PDA

View Full Version : Where's the engine?

ccstrebe
09-18-2008, 10:10 PM
If you were a mechanic which machine would you want to work on.

Couldn't stay away, had to take a few pictures,

ccstrebe
09-18-2008, 10:13 PM
There she is in all her glory, less the bucket and glass door.

ccstrebe
09-18-2008, 10:15 PM
This one is for Yellowdog

Junior M
09-18-2008, 10:16 PM
I cant keep up with cat's model numbers, but I thought you bought a cat CTL, well now I know..

Whats the interior look like?

ccstrebe
09-18-2008, 10:18 PM
This was sitting near by. The mechanic said it works. Early 1920's

ccstrebe
09-18-2008, 10:24 PM
The mechanic slipped me a Cat key and let me take it for a spin. I just got done running the 450 a little earlier, the MTL is so smooth compared to a CTL. The H-control works great, the demo I tried didn't have H-control and I was a squirrel with it.

ksss
09-18-2008, 10:28 PM

The cab on the CASE rolls forward exposing the entire bathtub. Offering excellent access to the inside of the machine. I wish you'd drop the CASE off so we can be spared these oneside pics and your narrative which always seems to be totally lacking the entire story. I feel like I am watching CNN. I strongly suggest that any issues you have with this machine, that you keep them to yourself. I will remind of them at every opportunity.:waving:

ccstrebe
09-18-2008, 10:35 PM
The cab on the CASE rolls forward exposing the entire bathtub. Offering excellent access to the inside of the machine. I wish you'd drop the CASE off so we can be spared these oneside pics and your narrative which always seems to be totally lacking the entire story. I feel like I am watching CNN. I strongly suggest that any issues you have with this machine, that you keep them to yourself. I will remind of them at every opportunity.:waving:

Oh my gosh, I knew you would like that jab, but I didn't think you would respond that fast. I couldn't stop laughing as I was reading your response. I had to read it twice because I was laughing so much.

stuvecorp
09-18-2008, 11:17 PM

Um, on a Case you don't ever need to work on it just bring it back five years later and get another. Rise and repeat.

Sorrrry, had to get my kick in too.

ccstrebe
09-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Um, on a Case you don't ever need to work on it just bring it back five years later and get another. Rise and repeat.

Sorrrry, had to get my kick in too.

In that case (pun intended) isn't it about time you replaced that 5+ year old XT.

stuvecorp
09-18-2008, 11:30 PM
In that case (pun intended) isn't it about time you replaced that 5+ year old XT.

Yup, next spring if things go right.

ccstrebe
09-18-2008, 11:43 PM

I can raise the cab on the Cat too.

The point is you don't have to raise the Cat cab to get to the engine. The Cat with just the back door open has a greater access to the engine than the Case with a raised cab and you would still have to remove the hydro cooler and the radiator to come even close to have the same access from the back.

Another note on raising the Case cab, if the arms are in the raised position, you don't have anything to stand on and bear against to pull it up and over so it becomes a two man proposition.

As far as keeping my one sided comments to myself.................. yours are just as one sided. You don't see me telling you to keep your comments to yourself.

ccstrebe
09-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Yup, next spring if things go right.

Tracks or wheels?

ksss
09-19-2008, 12:28 AM
I can raise the cab on the Cat too.

The point is you don't have to raise the Cat cab to get to the engine. The Cat with just the back door open has a greater access to the engine than the Case with a raised cab and you would still have to remove the hydro cooler and the radiator to come even close to have the same access from the back.

Another note on raising the Case cab, if the arms are in the raised position, you don't have anything to stand on and bear against to pull it up and over so it becomes a two man proposition.

As far as keeping my one sided comments to myself.................. yours are just as one sided. You don't see me telling you to keep your comments to yourself.

Well you don't have to keep your comments to yourself, please feel free to to tell us everything. Just don't leave anything out like a dusty I mean air tight cab, shitty AC system. E/H with a mind of its own, you get the picture. Raising the cab is not a two man job, unless you have a skirt on. If the loader arms are up, put your feet on the cab step and pull back (after releasing the cab locks). The daily service requirments are easily accessable. Beyond that you lift the cab. Takes a minute tops and then you have unrestricted access.

Buying your machine has been tempting. We'll see what CAT prices it at. I know what they are into it for.

ccstrebe
09-19-2008, 12:58 AM
Just don't leave anything out like a dusty I mean air tight cab, shitty AC system. E/H with a mind of its own, you get the picture. Raising the cab is not a two man job, unless you have a skirt on. If the loader arms are up, put your feet on the cab step and pull back (after releasing the cab locks).

Buying your machine has been tempting. We'll see what CAT prices it at. I know what they are into it for.

