PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with my Ferris 61"

CTmower
09-18-2008, 01:43 PM
seriously thinking about selling or trading in my 61/25 Ferris WB after the season is up. On dry days it cuts great, no complaints what so ever. But on dewy or wet days its a different story. It always starts off cutting good but then the grass starts getting stuck under the deck and at random times the mower just burps and throws all the clumps out at once. I use to use a 52" ferris with a solid deck and never seemed to have this problem. The new floating deck seems to be causing me some problems. Anyone else have this issue, if so any recommendations how to fix it, or do i just have to live with it???

ojpent
09-18-2008, 01:50 PM
My ferris ZTR does the same thing the new deck are junk, bad suction and clipping dispursement.. Their saying Ferris has something new coming out soon.. Check out http://www.mowingevolution.com/

mississippiturf
09-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Try a different blade with less vacuum. See if your dealer has any solutions.

beano
09-18-2008, 03:01 PM
My 48" has the same problem, high lift blades are better than gator but it still stinks.

Neil M
09-18-2008, 09:36 PM
I have the same problem with my 52" 1500 25hp. Dry grass cuts great, wet grass leaves strands of grass and the burp of grass which is a pain to blow apart. I'm thinking of going to the scag turf tiger 29hp dfi 61" velocity deck. I heard its a great machine.

mattfromNY
09-18-2008, 09:59 PM
My 52" DD rarely ever clumps up, disperses clippings great, wet or dry. My 61" IS2000 acts exactly as you described, cuts great until the deck starts plugging, then the infamous whining of the belt about to blow apart, next one big loaf of grass explodes out the discharge side... repeat over and over. I've tried high lift, low lift, and mulching blades. Was even told to put a mulching blade on the discharge side w/ low lifts on the inside spindles- no difference. I've replaced the little baffle at the discharge chute b/c it had a tiny little ding, thought that would help- Nope. We sharpen blades and scrape the decks every day. Dry grass, no problem. Wet grass or lots of broadleaf weeds, turds and loafs of grass all over the place.

TomberLawn
09-18-2008, 10:13 PM
You can blow out the loafs at a good place if you idle down with the deck engaged, then rev it back up. I guess the temporary lack of lift lets the grass fall, then revving up sprays it out. I'll do this while the discharge is facing uncut grass, so the clump is dispersed when I mow that area.

Has anybody tried double blades on a Ferris and had success (smooth cut, no clumping, etc)?