PDA

View Full Version : Stake installation tool

Chris J
09-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Some of you may have seen the new stake "hole maker" from kichler. I'm wondering if any of you have used this, and what is your opinion? I made my own version of this yesterday, and used it on the job today. I absolutely love it! It makes mounting fixtures so fast that it's almost ridiculous! You can simply mount the fixtures to the stakes before hand, plunge your hole maker in the ground and then set the fixture. I'm going to make one for the smaller stake manus like Unique in the next couple of days. If anyone is interested in getting one, let me know.

bmwsmity
09-18-2008, 09:21 PM
wonder how it will work on the hard clay we have here, unlike your nice soft soil there chris???

i haven't seen this yet... where did you find it??

Chris J
09-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Correction, I do know what their's cost, and I can beat that badly.

TXNSLighting
09-18-2008, 10:23 PM
Do you have a link?

Chris J
09-18-2008, 10:29 PM
I already posted it, but the link was deleted. FOLD (Florida Outdoor Lighting dot com) has the info and pic. If you want the updated version, contact me directly via email. I can't really explain what's different about mine right now because it's still in the development and patent process. When everything is finalized, I'll give all the info. We made some significant changes to what would seem to be a simple tool. However, if you like this tool, you will love what mine will do for you. More to come shortly.

TXNSLighting
09-18-2008, 11:04 PM
Ill go gander, thanks.

TXNSLighting
09-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Man thats way more expensive then i woulda thought...

irrig8r
09-19-2008, 01:07 AM
So far (at FOLD) I've found an RSL Stake Hammer and the Kichler Premium Stake Installation Tool... which is better in clay soils?

Mike M
09-19-2008, 05:44 PM
I dig a hole for my slack lead wire, and while I'm standing there, I also use my shovel to pop the ground for my stake, and then the stake goes in easily.

irrig8r
09-19-2008, 06:29 PM
I have used a small auger bit in dry clay that fits a 1/2" drill chuck. The first one I got cheap at the hardware store, called a Daffodrill (intended for bulb planting holes)

Tanaka and Echo make 3" versions.

I found this on Amazon which looks sturdier too. Just go to Amazon and search "Garden-Auger-Planter-Earth"

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41QvnnVb8-L._AA280_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41TdeDkECsL._SS400_.jpg

David Gretzmier
09-19-2008, 07:19 PM
I went to fold, clicked on installation tools, and they needed me to log in, and I don't have a log in or password. so I have no idea what you are making, an auger type digger?, a 1" tent stake type punch?

Mike M
09-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Hey Gregg;

What do you use to install well lights?

Mark B
09-19-2008, 08:32 PM
I found the same thing David found. Can you post a pic?

S&MLL
09-19-2008, 08:37 PM
I use a post hole digger for wells. Is there any other way? I cant imagine bring out a one man auger for a well light. With a post hole digger it only take 2 minutes anyway.

irrig8r
09-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Hey Gregg;

What do you use to install well lights?

Easy: Post hole digger.

But I don't use as many well lights as bullet style.

If I happen to be using my Bosch demo hammer on the job anyway, I'll start the hole with that, then just clean it out with the post hole digger.

Mark B
09-19-2008, 10:33 PM
I use one of those small maticks (sp). That thing is the trick to covering wire up. My redneck.02

Mike M
09-20-2008, 11:36 AM
I guess I'm just old, but I use a long handled shovel for everything. That way I can use my legs to dig and not my arms and back.

JoeyD
09-21-2008, 10:57 PM
I guess I'm just old, but I use a long handled shovel for everything. That way I can use my legs to dig and not my arms and back.

post hole digger for your wells is much better and easier....Auger bit works well for stakes, but I would love to see chris's version of a stake hammer. We need something for our Zero G Docking Post (perma Post)