I wont leave anything out. In fact I noticed when I played with it a little today that the bottom of that flimsy poly door would momentarily pull away from the frame if things got a little rough. But I attribute that to a flimsy poly door and I doubt that the stiffer glass door will do that.

Maybe you havn't lifted a cab with an AC unit on it because with the arms up the cab step does not give enough leverage for one man to pull the extra weight of the ac. With the arms down you can put a boot on the arm and get good leverage. I have always thought that it needed stiffer strut shocks to help with the extra weight of the ac. Without the ac it would be a breeze to pull over.

ksss
09-19-2008, 01:06 AM
I wont leave anything out. In fact I noticed when I played with it a little today that the bottom of that flimsy poly door would momentarily pull away from the frame if things got a little rough. But I attribute that to a flimsy poly door and I doubt that the stiffer glass door will do that.

Maybe you havn't lifted a cab with an AC unit on it because with the arms up the cab step does not give enough leverage for one man to pull the extra weight of the ac. With the arms down you can put a boot on the arm and get good leverage. I have always thought that it needed stiffer strut shocks to help with the extra weight of the ac. Without the ac it would be a breeze to pull over.

My 465 has AC.

ccstrebe
09-19-2008, 01:11 AM
My 465 has AC.

Maybe I need a smaller skirt because I cannot get that cab over by myself when the arms are up.

E.B
09-19-2008, 06:04 PM
We have a 440 with A/C and it's no problem getting the cab up!!!! we had a 465 too-- it was no problem either!!! As far as workin on a cat or case i'd rather work on the case,, cause it's worth working on!!!:weightlifter: You'll find the cat way more computerized, which= more problems...

Ausman
09-19-2008, 07:13 PM
I now see what the customer i had the other day was ranting about!, that thing has a hyd driven fan on the overhead cooler. His got a hyd fitting leak and burned up like toast and cat said bad luck talk to insurance.

Gravel Rat
09-19-2008, 07:42 PM
I really don't think it matters what brand of skid your buying they are all tough to work on. It just Cat uses cheap steel made from recycled Toyota and Honda cars. The parts are held together with elmers glue and chewing gum.

KPS
09-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Sorry Gravel Rat but we are extremely pleased with the fit, finish, strength and durability of our Cat MTL. Glue and Bubble Gum? Not on ours, the acess to our engine bay is equally as good on our 257B2 and does not require lifting the cab, even if that only takes a minute, thats just wasted time and old school machine engineering.

Gravel Rat
09-19-2008, 09:04 PM
I'am just giving you Cat freaks the gears :laugh:

We all know that Bobcat makes the best skid steer isn't it why BCRon has become the new Bobcat representive for the province :hammerhead:

Junior M
09-19-2008, 09:11 PM
We all know that Bobcat makes the best skid steer:

did he just say that?:confused: I think he did!!! :clapping::laugh: I am with you GR!!

P.S. You didnt say something that was all doom and gloom like usual!!:clapping::drinkup::cool2:

CAT powered
09-19-2008, 09:30 PM
As usual GR is making entirely untrue statements. haha

stuvecorp
09-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Tracks or wheels?

Will get a wheeled unit and put on my VTS. I am not huge but have had no problems with the 440 or the 70XT as far lifting the cab.

bobcat_ron
09-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Oh yeah???

Cat versus Bobcat's "jungle"

Bobcat:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures217.jpg

Cat:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures416.jpg

Look at this massive oil tank!!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures426.jpg

Junior M
09-19-2008, 09:53 PM
As usual GR is making entirely untrue statements. haha
crap your right:cry:

I thought I was getting some support for once.... I guess not.. dangit!!

Scag48
09-19-2008, 11:34 PM
From now on I think Bobcat should install an MP3 player and small speaker under the cab of their skids that is attached to a sensor. That way when you open up the cab you'll be welcomed by the sound of Guns 'N Roses blasting "Welcome to the Jungle". It may put you in a better mood, if only for a second, just before you have jump into that crap.

Junior M
09-19-2008, 11:38 PM
:clapping:From now on I think Bobcat should install an MP3 player and small speaker under the cab of their skids that is attached to a sensor. That way when you open up the cab you'll be welcomed by the sound of Guns 'N Roses blasting "Welcome to the Jungle". It may put you in a better mood, if only for a second, just before you have jump into that crap.

:cool2::laugh::clapping::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gravel Rat
09-19-2008, 11:38 PM
I wouldn't buy a bobcrap skid steer either or any bobcrap equipment.

