PDA

View Full Version : Split Wood sales

CAT powered
09-17-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm looking into starting to sell a bit of wood by the chord. I've got a nice saw, a GMC 3500 mason dump, and I'm going to be buying a splitter.

How does everyone measure off a chord or 1/2 chord of wood and then deliver it and still be able to prove to the customer the amount is correct?

DeepGreenLawn
09-17-2008, 08:55 PM
I am sure that if the customer has been ordering wood for a while they will be able to tell whether it is a cord or not...

CAT powered
09-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Well let me share with you my thoughts. I was thinking I'd weld up some jigs for 1/2 cords (2x2x4) and get some real heavy duty 5/8" Grade 100 chain and rig that from the 4 top corners of the jigs to a towing style J hook to go through the chain eyelet on the back of my excavator bucket. (Deere 490E) Then I could lift those into the truck and chain them down to D rings I would weld in the dump bed.

DeepGreenLawn
09-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Nice... then unload by hand? I like the idea... I plan on having firewood next year and then trees the year after that... or maybe both of those at the same time next year... I am not sure...

CAT powered
09-17-2008, 10:38 PM
I was thinking just have the jig chained down in the truck bed and then charge the client X if they want the wood neatly stacked somewhere and have the flat rate just include dumping the bed onto their driveway or wherever they want it dumped out. That was my thinking.

DeepGreenLawn
09-18-2008, 08:13 AM
that would work too...

CNYScapes
10-07-2008, 10:17 PM
I just started 6 weeks ago and have about 80 cord split and stacked already for next season. I am already thinking about a wood processor to speed up production.

ken gustafson
10-07-2008, 10:41 PM
I have done firewood now for a long time. I am tired of firewood. What I have done is...stack a load of firewood into a stack that is 4x4x8 feet. A cord is 128 cu. ft. Then I throw the firewood into one of my trailers...6x12x2ft.high and then I note how the wood looks in the trailer. After all of that..1 time making sure of the amount of wood in the trailer.....I fill the trailer with a little extra each time and I do no more stacking... EVER. Until this year I have done an average of 150 cords per year for 26 years....in over 3000 cords I have had 3 complaints....no matter what the complaint is I give them what they say they were shorted...then forget ever doing business with them ever again. Because I know...am positive there is no shortage coming from me. Maybe a person living close by borrowed the wood or whatever but no shortage..ever. Ken

ken gustafson
10-08-2008, 12:22 AM
I do what I do for a very good reason...every step costs money. Every single time you pick up a stick of wood costs money. I would rather give a couple of wheel barrow loads of wood in each load...than stack the wood. In the past I had a dump truck...I would stack 2 cords in the dump truck...then deliver and dump...100's of cords...not worth the time. Give the customer more than he pays for ...he's happy and I do not have to stack the wood..ever at any point.
Cut the tree down..drag to a flat spot...cut all branches off ...cut the wood to desired length and then split...handled the wood twice..once into the splitter and once out to the pile........the following year I load the wood into the trailer and dump when I deliver. Three times handling the wood is enough for me.... I boil if I have to handle wood any more than that..... I have boiled a few times but not very often. Every time you handle the wood it costs MONEY and it is hard....big time hard to make money at firewood..... Ken