PDA

View Full Version : 100% American made equipment?

Green Pastures
09-18-2008, 07:53 AM
In light of recent ecinomic disasters...

In light of us being in debt to China for billions of dollars....

I'd like to put my money where my mouth is and buy ONLY 100% American made equipment for my busisness.

I'm using Exmark, Toro and Walker mowers so good there.

However most of my hand tools are Stihl products, assembled and partly manufactured close to me in Virginia Beach Virginia. I believe that they are a German company though. Let's not get into a discussion on that though I could be wrong about German made.

I want to know if there are stick edgers, line trimmers, blowers, stick hedge trimmers etc. that are 100% made in America.

What brands are available?

I'm in Hampton Virginia.

JimQ
09-18-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm using Exmark, Toro and Walker mowers so good there.

I agree with what you're saying and think what you're trying to do is the right thing, however, what is your definition of 100% American made? Assembled in America? Profit stays in America?

eXmark, Toro, Walker - There a many parts sourced from China, India, and other Low Cost Countries (LCCs) in there.

It's going to be tough to find anything these days that's 100% American made.

TheLawnBarber
09-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Think about Toro and Exmark. 75% of their engine options are Kawasaki's made in Japan. Walk-behinds are now 100% Kawasaki.

larryinalabama
09-18-2008, 09:26 AM
100% Made in USA impossible

mississippiturf
09-18-2008, 09:38 AM
I agree with JimQ. Its easy to sit back and blame WalMart, NAFTA, Congress, etc. on the downfall of this country but we, as the buyers, have become so conditioned to "find a bargin" that we are the ones to blame. We have become a nation not willing to pay fifty bucks for a "made in America" dress shirt as long as we can get one "made in Indonesia" for twenty. Its dosen't stop with clothes, its everything we buy from clothes, to groceries, and automobiles.

While it honorable to take the "buy only America" stance, its like closing the gate after the cows are out! We are a nation that has become too dependant on foreign labor and foreign investors to make any difference. We have shot ourselves in the foot and have waited to late to seek treatment for the wound.

TomberLawn
09-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Even John Deere fuel filters are made in Israel. I agree, it is probably impossible to find any equipment that is 100% American engineered, manufactured, assembled, and owned. I've heard there are more Toyotas made in America than GMs. So if you buy a Toyota, you're supporting American jobs and Japanese owners, but there are probably a lot of Americans who own stock in Toyota. If you buy a GM, you are supporting Mexican jobs and American owners, but there are probably a lot of foreign investors who own GM stock. Only a family owned type of business could be 100% American, but even then, it would be very hard to either make every component in house or find a 100% American supplier.

I like American made products, but it's just not feasible to buy 100% American made goods. As labor-saving technology improves, you might see more American made stuff, but even then, it takes human labor to operate machines and computers, so that could be outsourced as well.

Green Pastures
09-18-2008, 09:00 PM
100% Made in USA impossible

WRONG.

There are government contracts which specify only 100% American made products.

Somebody makes something somewhere.

Green Pastures
09-18-2008, 09:05 PM
OK....

Lots of good posts here.

Maybe I was a bit overzealous.

I'm looking for products that are 100% American made.

But if something was 95% made in America I'd like to hear about it.

I can tell you I do not want to buy something with a brand name like Kawasaki or Toyota though.

Who owns Echo? Isn't Echo an American owned company?

mississippiturf
09-18-2008, 09:11 PM
OK....

Who owns Echo? Isn't Echo an American owned company?

Here's a link to the Echo company profile. Engines, it looks like, are imported!!

http://www.echo-usa.com/CompInfo.asp?Page=Bio

capetan
09-18-2008, 09:12 PM
haaahahah....... its assembled here and thats were it stops......

capetan
09-18-2008, 09:19 PM
green pastures : yeah government products are 100% USA MADE , but the government has an unlimited budget, and i dont ......... and the government gets all its money/financing from china ( and other countries) ......

