PDA

View Full Version : High school kids and push mowers

Icepuck72
09-18-2008, 07:31 PM
I know it's been discussed here before, but I did an estimate on a lawn (decent sized) with a back yard and small gate. Of course the gates are too small and will have to do it with the el cheapo 21". I told her the estimate and you would have thought I had snakes coming out of my eyes.

First cut was $120, thereafter (every 2 weeks) $60. Grass was a foot long in some places, never been edged (driveway, sidewalks, flower beds etc....). She said her neighborhood school kid was cutting it and totally stopped it. I'm assuming he wasn't charging her much at all by the reaction that I got.

She told me to have a good day. It's like people have no clue what work is, and how much is involved. They want something for nothing.

end rant

mississippiturf
09-18-2008, 07:35 PM
We, unfortunately, live in a world full of folks who are looking for something for nothing.

delphied
09-18-2008, 07:46 PM
She told me to have a good day. It's like people have no clue what work is, and how much is involved. They want something for nothing.

end rant

The trouble is there are alot of suckers out there giving something for nothing.

Icepuck72
09-18-2008, 07:49 PM
The trouble is there are alot of suckers out there giving something for nothing.

Yeah, but that can't go on for long. Either they get wore out or they just end up quitting. Then we get a hold of them and get the reaction that I got today.
I refuse to undercut.

David Gretzmier
09-18-2008, 07:59 PM
I started out as one of those suckers. I push mowed yards back in 1982 and made about 15-20 bucks an hour. That was awesome money for a 13 year old when you already paid for your 100 buck push mower and 69 buck electric weedeater and 2 100 ft cords. I spent maybe 50 cents per hour in fuel.

today most kids are getting 20-25 bucks per hour. same push mowers, gas weedeaters and blowers now.

My guess is he was mowing for 3-4 hours and charging her 60-75 bucks. he was probably spending 5-10 bucks for gas. After gas, he is probably clearing 15-17 bucks per hour, about double or triple what he'd make at Mcdonalds or Burger King, and most likely many more dollars per hour than he'd make working for a lawn care company as a weedeater guy

Although, obviously, whatever he was making, that is not enough money to keep him doing it. otherwise he would be mowing it after school or on Saturday.

I consider the kids that stick with mowing the business leaders of tomorrow. They understand the value of a buck. Don't knock them too hard, They are working instead of playing wii.

delphied
09-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Im not knocking kids mowing. Im knocking people who think a commercial operator should match the kids prices. Usually people realize alot of kids wont last the summer anyway.

BarrFarms
09-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Easy there, there are a few high school kids that are insured and pay taxes on their income. There arent many though.