PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper Mower Owners...

SLC, LLC
09-18-2008, 04:38 PM
I am seeking input on the Grasshopper Mower. We currently maintain a cemetery each week that is 22 acres in all, 15 acres in stones. Our walk-behind units with a sulkie will mow circles around our mid-mount ztr with the capability of getting in and out of the stones better. I am currently thinking about purchasing a Grasshopper brand front mount, as obviously see that there is a variation in just about everything.
My first queston is, those that have run them - do you like them? There is one model with a G2 hydro - what does this mean? Liquid-cooled or air-cooled?
My next question is how well do they handle leaf cleanup with the vac system?

Any input would be most appreciated.

Four Seasons Lawn
09-18-2008, 08:41 PM
I have a outfront 721 diesel G2. I love it for maneuvering around things. The cut is no where as good as my Toro Z557 60"Turboforce. The bagging system is as good as it gets. The G2 is the transmission/hydraulic system. The Kubota gas or diesel liquid cooled are extremely durable engines. If you didnt mind the extra cost go for one of those engines. I have a Kohler air cooled 27hp on my Toro and its good too. Just research and demo to find what you like. The only thing I really dislike about the Grasshopper is the ability to handle damp grass. Thats where the turboforce Toro shines. I hope i've helped.

Lehighlawnpros
09-19-2008, 10:22 PM
We have three Grasshopper outfronts, all with liquid cooled
Kubota engines (two gas, one diesel).

We've had excellent success with them, one has provided
more than 15 years of service, one has over 7,000 hours,
and one is a diesel (722D) and gets .6 gallon per hour fuel economy!

Our newest one has the G2 hydraulics which are faster and seem more reliable than the older "Gemini" system.

I recommend the "Powerfold" option for the outfront deck,
which provides electric height adjustment and also tilts the deck up for easy cleaning and blade changing.

I haven't used the vac system but I've heard they work great.

If we got 7,000 hours from a gas 725 and it still runs and mows like new, then I figure that we'll get 10,000+ hours from the diesel 722, and during that time it will easily pay for itself in fuel savings, especially when you consider that many comparable gas engines will consume 1.5 GPH or more.

Highly recommended!

Bob
Lehighlawnpros

hornet506
11-03-2008, 03:14 PM
If a Grasshopper is having difficulty with wet anything, then the operator is using the wrong blades, or something is bent or out of adjustment. Grasshopper vacs are the best on the market!! The newest transmission is the "T drive". Check grasshoppermower.com for more info.

You should most definitely go with Diesel.

TLS
11-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Having run front mounts before, I find it hard to imagine anything better than a mid mount for graveyards. With ANY front mount, you have rear end swing. Anything past those drive tires is going to be swinging into things.

I would want the most compact, short midmount ZTR there is. Grasshoppers are known for being the LONGEST there is.

Four Seasons Lawn
11-03-2008, 08:11 PM
If a Grasshopper is having difficulty with wet anything, then the operator is using the wrong blades, or something is bent or out of adjustment. Grasshopper vacs are the best on the market!! The newest transmission is the "T drive". Check grasshoppermower.com for more info.

You should most definitely go with Diesel.

I've owned 2 Grasshopper 721d 60" and neither one handled the wet grass like the Toro does. I've used nothing but Grasshopper blades and mowers are in A1 shape. They'll cut wet but dont expect the same results as my Toro turbo force. Regardless they are a good and durable mower and I would recommend them to anyone.

Jason Rose
11-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Well, I have a Midmount grasshopper and am pretty satisified. I can tell you, the midmounts, if you do decide to go that way, are horsepower hogs. Don't know what kind of cutting width you are wanting, but plan high on the ponies. Mine is a 61" 27hp, and it's underpowered about half the time. Aside fromt that, the cut is awesome and the reliability has been better than any machine I've owned, and I've been doing this for about 14 years.

The grass catcher is probably one of the best on the market, I will agree. I bag 95% of the time, so I have a lot of hours on my catcher in every condition. In wet times of the year, and for dewey grass you are going to want to run high-lift blades, not the medium lifts they recommend. You will still get some clogging in thick grass. I've used many mowers, and haven't found one that dosn't.

zimmatic
11-05-2008, 02:17 AM
Grasshopper is planning a midmount that is 40hp diesel it isnt in production yet/as Im told. The 928d is discontinued and moving to a 30hp diesel/so I am told. I LOVE my
928d and the bagger works GREAT. I have a 321d midmount. When I buy a new on I am going for the 40hp diesel I have some hills and when the grass is think the 321 bogs down with a 61" I would never buy a gas, the diesel just has more torque. I wount buy any other ride on machine. The cost is for the machines is higher but you get what you pay for, besides there are a ton of dealers imo and price of machines vary widely. I priced a 08 928d w/72" in Nebraska for 13k and in Minnesota same machine for 15.5K

Great machines.

hornet506
11-08-2008, 10:40 AM
I've owned 2 Grasshopper 721d 60" and neither one handled the wet grass like the Toro does. I've used nothing but Grasshopper blades and mowers are in A1 shape. They'll cut wet but dont expect the same results as my Toro turbo force. Regardless they are a good and durable mower and I would recommend them to anyone.
Well, the 21HP with a 61" cut AND vac system leaves you a little under powered. The new 25HP diesel makes a HUGE difference when bagging.

retrodog
11-08-2008, 10:51 AM
I had an 06 722d with a 61" deck, and it was underpowered for me, it would bog up and die in normal high grass with a little dew on the ground (we tried many different blades). I would strongly recommend getting a higher hp for a front deck, get the powerfold (a must have), and really think twice on buying the front mount for the cemetery. I can't tell you how many times somebody swung the back end around and knocked over a tombstone! It could be really costly for your business to get it.....lol. I run all mid mounts now, found they were much more productive than the Hoppers.

Scarlawnturf
11-08-2008, 12:08 PM
I have an 2004 722D and absolutely love it. I'd buy again in a minute. There are times when cutting wet, heavy grass while climbing a hill, that I feel that it could use extra power, but all you need to do is pull back on the levers and not try to cut so fast and you have full power. The cut with my 61" deck is one of the best in the business. (I cut mostly fescue) When cutting wet or lush spring growth, you need to put on "wet blades" (that's what the local Grasshopper Rep used to call them) They are a high lift blade that's a bit wider than the normal Grasshopper high lift. The underside stays much cleaner with them installed. The only attachment that I've used is an aeravator that I once owned and it performed perfectly with no power issues. I have about 600 hrs on the machine and have only replaced the fuel shutoff solenoid and two hydro belts. Very reliable machine.