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-18-2008, 09:20 PM
I agree with JimQ. Its easy to sit back and blame WalMart, NAFTA, Congress, etc. on the downfall of this country but we, as the buyers, have become so conditioned to "find a bargin" that we are the ones to blame. We have become a nation not willing to pay fifty bucks for a "made in America" dress shirt as long as we can get one "made in Indonesia" for twenty. Its dosen't stop with clothes, its everything we buy from clothes, to groceries, and automobiles.

While it honorable to take the "buy only America" stance, its like closing the gate after the cows are out! We are a nation that has become too dependant on foreign labor and foreign investors to make any difference. We have shot ourselves in the foot and have waited to late to seek treatment for the wound.

This post is right on.
Too much ME, ME, ME attitude here in the US now. 'Gimme what I want, when I want it, and give it to me cheap.' Like its a God given right.
We need people in this country to get away from being TV zombies, and get back to thinking about what they are doing again. Will you add value to yourself and those around you, or will you simply consume air and get fat?

Ric3077
09-18-2008, 09:29 PM
This is a global economy...buy what you want and don't worry about where it is made...most stuff made over seas is better anyway. Buy what works for you not matter if it is US made or not. Next time you go to buy a dvd player what are you going to do?

traman
09-18-2008, 09:49 PM
American made !!!! dude the TV you watch,the cell phone you talk in,that computer you spend hours on . none of it is American .hell if your great-great-greatgrandparents aren't native Americans your not even American made.....

Green Pastures
09-18-2008, 09:51 PM
green pastures : yeah government products are 100% USA MADE , but the government has an unlimited budget, and i dont ......... and the government gets all its money/financing from china ( and other countries) ......

So what lawn equipment is the Government buying? :usflag:

Green Pastures
09-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Some of the post's in this thread are based in the attitude that got us where we are today.

BILLIONS, quite close to TRILLIONS of AMERICAN dollars in debt to foreign governments.

No matter which way you look at that fact it is not good for Americans.

I'll continue to try and buy American made products thank you very much. No matter how hard it get's.

Ric3077
09-18-2008, 09:58 PM
Some of the post's in this thread are based in the attitude that got us where we are today.

BILLIONS, quite close to TRILLIONS of AMERICAN dollars in debt to foreign governments.

No matter which way you look at that fact it is not good for Americans.

I'll continue to try and buy American made products thank you very much. No matter how hard it get's.

Good luck buying a TV, a pen, a childs toy, a good car, etc etc...

z71tiger
09-18-2008, 10:01 PM
where are generac engine's made?

TheLawnBarber
09-18-2008, 10:03 PM
At least lumber is American made!::laugh:

traman
09-18-2008, 10:08 PM
and tooth picks :laugh:

mississippiturf
09-18-2008, 10:15 PM
I hate to break the bad news, but a considerable amount of lumber used in the American market (particularly hard wood) is imported from Central America, Brazil, and other places.:o

TomberLawn
09-18-2008, 10:34 PM
I hate to break the bad news, but a considerable amount of lumber used in the American market (particularly hard wood) is imported from Central America, Brazil, and other places.:o

and Canada, eh?

Ric3077
09-18-2008, 10:34 PM
I wonder if American flags are made in America

TomberLawn
09-18-2008, 10:39 PM
I think Briggs and Stratton engines are made in America, but I'm not sure about the Vanguards, since they are built by Daihatsu.

freshprince94
09-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Echo is owned by Kioritz... nuff said.

Stihl is German owned but everything is assembeled and made in America according to my dealer.

mowingmachine
09-18-2008, 11:27 PM
I am with you on this one. I try to buy American whenever I can. Now on some stuff it is impossible but there are plenty of products that are primarily American made. I wish more Americans thought this way.

