PDA

View Full Version : backpack or walk behind?

HLM86
09-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Which would be prefered for cleaning up leaves, parking lots, ect. A backpack like the Stihl BR 600/Redmax EBZ8001 or a walk behind like the 9 or 13 h.p. Billygoat? I'm not really looking for a brand recommendation, just trying to figure out whether to get a powerful backpack or a powerful walk behind. Thanks.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
09-18-2008, 04:55 PM
if your doing just parking lots go for the Billey Goat. If your mowing while your there blow off parking lot and mow.

James

dfor
09-18-2008, 05:56 PM
What size properties will you be using it on. For large lots, I'd get the walk behind blower. It they are postage size, go for the backpack.

ed2hess
09-18-2008, 06:28 PM
We have both....big Echo backpacks and a 13HP walkbehind. That big walkbehind sits in the shed until we get into the period when we need to move a lot of leaves across big parking lots. I tested a 9hp walkbehind and it wasn't much different than a big backpack. The reason we looked at the 9hp first was due to weight of the bigger unit. Ultimately decided on the big 13hp but ours would be too heavy to move across lawns and it would blow to much top soil off anyway. And it would create a major dust storm.

HLM86
09-18-2008, 06:44 PM
It would be used for medium sized parking lots (think drug stores like RiteAid or CVS), and properties from 1/4 acre up to 12-14 acres (but the entire property is not usually covered in debris). We have a lot of pinestraw and pine cones to clean up in my area which takes a lot of air to move. I didn't know if the walk behinds would be as versital as the backpack, like in tight areas or areas with fences where we have to get the corners. Whatever we get would be paired with a Stihl BR 420. Thanks for the help.

Grits
09-18-2008, 06:45 PM
WB. The big Force is a monster and light weight. I have a 755 Bp and a Little Wonder WB. I use the Bp a LOT more, but it is nice to have the WB when you need it.

dura to the max
09-18-2008, 07:07 PM
if you have 12-14 acres that need to be blown off then your not even close. look at the hurricane blower (listed to the left), walker mower products, and blower options for many other ztr mowers. i have both types of blowers, and each have their place. bp for regular lawn care, and a wb for large parking lots, fall/winter cleanups, etc. they all have their places, and imo the wb is too bulky to be productive for regular lawn care/parking lots, but great for large amounts of cleanup.

STIHL GUY
09-18-2008, 11:11 PM
the backpack is nice in tight places and can go virtually anywhere

sven1277
09-18-2008, 11:27 PM
It sounds like you need both. A walkbehind will move a lot, but a bp is much more manuverable. Used together, they work even better.

stick9
09-19-2008, 01:57 AM
It sounds like you need both. A walkbehind will move a lot, but a bp is much more manuverable. Used together, they work even better.

Yup. Definitely the right tool for the job.

Walkbehind for bulk blowing and backpack for the fine-tuning aspects. I'd hate to clean grass out of a mulch bed w/ a walkbehind blower. That'd be disasterous.

topsites
09-19-2008, 03:57 AM
It would be used for medium sized parking lots (think drug stores like RiteAid or CVS), and properties from 1/4 acre up to 12-14 acres (but the entire property is not usually covered in debris). We have a lot of pinestraw and pine cones to clean up in my area which takes a lot of air to move. I didn't know if the walk behinds would be as versital as the backpack, like in tight areas or areas with fences where we have to get the corners. Whatever we get would be paired with a Stihl BR 420. Thanks for the help.

Yeah I'd really want or need a push blower if it were me, even smallish parking lots become a bear with just a puny
backpack (even the top models) it just doesn't put out enough air and it's not as uni-directional as the pb.

Same for acre+ lots, you would be hating life with a backpack.
Also I recommend at least 8hp but 10 is better,
unfortunately they're not cheap.