PDA

View Full Version : Any tricks to bring back a dead battery?

TimTim2008
09-18-2008, 09:41 AM
http://www.tayna.co.uk/getimage.php?image=tayna_car/2006numax065.jpg

Is there any tricks to bringing back a dead battery?

i have tons of them laying around the house... some not too old..

was going to take them to the recycler this weekend, after i tried to recharge them one more time..

topsites
09-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Yes, buy a new one :p

Seriously, I would try the lowest amp-setting trickle charge, leave it overnight
or even 24 hours, some are likely to hold the charge, others might not.

Personally, I would recommend the following times, this is considering a 1-2 amp trickle charge:
Up to 400amps cc, overnight.
5-6-700 cca's, 24 hours.
750-1000 cca's, 36 hours.
And if you have any >1000 cca's or 1500's, also some 750-1000's will take 48 hours and to play it 100% safe.
But most of the 2-3-400 cca small batteries, 12 hours / overnight should be enough.

TimTim2008
09-19-2008, 05:12 PM
ok thanks...

TimTim2008
12-27-2008, 05:38 AM
damn winter just killed another battery of mine..

Jason Rose
12-27-2008, 10:18 AM
You live in Georgia!? How cold it is, like 40? lol!

Ask most mechanics and they will tell you that it's not the cold that kills battereis, it's heat. Now, I don't get it either... Maybe the heat over the summer weakens them and then when the cold gets there they don't have the cca's they are supposed too anymore.

What brand of batteries are you using? I've never seen a Numax before. I think most are good batteries anymore, though I like to stick with Interstate. As long as they have a long warranty you should be safe. Most have a 36 or 48 month full replacement, and 72 to 80 month pro-rated. My last Interstate lasted exactly to the end of the warranty, which I thought was quite funny.

DLAWNS
12-27-2008, 11:04 AM
I just recycle mine.

PROCUT1
12-27-2008, 11:52 AM
I have had to listen to this story a thousand times.

My father, years ago worked in the goodyear warranty department.
When warranty and core batteries would come in as returns or just beyond their life, they would take every one of them and put them on a sloooow trickle charge for like 24 or 48 hours....

After doing that and load testing them and such 9 out of 10 of them were good.

Everytime i want to toss a battery, he takes the darn thing and does that.....And as much as I hate to admit it, hes usually right. It goes back in a truck or piece of equipment and lives on another few years......haha

So try that.

muddstopper
12-27-2008, 01:06 PM
I have taken a wallwart charger and left it hooked up for a week and brought a couple of batteries back to life. I havent had as much success using my bigger charger set at the lowest 2amp setting. The theory I was told is that the low amperage will slowly cause the electrolite to bubble and clean the plates inside the battery, which is what causes the batteries to fail. according to my info, the sulfate build up on the plates prevent current flow between the plate, and if the build up is sever enought can actually short out the plates. I havent verified this with any other source, so I dont know how true it is, but sometimes the trickel charge works, and sometimes it doesnt.

Grassmechanic
12-28-2008, 01:33 PM
I've done this in the past, but since all I use now is Optima batteries, I don't have to.

Drain the old acid out into a container and flush the plates as best as you can with distilled water. As long as junk keeps coming out, keep flushing. When you are satisfied that you've cleaned it out, fill it with distilled water and trickle charge with a 1/2 amp (or 1 amp, but lower is better) motorcycle-type charger for 24 -48 hrs. Check water level every couple of hours at first and add distilled water if necessary. I've gotten an additional 2-3 years out of a battery.

TimTim2008
07-28-2010, 09:28 PM
I've done this in the past, but since all I use now is Optima batteries, I don't have to.

Drain the old acid out into a container and flush the plates as best as you can with distilled water. As long as junk keeps coming out, keep flushing. When you are satisfied that you've cleaned it out, fill it with distilled water and trickle charge with a 1/2 amp (or 1 amp, but lower is better) motorcycle-type charger for 24 -48 hrs. Check water level every couple of hours at first and add distilled water if necessary. I've gotten an additional 2-3 years out of a battery.

can i use Tap water? or it must be distilled?

do i need new acid?

poncho62
07-28-2010, 09:34 PM
Buy distilled water....its a buck a gallon.......It becomes the acid once charged

unkownfl
07-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Lets just raise the dead why don't we....

STIHL GUY
07-31-2010, 12:04 PM
i would try to trickle charge them...if that doesnt work its time for a new battery

igotdiesel2
07-31-2010, 05:23 PM
Lets just raise the dead why don't we....

Give TimTim credit, he must have used the search function instead of just posting a new thread for the answer. -Jason

poolboy
08-01-2010, 07:11 AM
When I was in the military our batteries were notorious for going dead when training in the field. An old school Army mechanic told me to add one aspirin to each cell. I'm not sure what it did to the battery exactly, but it usually worked. You still had have another vehicle jump off the battery though.

poncho62
08-01-2010, 08:25 AM
When I was in the military our batteries were notorious for going dead when training in the field. An old school Army mechanic told me to add one aspirin to each cell. I'm not sure what it did to the battery exactly, but it usually worked. You still had have another vehicle jump off the battery though.

Well, if you still have to boost it, its NFG.........:dizzy:

poolboy
08-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Well, if you still have to boost it, its NFG.........:dizzy:

The military was a long time ago, maybe I don't quite remember needing the jump. Anyway...

http://www.ehow.com/how_2363570_start-dead-battery-aspirin.html

speedster
08-01-2010, 08:44 AM
http://www.tayna.co.uk/getimage.php?image=tayna_car/2006numax065.jpg

Is there any tricks to bringing back a dead battery?

i have tons of them laying around the house... some not too old..

was going to take them to the recycler this weekend, after i tried to recharge them one more time..

I'm not sure what type of battery you are talking about. NiCD, Lead Acid?, NiMH?

If you are talking about NiCD like the 18V packs that come with cordless drills you can try voltage surging. It seriously works. I've surged old worn out batteries for my 12V Milwaukee drill and a 14.4V craftsman drill. Don't try this on any batteries that aren't NiCD.

You can learn about it at
http://ysuusy.com/easybatteryfix.html

igotdiesel2
08-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Thank you Speedster! I have always wanted to try that but didn't want to pay the 10 bucks on ebay for it. -Jason

TimTim2008
08-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Thank you Speedster! I have always wanted to try that but didn't want to pay the 10 bucks on ebay for it. -Jason

lol. me 2..