A global economy is fine as long as everything is exchanged evenly. The problem is the that there is a trade deficit and that is where the global economy will end up hurting Americans.

dgfitz
09-19-2008, 05:33 AM
[QUOTE=Green Pastures;2520133]Some of the post's in this thread are based in the attitude that got us where we are today.

Go back and read your history lessons, this nation was founded on the
Alexander Hamilton principle that DEBT is a commodity, can be traded or sold as any other commodity, and he sold the first DEBT to the Dutch, who
traded the DEBT to England, who in turn traded it to the world thru out the
British Empire. In our long history as a nation, we have always sold our
DEBT overseas, and China is just the latest purchaser. Only once during the
1950's did this nation have a "Balanced" budget, the rest of the world was
just too weak from WWII to "afford" our DEBT. The former Soviet Union largely defaulted because they would not participate in the global Debt comodities market, the Chinese still survive as a Communist nation because Richard Nixon convinced them to buy our "DEBT". Money is a product, just like corn, you can mill corn into cereal flakes, you can "mill"
money into DEBT, the larger the market, the more cereal or DEBT you can
sell and potentially profit from.
As another side, this nation has also been a net importer, not an exporter,
for most of it's history, except during the 1920's, and when the rest of the
world could not "afford" our trade imbalance, the Great Depression was a
result. So if you want to make your pastures greener, plant more DEBT, just
don't over do it.

topsites
09-19-2008, 05:42 AM
hmmm, selling my debt...

I wonder who would pay me for what I owe? :p

Here goes:
Buy my credit card debt, cheap!
Heck you can have it for free, just take over payments.

Hell yeah, great concept.

mississippiturf
09-19-2008, 08:48 AM
hmmm, selling my debt...

I wonder who would pay me for what I owe? :p

Here goes:
Buy my credit card debt, cheap!
Heck you can have it for free, just take over payments.

Hell yeah, great concept.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:^^^^^:laugh::laugh::laugh: Maybe we send less than a minimum payment to our credit card companies because debt is good!!

ALC-GregH
09-19-2008, 09:09 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:^^^^^:laugh::laugh::laugh: Maybe we send less than a minimum payment to our credit card companies because debt is good!!

Send less? Hell, I don't send any! I thought a CC was to get stuff for free! :D

Marcos
09-19-2008, 09:13 AM
http://www.createagarden.com/

Admittedly not a lot here, but it's ALL American made in Washington state.

I located it from a link off of this site, which, by the way, contains plenty of stuff that is not necessarily 100% made and/or assembled in the USA!

http://www.madeinusa.org/

AI Inc
09-19-2008, 09:34 AM
[

Added to my favorites. Ive always tryed to buy American made.

Marcos
09-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Marcos

Added to my favorites. Ive always tryed to buy American made.

You may want to call the vendor 1st to double-check the authenticity of the "American made" claim for whatever larger ticket item you're looking at specifically.

From what I've gathered from the disclaimer and from other folks who've used this site, any vendor who has any American made product is eligible to be included onto this site (for a fee, of course).

But the 'hook' is... he/she, or a specific company MAY ALSO BE offering foreign-made goods on madeinusa.org as a link attachment!
So be careful! :waving:

topsites
09-19-2008, 10:51 AM
I am on the side of the folks saying there is no such thing as 100% US made.

larryinalabama
09-19-2008, 11:08 AM
Actually I imported even my wife.

AI Inc
09-19-2008, 11:12 AM
I was installing a new backflow for a Chinease customer 2 yrs ago. Well ever sinse Febco starting building them in China they leak at the ball valves right out of the box. When I was done installing , I turned the water on and of course it leaked. Pulled the handle off and tightened the ball Valve. When the cstomer asked why I told him " not sure , they just all leak since made in China" Kid working with me said " well everythings made in China nowadays" we both looked at the customer and realized he was made in China too.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-19-2008, 03:52 PM
I was installing a new backflow for a Chinease customer 2 yrs ago. Well ever sinse Febco starting building them in China they leak at the ball valves right out of the box. When I was done installing , I turned the water on and of course it leaked. Pulled the handle off and tightened the ball Valve. When the cstomer asked why I told him " not sure , they just all leak since made in China" Kid working with me said " well everythings made in China nowadays" we both looked at the customer and realized he was made in China too.