YellowDogSVC
09-20-2008, 10:45 AM

That could be just the beginning of the vibration that will let dust settle into your cab and cake you evaporator. Make them set off a smoke bomb in your cab and see where the leaks are before you take it to the track. Some machines are sent out that do not seal well and CAT has a snorkel kit available for A/C that might help you in your application should the fine dust at the track give you problems. If you aren't used to it, the moonroof will let a lot of sun in and on a hot day the AC can be marginal because of all the glass. I'd cover part of the roof glass and tint the rear window.

ccstrebe
09-20-2008, 11:14 AM
If you aren't used to it, the moonroof will let a lot of sun in and on a hot day the AC can be marginal because of all the glass. I'd cover part of the roof glass and tint the rear window.

A couple of good ideas. Once I get the machine, Iv'e got a few things I want to do to it before starting to use it and tinting the glass sounds like a great idea.

They got the glass door on yesterday and it is alot stiffer than the poly door, I think I'll be fine now as far as the door dept. goes.

Nelson M Martin
09-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Oh yeah???

Cat versus Bobcat's "jungle"

Just curious BC Ron.. in the pictures i noticed you had the broomstick controls on the Bobcat and i see that you now have the joysticks in the CAT.
If you would be asked the question "which do you like better?"
for machine control and operator comfort level
What answer would you have. I know that most people that use the broomstick/foot controls simply do not enjoy the joystick controls the first few days of operation

Junior M
09-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Just curious BC Ron.. in the pictures i noticed you had the broomstick controls on the Bobcat and i see that you now have the joysticks in the CAT.
What answer would you have. I know that most people that use the broomstick/foot controls simply do not enjoy the joystick controls the first few days of operation
To answer your question Ron has said in previous threads he likes the joysticks more...
I hated the joysticks the first time I got in a machine with them, But once I was in it for a long period on a job I had a regular bobcat on I loved them, It was alot easier for me to grade with them when making small adjustments and it seemed I could see the cutting edge alot better with joysticks..

bobcat_ron
09-20-2008, 03:39 PM

Pilot controls all the way, unless there was a particular job where I need better control of my counter rotation when handling objects on forks, but I got the sweet spots in the pilot controls down to the wire, and I can feel when one track doesn't spin when it's greasy.
The farmers here that use Deere's are starting to get pissed at their broom sticks, they notice (going from Deere to Bobcat to Cat) that the handles actually need to pulled back to avoid stalling, one farmer is actually on the verge of selling his 328 because of this and going to a pilot Deere now, so no broom stick controls is perfect it seems after people try the pilot controls.

Up until December of 2007, I suffered from hand numbness or finger numbness caused by pinched blood vessels, that medical condition has completely disappeared now.

Nelson M Martin
09-20-2008, 04:34 PM
Pilot controls all the way,

Up until December of 2007, I suffered from hand numbness or finger numbness caused by pinched blood vessels, that medical condition has completely disappeared now.

not that i want to start any fight here!
But you are confirming my thoughts about controling the machine. I have to admit that there are good hand/foot operators out there on skid steers.but for fine movments or precise movements then joystick is hard to beat at the end of a 10 hr shift:laugh:

Junior M
09-20-2008, 06:37 PM
not that i want to start any fight here!
But you are confirming my thoughts about controling the machine. I have to admit that there are good hand/foot operators out there on skid steers.but for fine movments or precise movements then joystick is hard to beat at the end of a 10 hr shift:laugh:
I agree totally with you, My dad is a great hand and foot operator and he absolutley hated the joysticks and finally just got off because he couldnt do anything with them.. I on the other hand love them

It was funny to watch him though he would be watching the edge of the bucket and when he started going to deep or to high the would try to move his feet, which would do nothing and he would start muttering "damn thing, I want my bobcat back,"

CarterKraft
09-20-2008, 07:57 PM
As much as I want toi enter the bashing gauntlet I won't... for now.

The only machines I have worked on are CAT and Bobcat.

I much preffer the CAT over the Bobcat anyday, sideways engines are not for me.

As for the Case machines I worked on one once back at the Rental store and I couldn't remeber what I was doing to it but I really liked the forward tilting cab even though the engine access was still terrible.

If I could build my skidsteer there wouldn't be any of these problems, you guys couldn't afford it either though.

Junior M
09-20-2008, 08:52 PM
That would be awesome to build your own skid and have everything just the way you want it there would be no compromising

bobcat_ron
09-20-2008, 09:20 PM
That would be awesome to build your own skid and have everything just the way you want it there would be no compromising

Funny, that's how Cat addressed their concept back in 1996.

Junior M
09-20-2008, 09:56 PM
Funny, that's how Cat addressed their concept back in 1996.
when did cat start making skids? I cant remember...

bobcat_ron
09-20-2008, 10:47 PM
when did cat start making skids? I cant remember...

1998 was when they hit here, our local rep was asking us what we wanted to see in a skid steer in 1996 already, so they were already building as early as 1995 possibly.