PDA

View Full Version : So I am a copy cat...

J. Peterson Grading
09-18-2008, 11:22 PM
So since Ron went out and had a spill gaurd made for his bucket, I jumped on the bad wagon and did one of mine to.

New Bradco 78" (Came with my PT80) dirt or extreme bucket with teeth, soon to have the side cutters installed

Wow!!!!! What a difference it makes. No more Clay slabs in the cab. no more digging out dry pack clay and dirt out of my bucket pivots. It does let a bit go over the top, but not much.

Over all quite impressive.

J.

Junior M
09-18-2008, 11:26 PM
so how is the visibility? better or worse than ron's?

Gravel Rat
09-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Doesn't that have a DeJong patent on it :laugh:

J. Peterson Grading
09-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Visibility is great

This bucket is only about 2/3s the length of a normal bucket. So it worked out well.

J.

P.Services
09-18-2008, 11:32 PM
i wouldlnt have angled it so far forward.

spill gaurds haaaa just put a wheel loader bucket on it like i did ladies.

wanabe
09-19-2008, 12:08 AM
Almost reminds me of the spill gard on scraper pans!

RockSet N' Grade
09-19-2008, 08:00 PM
JPeterson......shoot some close ups of that little rascal and post them if you would please.

J. Peterson Grading
09-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Ok. I'll Get some tommorrow, making the guys work. lol

bobcat_ron
09-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Nice job, but I would have put in on the back like mine, you gain more capacity.

J. Peterson Grading
09-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Yes, But I still have a place to step when I get in the machine. And With the angle on mine I can fully dump the bucket to shake off any crap that goes over the top of the gaurd.

And its mine and I like it, so there.

J.

bobcat_ron
09-19-2008, 10:00 PM
i wouldlnt have angled it so far forward.

spill gaurds haaaa just put a wheel loader bucket on it like i did ladies.

Haaaaaaa, you can't see the cutting edge, haaaaaa, you'll hit something and shear it clean off before even feeling it with that damn big bucket!

P.Services
09-19-2008, 10:15 PM
thats ok, its for moving dirt not for groping around in the ground looking for objects like im Helen Keller.

AMCAT
09-19-2008, 10:21 PM
BCRon would you mind posting couple shots of your spill guard ??????
Also on my bucket we added steps on the side for easier climbing in & out of the machine

bobcat_ron
09-20-2008, 03:45 PM
BCRon would you mind posting couple shots of your spill guard ??????
Also on my bucket we added steps on the side for easier climbing in & out of the machine

Like these?
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa284/philly_hill_billy/Pictures1035.jpg
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa284/philly_hill_billy/Pictures1042.jpg
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa284/philly_hill_billy/Pictures1046.jpg

This pic was taken at my exact eye level, I can still see the cutting edge:
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa284/philly_hill_billy/Pictures1043.jpg

I didn't want the side steps, they hold mud and rocks kicked back from the tracks while in reverse.

AMCAT
09-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Looks good RON i myself would not want to be without a spill guard anymore no matter what others have to say !!!!!!!!
Did you notice that there is not near as much crap comin over top of the bucket into your pivots & quicktach cylinders ??
Also does that screen of yours not plug up on ya some days when you get into sticky stuff ???

bobcat_ron
09-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Looks good RON i myself would not want to be without a spill guard anymore no matter what others have to say !!!!!!!!
Did you notice that there is not near as much crap comin over top of the bucket into your pivots & quicktach cylinders ??
Also does that screen of yours not plug up on ya some days when you get into sticky stuff ???

I do get some dirt, but only real fine stuff that gets through the screen and eventually plugs behind the tilt pins, but only after a full day's work, it used to be just 10 minutes and I was digging with a crow bar.
It hasn't plugged up yet, these Cat's are real nice, there is a positive metal to metal contact when the bucket is rolled up and down to "slam" out the bucket, Bobcat depends on the cushions in their cylinders for fast clean out.

J. Peterson Grading
09-20-2008, 11:26 PM
Upclose pics of mine

J

stuvecorp
09-20-2008, 11:32 PM
J, how are things going down there?