Good story, but it is the root of our problems these days.
If we would have stood by our American made products years ago instead of apathetically buying this Chinese crap, we wouldn't be in the deal we are in these days.

As for me and my house :usflag:

Phil G
09-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Being an old fart from the UK I try to only buy UK and USA made products. We know we can't always get what we want, but at least try and source the product. The UK and the USA take a lot of kicking in the world and we as consumers should try and kick back. If the product I want is 10 to 20% more I don't care, provided it's made where I want to support our workers. I try to recommend and sell mowers with B&S engines, we have no small engine manufacturer in the UK. Most of our Stihl products are now Made in America, or maybe just assembled. I don't care, just as long as my hard earned is going where I want it.

How about this? We can buy Scottish Beef, good you think, fed on the finest Highland Pastures. But, the Beef is imported and provided it's prepared in Scotland they can call it Scottish Beef. Go figure.

Good luck, Phil

:usflag::usflag:http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g144/PhilGz/SmilieUKFlag.gif:usflag::usflag:

=

saylorsdad
09-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Badboy mowers are made in america. The engine choices are kohler "sweedish I think", briggs "american according to earlier post", and cat "american ?". Not sure about the hydro. I understand that john d hydro is imported although someone may correct me. I bought badboy because they're made here.

Rhinox29
09-19-2008, 04:06 PM
I wonder if American flags are made in America

mowingmachine
09-19-2008, 06:52 PM
Last time I checked Kohler engines were made in Kohler, WI. Did this change somewhere along the way??????

ScagGrassGuy1978
09-19-2008, 07:40 PM
Its sad isnt it?
Kawasaki, Echo, Shindaiwa.....All made in America, but the profit goes back to Japan.
Look at your Mowers, Ogura clutches....made in Japan. But the profit stays here.
Gone are the days of Homelite LOL and other American made 2 cycle stuff.
I try to buy American first, Then Canadian, Then I go to five letter countries LAST
Bill
I am 100 percent made in America..................And so are my employees.

Jamester
03-13-2010, 07:51 PM
I recently found Ace oil filters at Rural King. They've got a convenient cross reference on every box and found my B&S comparable filter. I used the Fram 3614 as the cross reference. Anyway, point being that on the box it proudly states numerously that it is an American product. Price was incredibly low at $1.99 ea. vs. $6.99 for the B&S.

unkownfl
03-14-2010, 12:21 AM
[QUOTE=Green Pastures;2520133]Some of the post's in this thread are based in the attitude that got us where we are today.

Go back and read your history lessons, this nation was founded on the
Alexander Hamilton principle that DEBT is a commodity, can be traded or sold as any other commodity, and he sold the first DEBT to the Dutch, who
traded the DEBT to England, who in turn traded it to the world thru out the
British Empire. In our long history as a nation, we have always sold our
DEBT overseas, and China is just the latest purchaser. Only once during the
1950's did this nation have a "Balanced" budget, the rest of the world was
just too weak from WWII to "afford" our DEBT. The former Soviet Union largely defaulted because they would not participate in the global Debt comodities market, the Chinese still survive as a Communist nation because Richard Nixon convinced them to buy our "DEBT". Money is a product, just like corn, you can mill corn into cereal flakes, you can "mill"
money into DEBT, the larger the market, the more cereal or DEBT you can
sell and potentially profit from.
As another side, this nation has also been a net importer, not an exporter,
for most of it's history, except during the 1920's, and when the rest of the
world could not "afford" our trade imbalance, the Great Depression was a
result. So if you want to make your pastures greener, plant more DEBT, just
don't over do it.

