09-18-2008, 08:55 PM
[QUOTE=JDUtah;2519970]Just read that one. It was sorely needed. Now to buy it on CD and listen a few more times. QUOTE]

Take the course.

DeepGreenLawn
09-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Just read that one. It was sorely needed. Now to buy it on CD and listen a few more times.

LOL! Sorry... but that made me laugh... I am glad to hear that people can actually figure out when a change needs to be made...

I hope this didn't come off wrong... any books on how to say what you mean to say without saying the opposite? Things always seem to come out wrong with me...

DeepGreenLawn
09-18-2008, 09:07 PM
I picked up a few organic gardening books when I first got started but it was hard to transform the information into lawn care practices or they were very elementary and didn't really go very far with things. They all seemed to be more focused towards homeowners wanting to do a small organic garden of their own, not someone trying to figure out the science and apply it on a grander scale...

JDUtah
09-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Take the course.

Ohhh, didn't know there was. :)

LOL! Sorry... but that made me laugh... I am glad to hear that people can actually figure out when a change needs to be made...

I hope this didn't come off wrong... any books on how to say what you mean to say without saying the opposite? Things always seem to come out wrong with me...

Lol, that came across correctly. :dancing:

treegal1
09-18-2008, 09:27 PM
I am not mean, your just a sissy.LOLOL

JK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYHkyo9qKiY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPO9H3lbv-A

DeepGreenLawn
09-18-2008, 09:32 PM
The fact that someone can find something about themselves that needs to be worked on, no matter what it is, is very admirable and tells me one of two things.

1. You are growing and becoming more mature/wise. A process that never stops...

2. You have a good friend, whether you see them as one or not, that is willing to tell you how it is...

And then #2 leads back to #1 as you were willing to listen to this friend...

I use to think I new it all, I was a 6,20 at the FD, been on the job for 6 months and thought saw myself as being there 20 years. I had a guy tell me once that if you hadn't been doing the job for more than 5 years you don't have a clue as to what your doing... at about 4 years I realized I didn't have a clue as to what I was doing... I then went and apologized to all my previous sargents and captains for being such a fool...

DeepGreenLawn
09-18-2008, 09:39 PM
I like the tale end of the last one...

How many times have you been speaking with a customer, they ask one of those questions and you are just dumbfounded...

I had a guy ask me something... can't remember what it was off the top of my head, but I froze... I had to kick myself to respond fast enough to not let him feel stupid... one of those times where if it were anyone other than a customer you would have just stood there staring in disbelief that they would have asked such a stupid question...

Kind of felt bad for the guy...

treegal1
09-18-2008, 09:52 PM
an extension agent said something to phill once, Iwas shocked to death at his response" are you f***ing drunk?" he ask so matter of fact.lolol it was ph or some thing to do with cutting a tree, I was so thankful that the guy was a good sport..............

treegal1
09-18-2008, 10:22 PM
ok so back to the topic, BOOKS,

of course exotica, tropica, and this one is my new favorite

http://ifasbooks.ufl.edu/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IFASBOOKS&Product_Code=SP+360&Category_Code=LLBK

Prolawnservice
09-19-2008, 08:18 PM
here's a few of my favorites

hands on agronomy
weeds of the northeast
ortho problem solver
guerrilla marketing
nofa organic lawn and turf handbook
carrots love tomatoes
square foot gardening

phasthound
09-20-2008, 05:20 PM
[QUOTE=treegal1;2520080]I am not mean, your just a sissy.]

I remember Don Rickles claiming the honor of being the only person to have been punched in the mouth by Dale Carnegie. :):)

wallzwallz
09-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Thanks everyone.

TG: we are definetly in 2 very different zones, Palm trees is that where coconuts come from?

Phast: I have a Paul Sachs book on Sports turf, haven't got to reading it yet. Was thinking of doing my little league field next to my house w/ donated organic care.

Prolawn: I have weeds of the Northeast, the NOFA lawn and turf,and carrots love tomatoes. Does the Ortho problem solver have organic recommendations? I've used that book at an Agway supply store, it was great for identifying but thought most of the cures were Ortho products? This was 15+ years ago, so details aren't real clear.

Prolawnservice
09-21-2008, 08:41 AM
No organic, sometimes cultural, but its great to ID with.