PDA

View Full Version : Question about rye grass

Lamonicaslawnservice
09-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Hey guys. Im in myrtle beach south carolina so I got atleast another month and a half of mowing before I stop for the winter. Some residential customers want me to cut all year long but I never did rye grass before so I have some questions. When should I put it down? Will it work with st augustine? Is lesco's rye seed good or someone else's? Is a drop spreader or broadcast spreader better for this? Does it grow as fast as regular grass? thanks guys

Lamonicaslawnservice
09-17-2008, 10:20 PM
This might be a dumb question to all of you but i really dont know because I havent done this before so I really need help. Any help would be great.

billslawn89
09-17-2008, 11:34 PM
rye grass should germinate within 7 days if watered in, but will only grow during the winter months here in the south. once the temperature gets up in the 90's it will die out. rye grass is used for over seeding in the winter months.

moremowing4me
09-18-2008, 03:41 AM
Now
yes
yes
broadcast
Now and in the spring it will grow extremely fast, but in ther true winter months it will not grow as fast as the st. augustine

Lamonicaslawnservice
09-18-2008, 08:22 AM
so I have to put it down now? what if we get a day over 90 again. will it kill it?

ed2hess
09-18-2008, 07:49 PM
In our area you have to strip that St Augustine down almost to the soil before you plant it if you want a perfect lawn. And obviously you have to water the heck out of it and if no sprinklers then it will die at 90F. It will need daily watering after you get it up. And the type of spreader doesn't matter just get it thick. WAter for 9 days straight three day a day.

jsw2008
09-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Don't sweat it. Ryegrass is the easiest thing to grow in the world. Just put it out heavy and water. I'm in the upper part of SC and around here some people scalp the grass and aerate before seeding and some don't and to tell you the truth, you can't tell the difference as soon as the seeds sprout. To keep it looking good all winter you can fertilize every 5-6 weeks, but make sure you stop the fert around early March so the St Aug can start to take over again.

Lamonicaslawnservice
09-18-2008, 10:23 PM
The st augustine will take it over right? no surprises next season and i have to replace the whole lawn right? haha. im just making sure. Centipied shouldnt be a problem at all right? thanks

QLC-Texas
09-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Rye grass will grow easily anywhere. I once had about 3 sq ft. growing in the bed of my truck one winter after some seeds had spilled out of a torn bag.

Lamonicaslawnservice
09-19-2008, 05:30 PM
when can I put it down? right now its 80 degrees in the afternoon and 62 degrees at night. I don't know if its going to get warmer again at night or in the day but when is a good time to start it?

Richard Martin
09-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Centipied shouldnt be a problem at all right? thanks

The experts do not recommend using annual rye on Centipede. I tried it the first year I lived here in NC and had very good results. The only problem is Centipede is slow to green up in the Spring and annual rye dies off before the Centipede comes in real good. I ended up with a very dead looking lawn for about 6 weeks.

DaughtryLC
09-19-2008, 06:29 PM
when can I put it down? right now its 80 degrees in the afternoon and 62 degrees at night. I don't know if its going to get warmer again at night or in the day but when is a good time to start it?

Put it down now, and cover the area GOOD!. be careful around beds! that stuff will grow everywhere it lands!

Lamonicaslawnservice
09-19-2008, 06:42 PM
haha sounds good. I will be careful. that one response about the pros say not too on centipied kind of worries me

DaughtryLC
09-19-2008, 06:47 PM
haha sounds good. I will be careful. that one response about the pros say not too on centipied kind of worries me

Centipied does not like fert. in the later part of the season. So im guessing thats why! and winter rye looks best when fertilized. I dont put any on centipied but its just because no one i have with it calls for winter rye.

ed2hess
09-19-2008, 08:50 PM
The experts do not recommend using annual rye on Centipede. I tried it the first year I lived here in NC and had very good results. The only problem is Centipede is slow to green up in the Spring and annual rye dies off before the Centipede comes in real good. I ended up with a very dead looking lawn for about 6 weeks.

So if you hadn't put the rye in it would have been brown anyway right? So do you guys use perennial? Annual grow too fast and is a light green.

jsw2008
09-19-2008, 10:48 PM
You can do it now. I saw a few guys here seeding today and our weather is the same as yours. The weather is perfect. Good luck with it.

Lamonicaslawnservice
09-20-2008, 01:27 AM
thanks for your help guys :) is it still weekly cutting or more or less?

Richard Martin
09-20-2008, 03:57 AM
So if you hadn't put the rye in it would have been brown anyway right? So do you guys use perennial? Annual grow too fast and is a light green.