Last time we had a balanced budget was with Clinton. Last time and only time we had no national debt was with Andrew Jackson. Other than that, I agree with your theories.

Merkava_4
03-14-2010, 12:26 AM
One of the things that really surprised me when I signed
up on this board was how patriotic some of you guys are.
Who would've thought a bunch of gardeners were patriotic? :D

unkownfl
03-14-2010, 12:32 AM
One of the things that really surprised me when I signed
up on this board was how patriotic some of you guys are.
Who would've thought a bunch of gardeners were patriotic? :D

I don't think it has to do with what we do for a living. It's just we're Americans however, don't forget the roots of this country is mostly agriculture and live stock.

unkownfl
03-14-2010, 12:41 AM
Pretty sure the vanguard briggs engine is 100% made in USA now for a few years.

Merkava_4
03-14-2010, 12:42 AM

I've always thought that was a Mitsubishi produced engine...

Gunnels Grounds & More
03-14-2010, 12:44 AM
I 2nd your posting unkownfl.

unkownfl
03-14-2010, 12:45 AM
I've always thought that was a Mitsubishi produced engine...

I don't think they make it anymore it was designed and produced by them for awhile but within a few years ago I think its built here. It cost more to produce in Japan vs USA I think.

unkownfl
03-14-2010, 12:58 AM
Did some research according to Wikipedia single cylinder vanguard is built in USA v twin japan.

Merkava_4
03-14-2010, 01:14 AM
You guys do realize that if the Chinese had someway of sliding over
here on an escalator during the day, they'd be taking all your jobs away...

MikeKle
03-14-2010, 10:39 AM
You would be hard pressed to find 100% american equipment in this industry! Even if its made here, the profits go elsewhere usually. but the Japanese and chinese produce better products for this industry than we do, its that simple! Why spend the money on something american if you can get a japanese product that will last much longer and perform better? In the end, its your money! They have the best 2 strokes out there! Americans can not compete with them in this market. They have tried and failed everytime! Plus any diesel built by anybody else but the US is far superior to any diesel engine we could make. Its not un-patriotic to admit they have us beat when it comes to engines and lawn equipment. Just the way it is!

NEWGUYRI
03-14-2010, 01:20 PM
:usflag:ALL I CAN SAY IS: WALKER MOWERS.:usflag:

Just about the most US Made mower out there, mind you it's also one of the best:)

mowingmachine
03-14-2010, 04:57 PM

I'm 100% sure that at least some if not all of the Vanguards are made in Japan.

evanbrendel
03-14-2010, 05:16 PM
maybe we should all invest some cash and build our own equipment line totally USA

grassman177
03-14-2010, 06:38 PM
now that is a novel idea, it may jsut work if the right investors and marketing were avialable!!

but i love this resurected thread, and i have been making threads in recent moenths about american first, chinese last. i have made a conscience decision to look at were goods are made and try my darndest to buy the most american possible.

we had the original green machines of the early 80's that were american and still have one hedge trimmer that still runs, they were great untill bought out by japanese and it went down after that, probably exectution style to promote japanese engines. we have many japanese engines, of course made here, but we had better results with them over kohlers hands down. the new kohlers i understand are much better, but many of the mowers we have dont offer american made engines anylonger like wright and at the time the warriors had only kawi, but now have kohler.

evanbrendel
03-14-2010, 06:40 PM
keep is updated what is the most american!

mowingmachine
03-14-2010, 07:08 PM
maybe we should all invest some cash and build our own equipment line totally USA

The vast majority of mowers are already manufactured in the US. Other than Kubota there really isn't any other non US brand that is worth anything. The US definitly has the market cornered on mower manufacturing. Same holds true with farm equipment.

