PDA

View Full Version : Tricks and Tips

Chris J
09-18-2008, 05:10 PM
I thought I'd start this thread so we can share ideas that we have found that make our lives easier. The thought occured to me as I was working on a job today.

My first tip: When jetting or boring under driveways, the pipe can sometimes veer off course by hitting a rock or obstacle and not come out in the box that you have prepared. When this happens, it usually means a lot of digging because you don't know if it went left, right or down. If you have a locator such as the 521, you can simply place a length of wire through the pipe and track to where it has gone at the end. Then you simply dig straight down until you find it. I've been doing this for quite some time now, but I thought this might help some of you who have gotten yourself into this situation. Yet another good reason to have a locator on your truck as they will save you huge amounts of time and hassle.

bmwsmity
09-18-2008, 09:00 PM
great info chris! thanks!

Chris J
09-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Here's another tip:

When running wire down pipes, gutter down spouts or other enclosures like the beams in screen enclosures, attach a length of chain (pull cord, like ceiling fan chain) to the end of the wire. When you get to the exit hole, you can use a magnet to pull it out along with the wire. This method prevents you from having to make a large exit hole.

David Gretzmier
09-20-2008, 11:19 PM
sweet tips. One I have tested this year- get a tool belt-pouch that goes on your belt. mine has 2 large pockets for connectors and tools, and several small pockets for screwdriver, volt meter, cell phone, util. knife, etc. I have tried carrying around the cutters, strippers, connectors, screwdriver, etc, in a bag, and it is way faster to have it right at your hip like a gunslinger. they only cost 15 bucks or so, and well worth it.

JoeyD
09-21-2008, 10:59 PM
know ohms law and use an amp meter for everything when troubleshooting.........IF you dont understand call me and I will enlighten!

irrig8r
09-22-2008, 01:01 AM
When checking well-shielded pathlights on a job during the day, use a telescoping inspection mirror and spend less time on your knees.

TXNSLighting
09-22-2008, 11:46 AM
When checking well-shielded pathlights on a job during the day, use a telescoping inspection mirror and spend less time on your knees.

I just use my hand. I guess i have reflective hands! ha!

EOL
09-22-2008, 08:22 PM
:clapping::clapping::clapping:I thought I'd start this thread so we can share ideas that we have found that make our lives easier. The thought occured to me as I was working on a job today.

My first tip: When jetting or boring under driveways, the pipe can sometimes veer off course by hitting a rock or obstacle and not come out in the box that you have prepared. When this happens, it usually means a lot of digging because you don't know if it went left, right or down. If you have a locator such as the 521, you can simply place a length of wire through the pipe and track to where it has gone at the end. Then you simply dig straight down until you find it. I've been doing this for quite some time now, but I thought this might help some of you who have gotten yourself into this situation. Yet another good reason to have a locator on your truck as they will save you huge amounts of time and hassle.

I am a great fan of the locating machine. I have one, and will not ever leave home without it. I installed for this developer that had a community lazy river put in. Instead of installing a community pool he install a lazy river which you float round and round on a tube. Well he wanted lights on two oaks on the island. Thank god I had that locator because all I did was pushed a steel fish tape in the conduit which ran straight to the island and then dead end. I located it with my locator and dug 4' straight down. I would have been there all freakin day if I did'nt have that locator.

Lite4
09-23-2008, 10:07 AM
What brand and model locator are you guys using?

EOL
09-23-2008, 04:28 PM
When I get back to my trailer this evening I will get that for you. This one can also tell you how many inches below ground the conduit, wire, or what ever you are locating is.

Chris J
09-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Tempo 521. It will do what Efrain just said.

irrig8r
09-23-2008, 06:02 PM
The Tempo 521 will not "tell you" how many inches, you have to deduce that. Same with the Pro-Tech 600.

Chris J
09-23-2008, 10:00 PM
What do you mean Gregg (deduce)? I'm not quite sure how to do it as I never use it for that, but I'm pretty sure there is a way to calculate how deep by using that bubble level on the hand-held wand. I'll have to break out the instructions......one day.

irrig8r
09-23-2008, 10:40 PM
I mean it doesn't have a depth gauge on it.... you have to figure it out (calculate, deduce) using the angle, etc.

Deduce, as in step-by-step deductive reasoning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deductive_reasoning), ala Sherlock Holmes.

Tomwilllight
09-24-2008, 01:01 PM
I just use my hand. I guess i have reflective hands! ha!

I look at my wedding band. If it's shining, the lamp is working.

Tom

EOL
09-27-2008, 12:44 PM
What brand and model locator are you guys using?

Hey that brand and model for that locator is by DitchWitch/subsite electronics model 950t. Works great.

Mike M
09-27-2008, 04:27 PM
I got the Tempo mini to save money when looking for a dog fence wire I broke about two months ago. It did the job, but I've since used it for finding problems with lv wire, and it's a big PITA.

I wish I knew the difference in capabilities back then, I should have gotten a more adequate instrument.