J. Peterson Grading
09-21-2008, 12:01 AM
Lol. I am busier than I have ever been. I have one guy drilling 4000 holes for replacement spirea bushes. I have my labor crew laying sod, only 5 more yards to go, this week. I am running all over, trying to pic up as much slack as I can. I graded out 2 yards today, in 2 different towns. We should sod them (If mother nature doesn't crap on us again) This week however we should get back to a more normal pace, and income level.

Plus, We are bidding snow accounts, and I am getting some larger city repair projects.

My new excavator got delivered last monday, I have only ran it for about 3 hours. But I think we might be able to use it late this week on a couple things.

Thanks for asking.

J.

Junior M
09-21-2008, 12:06 AM
What kind of excavator did you get? We need some pics!

stuvecorp
09-21-2008, 12:08 AM
My new excavator got delivered last monday, I have only ran it for about 3 hours.

What did I miss here? What type of X? Good to hear that you doing okay.

J. Peterson Grading
09-21-2008, 12:34 AM
Well, I kinda didn't want to talk about it all that much.

I got a new Volvo ECR88. I am planning on making the purchase on an 8 ton machine. So untill then I am renting this one with the option to buy it. Our local Volvo dealer has a rent one month get a month rent free on all compact equipment (Only reason I have had a volvo Skid loader for this long) (POS)

I am not overly happy about the 88 due to the dealer not getting the buckets I want for it as of yet. Its got a 24" on it, and I want a 36" and a 60" ditch/clean up bucket. Both haven't shown up yet. I hate digging with a small bucket. abosolutly hate it!! I had to clean out a basement that I dug over a year ago (Long story). It took 3 hours to do it. If I had a bigger bucket it would have gone way faster. I only complain about it because I have better stuff to do.

Anyway. I plan on using the 88 to mostly to do tight area heavy grading and possibly digging small spec home basements. But I nned to get a bigger dumptruck and heavier trailer bought move it around.

but I think I might see it tommorrow, so I will put up a pic of it.

J.

bobcat_ron
09-21-2008, 01:02 PM
You might be disappointed with the ECR88 once you really start moving mor soil with the larger buckets, they aren't the best, much like the skid steers, they are balanced very poorly, the EC55 is still the best compact excavator that Volvo makes, all the rest are kinda sucky.

ksss
09-21-2008, 01:09 PM
You might be disappointed with the ECR88 once you really start moving mor soil with the larger buckets, they aren't the best, much like the skid steers, they are balanced very poorly, the EC55 is still the best compact excavator that Volvo makes, all the rest are kinda sucky.

There are two 58's here and the owners of each are not real happy. Not enough lift power, not very strong digging machines, basically just weak machines. They are cheap to buy however. I have never run one personally.

bobcat_ron
09-21-2008, 01:14 PM
But one thing everyone rants and raves about on the Volvo skids and excavators, they all love the pilot controls, even I miss the EW180B and 290 I ran, those pilots were so smooth and responsive!

J. Peterson Grading
09-21-2008, 05:35 PM
I Can tell you from experience, VOLVO SKIDSTEERS SUCK BIG TIME!!!!!!!! Nothing at all good about the pilot controls on them. way to clumsy and un-responcive.

I rented a Volvo ecr38 last year for a couple of month and loved it. Its the only reason I even thought about looking at the 88. But, with rental being half price for 2 months I can afford to experiment with it, to see if its realy what I want in a machine. I do have a Cat dealer that wants to be freinds now that they see how much iron I have in my fleet. and only one cat item. (Pick-up broom)

More than likely I am going to buy a used machine. Something itn the 30 to 40000 range. Right now I just can't se spending between $80 to $110000 on a machine that might or might not make me some money. So with the rental machine. We are going to find out how "In demand" amy services are going to be.

J.

J. Peterson Grading
09-21-2008, 09:44 PM
So here are the pics of the ECR88

J.

stuvecorp
09-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Kinda looks like a monster.

J. Peterson Grading
09-21-2008, 09:52 PM
More like gentle giant

J.

P.Services
09-21-2008, 09:52 PM
looks like a very nice machine but its on performance not looks.

bobcat_ron
09-21-2008, 09:59 PM
If they moved the engine to the rear, it would be a very stable beast, I do like their cabs on the bigger platform machines, but the ECR38 was just way too small.

stuvecorp
09-21-2008, 10:05 PM
I have wondered how the big Yanmar, was it 75 or 100 would perform? It looks mean.