There isn't anything that is 100% American made when it comes to equipment. Maybe 90-95% and that is really what is meant by American made. Now days the only way you could make that happen would be to own all of the individual companies that make components for mowers. That wouldn't be practical.

evanbrendel
03-14-2010, 08:13 PM
no it wouldnt but it would be cool

mowingmachine
03-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Yes it would be cool. It really hasn't been that many years since all of this off-shore manufacturing got popular. Maybe 10 years now. I really hope that some day much of this manufacturing comes back to the US. It certainly could as transportation costs and wages in places like China continue to rise.

MikeKle
03-14-2010, 11:06 PM
I realize many companies can have their products made overseas to save on labor costs, but what about the huge cost to ship it here? China is halfway across the world, and I dont know about any of you all, but the last time I went to ship something within a few states, it was ridiculous what they wanted for shipping, I couldnt imagine what the price would be to ship..say, a skid of something to china, or from china to here? So with these HUGE shipping costs, how how are they really saving any money by having it made in china? If they made that product here, yes the labor will be higher, but they wouldnt have that huge shipping bill from halfway across the planet!!

grassman177
03-14-2010, 11:13 PM
depends on how much cheaper they are making it, and you would be surpised

anotherturfgeek
03-14-2010, 11:31 PM
Walmart is killing alot of american mfg jobs. It is really hard to find anything made in america on their shelves. The american flags are even made in china!

If wally world continues its dominance in the market god help us all. A mom and pop store is a thing of the past already.
God bless you and all others who only buy products made here in the great USA!!!

unkownfl
03-15-2010, 12:01 AM
I realize many companies can have their products made overseas to save on labor costs, but what about the huge cost to ship it here? China is halfway across the world, and I dont know about any of you all, but the last time I went to ship something within a few states, it was ridiculous what they wanted for shipping, I couldnt imagine what the price would be to ship..say, a skid of something to china, or from china to here? So with these HUGE shipping costs, how how are they really saving any money by having it made in china? If they made that product here, yes the labor will be higher, but they wouldnt have that huge shipping bill from halfway across the planet!!

It's really cheap to have things shipped from China. It's cheaper to get it to the states then from Florida to New York Sadly!!!

mowingmachine
03-15-2010, 12:12 AM

You would be surprised how cheap a container ships for. If you were only shipping a skid then yes it would cost way to much. You have to have fairly high volumes to work with China. Back in 2008 when the fuel prices/shipping costs were so high I am sure it made less sense. From what I have seen, you can have a part made in China and shipped here for about 1/3 the cost of what it would be if it were made here.

I'm just stating the facts but in no way am I defending the off-shore manufacturing mentallity. I can't stand seeing "Made in China" anymore. It really irritates me that more Americans are not bothered by it.

grassman177
03-15-2010, 02:07 AM
it irritates the heck outa me too, i try to educate lots of people i know without coming across to harsh, but enough to get the point across.

unkownfl
03-15-2010, 02:09 AM
Two diesel electric engine just a tad bigger than a semi truck powers 400 plus ft long ships thats why it's so cheap to ship.

Richard Martin
03-15-2010, 04:39 AM

Back around 2005, 2006, shipping magnates across the world were fooled into thinking that the good times would last forever too. In their quest to become the biggest and the baddest, whole fleets of container ships were ordered. Those fleets are coming online right now as we speak. Shipping is pretty cheap and there doesn't appear to be a reason for it to get more expensive anytime soon. Here's one of my favorite webcams. It's from the APM terminals at the port of LA, the busiest port in the US. Up until about the end of 2008 there were ships to be seen everywhere. Sometimes 2 at a time tied up to the pier in the foreground. Now if you see 2 ships in a week it's a miracle.

http://dataservices.namapmterminals.com/apmt/cameras2.aspx?address1=http://10.1.197.151/axis-cgi/jpg/image.cgi?resolution=352x288&address2=http://10.1.197.153/axis-cgi/jpg/image.cgi?resolution=352x288

Marcos
03-15-2010, 10:55 AM
The vast majority of mowers are already manufactured in the US. Other than Kubota there really isn't any other non US brand that is worth anything. The US definitly has the market cornered on mower manufacturing. Same holds true with farm equipment.

