PDA

View Full Version : Ryan vs Snapper Power Plugr

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-18-2008, 11:34 PM
I have the opportunity to aerate with either of these machines (model unknown for the Ryan, Snapper is an older machine) - they will be rented. I will be aerating mostly clay soils, not hard-as-a-rock dry but fairly dry dirt due to lack of recent significant rainfall (mostly small rains).

Which machine would work better for me given my scenario? I am strongly thinking the Ryan but the Snapper is about 10 miles closer to me to rent so if anyone likes that machine they may talk me into it.

turfcobob
09-19-2008, 10:58 AM
If it is dry they will both beat you to H@#$%^. If you are young and tough you will not be when you are done. The snapper is the old Kees aerator and is a piston type unit that is supposed to drive it along. If it is day it will not penetrate good but will go like well, let's say it will jerk your arms out. I would guess the Ryan is a rolling model as I cannot imagine anyone silly enough to rent a LA28 or Greensaire. The rolling ryans need damp soil to work also or they will not go in the ground. Do this if you cannot push a large screwdriver in the ground you cannot aerate it.