P.Services
09-21-2008, 10:08 PM
I have wondered how the big Yanmar, was it 75 or 100 would perform? It looks mean.

i agree, a excavating company working in town has a 100 with a tilting ditch bucket and it looks like a very productive machine.

i see deere has added a new size to the line up, 60d

J. Peterson Grading
09-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Its quite stable, But I have only ran it for about 3 hours. Its the power problem that bothers me. It will grunt and growl when you curl under load, That concerns me when its doing that with a 24" bucket.

I am going to do some heavy flat work later this week, so we'll se how it handles that type of work.

J.

ksss
09-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Its quite stable, But I have only ran it for about 3 hours. Its the power problem that bothers me. It will grunt and growl when you curl under load, That concerns me when its doing that with a 24" bucket.

I am going to do some heavy flat work later this week, so we'll se how it handles that type of work.

J.

Sounds like your intuition is in line with current owners experience. I would see if you can find a used TK 153. Really a productive excavator.

J. Peterson Grading
09-21-2008, 11:02 PM
The problem with a TK153, is that I hate my sales person and I will not buy any product from him ever.

I am however, going to try out any machine I can get a demo on. All the while using this 88. I can rent it cheeper than a payment will cost.

J.

ksss
09-21-2008, 11:52 PM
The problem with a TK153, is that I hate my sales person and I will not buy any product from him ever.

I am however, going to try out any machine I can get a demo on. All the while using this 88. I can rent it cheeper than a payment will cost.

J.

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=6491278&GUID=4CD90276EDF440B58CA7440F83F286DF

heres a private machine.

J. Peterson Grading
09-22-2008, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the help there. But I am not buying anything untill spring. I can't justify another large purchase going into winter. So I will keep the 88 since I feel the price is right, and re-acess the purchase after we get done plowing.

And, I have a buddy thats got a yanmar 100. his guys realy like it. I have looked at it, and just don't like the comfort of the cab. Plus Yanmar is offering 0 payments for 6 months and pick your financing after that.

J

stuvecorp
09-22-2008, 12:39 AM
Sometimes renting really is the best option. It is more fun to buy but you gotta be smart.

02DURAMAX
09-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Looks good!!!..But I like how ron's is.

J. Peterson Grading
09-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Well doesnt' everybody?

bobcat_ron
09-23-2008, 11:13 PM
Everybody loves me! http://deephousepage.com/smilies/grouphug.gif

J. Peterson Grading
09-24-2008, 12:12 AM
Maybe i should just quit it all and start your fan club. lol

J

Scag48
09-24-2008, 12:43 AM
Don't know what it is about Volvo's mini lineup, they just don't seem to be real winners. Bummer because I hear great things about Volvo hoes 15 ton and larger. A guy I work with ran a 360 I think he said it was a couple years ago, it was a demo they had brought out, he said it was hands down one of the best hoes he's ever run. I'm not sure how that attitude doesn't make it into the minis.

bobcat_ron
09-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Don't know what it is about Volvo's mini lineup, they just don't seem to be real winners. Bummer because I hear great things about Volvo hoes 15 ton and larger. A guy I work with ran a 360 I think he said it was a couple years ago, it was a demo they had brought out, he said it was hands down one of the best hoes he's ever run. I'm not sure how that attitude doesn't make it into the minis.

It's the same story with Hitachi, no one really cares for their mini's from under 9 tons, sure they are built good, but there are some issues, but everyone raves about the 12 ton and up size machines.
It seems most manufacturers just don't have the space and money in their machines to make the needed changes to follow the mini market like Takeuchi, Komatsu and Cat.

BOBCATZZ
09-25-2008, 08:31 AM
Thats because the EC55 is still the same SE50 samsung machine not like the rest of the euro crap the 55 and 12 ton up are all samsungs (korean)

bobcat_ron
09-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Thats because the EC55 is still the same SE50 samsung machine not like the rest of the euro crap the 55 and 12 ton up are all samsungs (korean)

That makes sense.