There isn't anything that is 100% American made when it comes to equipment. Maybe 90-95% and that is really what is meant by American made. Now days the only way you could make that happen would be to own all of the individual companies that make components for mowers. That wouldn't be practical.

You're living in an absolute dream world of propped-up old brand names of days gone by.

mowingmachine
03-15-2010, 04:04 PM
You're living in an absolute dream world of propped-up old brand names of days gone by.

Please do explain. Other than some components the vast majority of mowers are manufactured in the US. I'm not talking about the cheap stuff even though quite a bit of that is still made here too. I'm talking about companies like Exmark, Toro, Huslter, Gravely, Dixie Chopper, Scag, John Deere, Wright just to name a few. There are plenty of other ones too. These products are 90-95% American made.

unkownfl
03-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Please do explain. Other than some components the vast majority of mowers are manufactured in the US. I'm not talking about the cheap stuff even though quite a bit of that is still made here too. I'm talking about companies like Exmark, Toro, Huslter, Gravely, Dixie Chopper, Scag, John Deere, Wright just to name a few. There are plenty of other ones too. These products are 90-95% American made.

with Chinese parts. Whats American on the machine the steel frame it self and some nuts and bolts thats about it. Maybe the pumps and wheel motor but start breaking those down and I guarantee some parts in them have Chinese parts as well.

mowingmachine
03-15-2010, 04:43 PM
with Chinese parts. Whats American on the machine the steel frame it self and some nuts and bolts thats about it. Maybe the pumps and wheel motor but start breaking those down and I guarantee some parts in them have Chinese parts as well.

Yes I'm sure there are some Chinese parts but a big share of a mower is the frame and deck. A mower manufacturer only designs the deck and frame and all other items are sourced else where. The pumps and wheel motors could go either way but a good share of those are 90% American made. If the engines are Kohlers then the majority of the engine would be American made as well. The blades are American made and most likely the wheels are American made with Chinese tires. The blade spindles could go either way but the bearings are most likely foreign. Any plastic components are most likely American made. If you look at the overall product I think you will find that they are 90-95% American made (especially with a Kohler engine).

unkownfl
03-15-2010, 04:48 PM
depends on how your measuring the percentage based on weight or actual individual components. I would say at least half of any mower even with a Kohler is foreign. By the time you add the switches tires little plastic knobs pull string and all the little odds and ends. If you talking about the weight then yea 90% is American.

ALC-GregH
03-15-2010, 05:17 PM
depends on how much cheaper they are making it, and you would be surpised

no doubt considering something you pay $20 for retail only cost $2-3 to make.

Richard Martin
03-15-2010, 05:53 PM
depends on how your measuring the percentage based on weight or actual individual components. I would say at least half of any mower even with a Kohler is foreign. By the time you add the switches tires little plastic knobs pull string and all the little odds and ends. If you talking about the weight then yea 90% is American.

You're really reaching now eh? :usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag:

madisonpressurewashing
03-15-2010, 05:56 PM
http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/?page=About+Better%5FL%2Ehtm GO USA!!

Marcos
03-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by mowingmachine

Bingo!

And many pieces of equipment that are 'made in USA" are actually assembled 90-95% or so in Mexico, with only the final touches happening here so the "Made in USA" sticker can be attached legally & without the equipment mfr carrying a guilty conscience into any potential court proceeding. :wall

Richard Martin
03-15-2010, 05:59 PM
The anti-American faction here at Lawnsite likes to speak out of both sides of their mouths. When we dicuss the Red Hawk mowers they like to point out that it's is a Chinese commie steel mower with American components. But when we talk about American steel mowers they are so quick to point out that the components are made in China.

Which way is it? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

mowingmachine
03-15-2010, 08:41 PM

Nope I'm talking about the number of individual components and the overall cost of those components compared to American made components. They are going to be very minor parts on the majority of American made mowers.