PDA

View Full Version : dixie chopper ztr's...any good?

Squirter
09-18-2008, 02:31 PM
how come i don't see much about dixie choppers in this forum??? a buddy of mine has one (2007) "silver eagle" with a 25 hp generac and he says they are as good as a comparable scag....if in fact an entry level scag exists.

any thoughts on dixie chopper???

mississippiturf
09-18-2008, 02:38 PM
From all I've heard, the D/C's are excellent. Problem is: People tend to do business with local dealers for service ans support and there are not any D/C dealers in my area.

z71tiger
09-18-2008, 03:15 PM
I have an 04 silver eagle with the 25hp generac and 50" deck with 318 hours on it and i have not had one problem with it. They are really popular around here as we have two dealers in our area.

Squirter
09-18-2008, 03:59 PM
i live in Indiana and if i'm not mistaken, dixie chopper may be made right here. this could explain why my buddy says he sees more dixie choppers on trailors than any other ztr. he says it took him 2 years or researching ztr's before he finally pulled the trigger and settled in on the dixie chopper. he admits his is an entry level model, but, the deluxe models compare very favorably with scag...and some of the other big names.

i'm not in the lc business. i'm just a homeowner toying with the idea of buying a ztr. i'm mowing/maintaining 4 small residential sized lawn (perennial rye/kentucky bluegrass) with approx. 10,000 sq. ft. of turf each. currently, i'm using my good ole' john deere x-300 riding lawn tractor and frankly, it's probably plenty good enough for my needs. also, i don't have that many trees to deal with so a ztr would be overkill however, i'm not at all satisfied with the quality of cut that i'm getting and it takes more time to mow than i care to devote. (this is not bashing John Deere)

my lawn is as near perfect as it gets and i'm really particular about its upkeep and appearance. after i'm done mowing with the JD, it looks so uneven and chopped...i'm thinking its time to step into a ztr. besides, i may retire and use a ztr to make a little money to supplement my pension. only thinking of maintaining 10 or so lawns

any suggestions for a suitable ztr???

Razorblades
09-18-2008, 04:42 PM
There are alot of good brands to choose from. Since you live in Indiana, you might consider another Indiana built Zero Turn mower. That brand is Lastec. They have articulating decks which follow the contour of the ground better. They have a factory demo sale going on with some very good prices. Go to their website and click on the "Fall fire Sale" icon. It show all of the mowers in the sale, with hours, yr model and price. The website is; www.lastec.com

Richard Martin
09-18-2008, 06:42 PM
I've been using Dixies since 2001 and have had very few, very minor problems. Mostly with the cables. The spindles on these mowers are literally bulletproof. I did break one a long time ago but it was an extreme situation. Here's some stuff that I've recently run over.

This is a 3 foot long piece of angle iron. I presume it didn't look like this before I ran it over.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/angleiron.jpg

Here's a 2 foot long spike that the mower ejected Wednesday.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/stake.jpg

MileHigh
09-18-2008, 06:55 PM
I see several lco's around my area using...and they leave a superb cut with some mean stripes.

Restrorob
09-18-2008, 07:44 PM
I have been working at the same shop/dealership for 18 years. We have sold four other major brand units (I won't disclose which). I got sooo tired of trying to keep two of those brands going I nearly quit a couple times.

Since taking on the Dixie line seven years ago my job is much easier because there are less break-downs and as Richard Martin said " The spindles on these mowers are literally bulletproof ".

From my experience spinning wrenches, Dixies are the best mower we've ever sold.

RTR Landscaping
09-18-2008, 08:38 PM
I've never used a Dixie Chopper so I won't comment about them.I have and still do use all Scag mowers. To me, there isn't any mower built better than a Scag. My suggeston to you would be to look at some mowers and talk to the dealers in your area.Look at a cut away of the spindles and see for yourself how well each brand is made.Almost any commercial grade mower will last a homeowner a long long time.There are reasons that Scag and Exmark are the leading brands in most markets.I'm sure Dixie Chopper would love to have more dealers to sell their product, but they are not a major player in the commercial market.Good luck!

brandon9996
09-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Dixie Choppers are a beast..i just bought a 2760 Realtree Edition Dixie Chopper..i got a striping attachment with it and my customers love it..i traded two 07 John Deere x724's for it and i like the dixie alot better.

Murphy's LawnCare
09-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Brandon ....Show us some pics man I wanna see that thing. How much did it retail for?

Restrorob
09-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Brandon ....Show us some pics man I wanna see that thing.

http://www.dixiechopper.com/images/model_rtcl_mower.jpg

You can gander more here;

http://www.dixiechopper.com/model_clrt.php

Hawg City Lawns
09-18-2008, 11:56 PM
i couldnt have that... id be mowing an overgrown property and go "**** where did i put my mower?!"

brandon9996
09-19-2008, 06:39 PM
yeah i will try an get some pics posted up pretty soon i havnt took any of it yet..but i bought it for $8,636. Really reasonable because i was expecting it to be in the $10,000 - $15,000 range.