PDA

View Full Version : Dogwood to close to pond?

Billpa
09-18-2008, 12:11 AM
Iím doing a small pond (9x14) near a relatively young Kousa Dogwood, about 10' tall with a 7' spread, the homeowner would like to keep the tree but is open to the idea of losing it should it be deemed necessary. My question is as the tree matures and the root system spreads will it cause issues with the liner or will it turn and avoid it? Iíve been told it should be ok by someone who works at the local nursery, although she said since she doesnít have experience with water features she couldnít be certain about that.. What do you guys think? As of now the pond would be about 4' from the trunk ( less than a foot from the current roots) but as it matures the branches would grow out over the water and the roots will try to follow, to be safe should the tree be removed or will a Kousa root system pose no threat?

tadpole
09-18-2008, 11:16 AM
I would think that, if you used the proper geotextile underlayment, you would have no problem. I am no tree expert, but i believe that Kousas are slow growing, which is an advantage in this case. In my 10+ years of pond construction, I have never had a case where the liner integrity was compromised by tree roots. The liner may develop a slight inward bulge over time due to growth of the root after it has turned, but is usually hardly noticeable. The only plant that I have found that will puncture liner, even with underlayment, is Nandina domestica.

Chestnut Oaks Prez
09-18-2008, 09:12 PM
We were told not to use a Weeping Willow tree near our pond. Said it was one of a few that you would have problems with.

tadpole
09-19-2008, 10:05 AM
We have a Weeping Willow, that is now about 20' tall, growing within 10' of our display pond. No problem with liner integrity. The tree, however does send roots over the liner's edge into the pond and stream, but then, many other plants will do the same. We must remove the invading roots from the stream about every 2 months. To us, it is worth the effort in order to attain that 'Natural" look.

mdvaden
09-26-2008, 04:32 AM
You can probably take the liner to about within 3 to 4 feet of that tree if it's like 7' wide now. As long as the water won't spill over the edge into it's root zone.

Note topic I just posted in the landscaping section about the water feature and maple.

Billpa
09-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks everyone, i feel a little better about leaving the tree in place now.

I'll give the post about the maple and water feature a read as well.

thanks

Billpa
09-28-2008, 12:01 PM
mdvaden,

i just checked out your thread, i see what your saying, not only does it seem like a poor choice to be that close, it looks unnatural as well.. i'll probably be about four foot from the dogwood trunk and definitely make sure there's no water spilling over.. on a side not i just received a visitor/ relocation guide to Hood river, looks incredible out there!