Hmm... I see what you're saying and it's a good idea. We should just use the more attractive and slower growing Perenial Rye instead of the Annual since they're both going to die in the Spring anyway? I know Perenial is supposed to be year 'round but this NC sun is going to burn it to a crisp.

corey4671
10-17-2008, 01:03 PM
thanks for your help guys :) is it still weekly cutting or more or less?

that's a good question....you guys in the south that overseed with ryegrass, how often are you mowing it in the winter months? I have a couple of customers that want me to overseed with ryegrass. I'm looking to core aerate it and braodcast. These are larger properties...acre or more...are you seeding at 5lbs/1k?

jsw2008
10-17-2008, 01:50 PM
I mow rye every 7-10 days. As far as seeding rates, you would be better off using 10lbs/1k with either annual or perennial rye. At 5lbs it looks thin.

NC Greenscaper
10-17-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm in coastal NC, north of you. I put annual rye in at 6k per 1k sq ft for the reason listed above. I've tried it at less volumns and it looked fine in some lawns and too thin in others. Had to add more later which added to my cost. Seed is cheaper than time. Also the problem that I experienced with overseeding rye in centipede was there was a period of about 3-4 weeks in the spring when the temperature rose the rye turned brown and the centipede was greening up. Because of the strands of brown rye, it made the centipede appear brown. While the other centipede lawns in the area were starting to look good and green, this looked brown. It just took a while to work the rye out. This was a non irrigated lawn, also. I don't have this happen in centipede lawns with irrigation.

Lawn-Sharks
10-17-2008, 06:04 PM
As a joke i would toss about a 1/2 pound of rye grass seed into my buddys yard around mid Nov and he would get so mad :angry: because he would have to mow patches of his lawn during the winter months when the rest of the lawn was dorment! :laugh: He never knew it was me! :laugh:

timber132007
10-17-2008, 09:54 PM
I've used both annual and perennial in coastal South Carolina and I can tell you that annual requires weekly mowing. If you heavily fertilize annual ryegrass you may end up mowing more than once a week. Perennial equates to less maintenance. Annual seed is a good bit cheaper than perennial but requires more mowing and doesn't look as nice but it is green rather than dormant brown.

jsw2008
10-17-2008, 10:40 PM
From my supplier, annual is $31/50 lbs and perennial is $66/ 50lbs. Perennial is worth it due to darker green color and better texture IMO.

corey4671
10-18-2008, 12:50 AM
From my supplier, annual is $31/50 lbs and perennial is $66/ 50lbs. Perennial is worth it due to darker green color and better texture IMO.

that was about what I was quoted yesterday. Price I got was $1.11/lb when buying 200lbs or more...but dang it!!! Now I read some of you guys seeding at 6 and even TEN lbs per 1k!! I just quoted a 110K sqft job today based on 5lbs/1k using perennial.....I am also looking to seed this so that it is green but I so I get to mow some through the winter. I guess I could sell him on some fert as well :D

corey4671
10-29-2008, 08:06 PM
bump ^^^^^^^^

Lamonicaslawnservice
10-29-2008, 10:23 PM
I aerated a week ago but the temp dropped alot here so I got nervous to seed cause we were supposed to get a frost. Its warming up alittle. Is it to lateto put down rye?

jsw2008
10-29-2008, 10:49 PM
I've seeded on Halloween before and the seed germinated fine, but it wasn't quite as cool as this year. I think you'll still be ok, but don't wait much longer.

corey4671
10-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Just FWIW...I've asked around at the Co-op and some of the old timers around here and most seem to agree that as long as we are not in a deep freeze which we rarely see in the deep south, you can pretty sow ryegrass any time and get it to germinate...notice...I did not say that...just the info ive been getting...

Lamonicaslawnservice
10-29-2008, 11:40 PM
thanks guys. im going to get it down within the next few days. The lawns arent dormant yet

corey4671
10-30-2008, 12:01 AM
I know my dad used to throw ryegrass on our yard in the late fall. He would drill it into hayfields and whatever he had left over he'd throw it out on the yard. No pattern...he jsut pour it in a bucket and walk the yard throwing handfuls here and there. I'd have to mow that crap in January and February....

Paradise Yard Service
10-30-2008, 03:07 AM
Post pics.....we like pics. Before and after.

Aloha

1999frontier
10-30-2008, 09:18 AM
What kind of fertilizer should I put down on annual rye grass? How much? I'm in eastern NC.

Richard Martin
10-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Any starter fert will do. I used Vigoro 20-27-5 at 3.7 pounds per 1,000 sq ft. Earthway 2150 spreader set at 13.

1999frontier
10-30-2008, 10:50 AM
How often should you put fert on rye during the winter and I assume stop around March?

Richard Martin
10-30-2008, 04:48 PM
I hit mine just once. You'll be cutting it all winter with just a single application. It will start to die off around May.

jsw2008
10-30-2008, 05:13 PM
I don't even fertilize mine. It think it grows just fine without it. If it gets enough water, you'll be mowing every week.