PDA

View Full Version : Wall around tree

grasscutter845
09-17-2008, 09:08 PM
I have a customer who wants a retaining wall around this oak tree in the front yard. The roots are all over the place. My question is how would you go about digging down for your base with all the roots? I planned on going out 5 1/2 feet from the center of the tree.

forestfireguy
09-18-2008, 10:51 AM
This sounds like a no go job to me. If you cut the roots you'll probably kill the tree(I'm no expert just seems likely)....even if you figure out a way to level the base course the continued growth of the tree will play havoc on your wall anyway......

600rrpilot
09-18-2008, 11:14 AM
I would walk away unless your client agrees (in writing) with your job plan. And they fully understand that growth of the tree may (likely) will cause failure of the wall in the future.

zedosix
09-18-2008, 05:38 PM
Ditto, stay away from this job. Be professional and refuse it. Trees grow, roots spread, nice even wall becomes uneven eyesore. Not good for any trees to have their root system buried, but likely this large tree would not be affected by that but it will move. Go with a nice natural stone border, nothing formal.

PlatinumLandCon
09-19-2008, 12:11 AM
Go with a nice natural stone border, nothing formal.

Maybe boulders? :drinkup: