PDA

View Full Version : credit a account if no mowing is done due to weather

Cj's lawnservice
09-18-2008, 10:48 PM
I have been mowing for 8 yrs now and seems like the 09 season has been the worst due to the economy and everyone trying to save a penny or two. Does anyone credit a account if they do not mow due to weather. Ex. it rains for 3 days or 4 and is extremely wet for 2 days. i have had several customers requesting a credit. Does anyone have a stipulation in there contract due to weather conditions they can't get a refund??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

traman
09-18-2008, 11:00 PM
do you charge by the cut or monthly?if its by the month do they pay you anymore on those months that have 5 cuts ??just tell them it all evens out through the course of the year.

sandman23
09-18-2008, 11:00 PM
It states in my "Terms" that we will not issue credits for missed service due to weather or homeowner scheduling conflicts (i.e. fert guys, tree guys, etc.). Depending on my mood and how much the account means to me, I may offer a credit. I really stress the fact that I provide a annual service with an annual price. My job is to take care of the property and keep it looking good. If they want to haggle over a missed service due to a weeks worth of rain, I probably don't want them as a customer anyway.

Green Pastures
09-18-2008, 11:01 PM
I tell my customers I bill for an average number of cuts for the area.

I've been in busisness for going on ten years now, and keep a tally of cuts per yard per season. I will ammend my contracts after the first year or so if need be.

In my experience a fescue lawn with irrigation will need an average of 42 cuts per season.

We do not give refunds for less cuts because we do not charge more for more cuts. It will balance out in the end. That's the beauty of a contract.

carcrz
09-18-2008, 11:03 PM
nope. Does the grass slow down between this time & the next? Next time it will take you twice as long. Are they willing to pay more for the next mow? Doubt it.

Cj's lawnservice
09-18-2008, 11:08 PM
traman,

Thank you for reading and your question. I bill monthly and my contract does not say I will give any credits however I have been only to the ones that asked but I wanted to see what others thought and how they did it.

Also thanks to everyone else:usflag:

brucec32
09-21-2008, 01:01 AM
Human nature being what it is, you will likely cause trouble if you start skipping cuts and charging for it due to rain. I think one who wishes to give reliable service should allot some time as "makeup time" each week anyway so that skipping cuts completely is rare. Work later on dry days, hustle it up, etc, and you can cover most of them in all but the most extreme weather situations. You can also "credit" the account with the understanding that they may get an extra cut during the times of rapid growth.

If you're operating at 100% capacity all the time so that you have to skip numerous lawns if you get a day or two of rain, and expecting to collect for mows you didnt' do, you're going to have higher turnover.

Drought is more open to negotiation, but be sure you are clear up front about your policy on this. After they request you skip a cut is NOT the time to discuss it.

If you want to avoid the per cut thing charge by the month, just again be prepared for some annoyed customers if you routinely skip them and expect the full payment.

deereequipment
09-22-2008, 09:50 PM
what I would say, if it happened to me:
Your price is based on "x" amount of time to mow your lawn under normal conditions.
If I can't mow your lawn due to the weather, and we have to wait until the following week, the price will be for 2 mowings, since it will take twice as long to mow.
You can't help that the weather prevented you from mowing since it mowed for so long, and you can't help that when the lawn is finally able to be mowed, that it will take you alot longer to mow and tidy up that lawn.