PDA

View Full Version : Bahia, what's up with that grass!

Richard Martin
09-19-2008, 08:01 AM
If you've been around for a while you've noticed that some of us guys from the South talk about Bahia and the way it grows. This really is an incredible grower. This pic is one week's growth. This pic is looking from the front yard into the back. The short grass in front is Centipede. The builders sodded the front yards of these houses with Centipede and seeded the back with Bahia. This pic was taken on September 9, 2008.

This will give you a really good idea of how this grass grows. Sorry for the slightly fuzzy pic. The auto focus looked at the closest object (the Centipede) and focused in on that.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/bahia.jpg

Razorblades
09-19-2008, 08:13 AM
NICE! It looks like the grass blades are pretty thick and high, along with the stems being so tall. That might take awhile to mulch, huh? Did it take you alot longer than normal to do this one? Razorblades.

Richard Martin
09-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Uh... You ain't mulching this. This is the way it looks all of the time, every time. I go over it twice (side discharge) and then blow off the excess.

tamadrummer
09-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Happy spreading.....

That is what we just got done with. We haven't had any rain in 4+ weeks and our Bahia has basically turned off. Just a bit of seed head production. Otherwise it is really slow right now.

Summertime sometimes takes 3 or more passes to spread out the clippings enough to make it look decent.

railman
09-19-2008, 08:44 AM
I have a yard that is 1.5 acres that looks like that after a week. I also side discharge that yard with the chute up to spread the clippings a little better than with the chute down. what I like about those kind of grass is that they grow faster than centipede therefore more money.

mississippiturf
09-19-2008, 09:42 AM
I have come to hate that crap!! Its like the stems are made of kevlar! I had to remove my mulch kit out on the job and still had to double cut on a three acre commercial.

jwynncmi
09-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Bahaia requires sharp blades and a high blade speed to cut, even then double cutting is usualy necessary.

topsites
09-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Yeh, the double cut to me is a standard in my business,
took a while to swallow that one but I always double cut
anymore and it just saves me a slew of headaches.

Now maybe things are different in other parts of the country...
But around here I call that stuff Highway grass :p
Yes, it's a joke, however you want to take that lol

billslawn89
09-19-2008, 03:45 PM
when i cut bahai grass that tall, i usually side discharge and i use a high lift blade at the end for better results, less clumping and i still do double cut to make the property look good. you get some of the seed heads that don't cut completely off and still have the stem sticking up..man i hate that! i have sharp blades and run a little slower and work great!

GriffinLawnService
09-19-2008, 03:53 PM
I cant get that stuff to cut unless I double cut. I really hate it. Oh well it pays. That is the down fall of being in the south i guess

1cooltreeguy
09-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Everywhere here - We hate it - Sharp Blades is the only way to cut it efficiently, even then we hate it.

Mickhippy
09-19-2008, 06:10 PM
Here are before n after pics I took a couple of years ago of a short term job I had (4 cuts I believe). I just had to mow it weekly for a month and I gotta say, Bahia is the biggest PITA when you have this much to cut. The first couple of times I cut it was like in Richards pic, 8 to 12" tall per week.
This was the the biggest area Ive ever cut that was all Bahia at the time. Ive since mowed much larger areas!

Anyway, this is NOT my best work but it was just impossible to get rid of the clippings!
This was cut once then clippings feathered to try and disperse. Man, what a hassle and well, see for yourselves.

Richard Martin
09-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Yeah Mick, that looks familiar. The homeowners here know what they have and I haven't received any complaints. The first Bahia job I got was a 5/8 acre residential. Bahia actually looks a lot like rye grass first thing in the Spring. The homeowner told me she wanted it cut every week and I kinda questioned that since it looked kinda thin and wasn't growing much. I figured a bi-weekly would do it. Boy am I glad she knew what she had and insisted that I cut it weekly. It still isn't often enough.

Mickhippy
09-19-2008, 06:44 PM
Its amazing the way it can lift big piles of clippings off the ground when it grows. Then the get pushed and piled up in front of the deck, then the deck will go over it and almost shut the engine down.:cry:

I dead set hate the stuff.

Heres a park I did (one of a series) that was 90% Bahia. You can see an uncut area in the center. There was a storm while I was mowing and all the run off from the road goes straight there. Going around that area I had the deck set to 5.5" and was still mowing water, and the grass is probably 3 or 4" above that. You can see little piles everywhere. All in all not to bad IMO but still a struggle for my machine!

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread. Just got me remembering who cr@p that stuff is!:drinkup:

IN2MOWN
09-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Whats the proper height to cut that stuff at?

lawnboy dan
09-19-2008, 08:14 PM
as low as possiable!

IN2MOWN
09-19-2008, 08:30 PM
as low as possiable!

And it still grows that fast?

sweetz
09-19-2008, 10:15 PM
And it still grows that fast?

Oh he** yes!!! I HATE that stuff! But, it is in most all of the yards around here. :cry:

IN2MOWN
09-19-2008, 10:22 PM
Oh he** yes!!! I HATE that stuff! But, it is in most all of the yards around here. :cry:

Id move.......

TNT LawnCare Inc.
09-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Ive been seeing this stuff around here a little. They've been putting it along the highways. When there done a job ,ive seen hydro seeders shooting it along the highways on finshed job sites. In 2 weeks its a foot high or more !

STIHL GUY
09-19-2008, 10:59 PM
im glad i dont have to worry about that up here

IN2MOWN
09-19-2008, 11:02 PM
im glad i dont have to worry about that up here

No kidding. 99% of my yards are fescue which might require double cutting in the spring and maybe bagging. The zoysias I have are kept short and nice like golf course greens. If I had to deal with that I would be crazy.

Tim03
09-19-2008, 11:40 PM
If you've been around for a while you've noticed that some of us guys from the South talk about Bahia and the way it grows. This really is an incredible grower. This pic is one week's growth. This pic is looking from the front yard into the back. The short grass in front is Centipede. The builders sodded the front yards of these houses with Centipede and seeded the back with Bahia. This pic was taken on September 9, 2008.

This will give you a really good idea of how this grass grows. Sorry for the slightly fuzzy pic. The auto focus looked at the closest object (the Centipede) and focused in on that.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/bahia.jpg

Sorry if this quick question gets off topic

Why would a builder seed Centipete in front and Bahia in back like that?

PS I am from a cold state, never seen Bahia before.

dura to the max
09-20-2008, 01:45 AM
Sorry if this quick question gets off topic

Why would a builder seed Centipete in front and Bahia in back like that?

PS I am from a cold state, never seen Bahia before.

centipede gives curb appeal, bahaia is cheap. therefore, the builder gets interest from a nice front lawn, and saves a good amount of money over laying centipede sod in the entire lawn. he aint gonna live there, he cares about his bottom line.

LuvMyFerris
01-17-2009, 01:23 AM
I have this too but I have to tell you, the acreage my house was built on was pasture and the owner cut the Bahia as HAY, like he still cuts it all around my house and rolls it in those giant bails, I assume this is the reason anyone with acreage would have this grass in MS anyway? I have to say when its cut good it looks really nice for about 3 days. Very aggressive, very intense green color too in bright daylight, here is mine before I got my ZTR late summer 08 when I was cutting my 1.5 acres with my honda 21hp hydro :usflag:.
http://webpages.charter.net/todbnla/kids%20075.jpg

Florida Gardener
01-17-2009, 01:54 AM
my friend has a POA he does and the areas near the main road are bahaia. we would cut on mon and by thurs it needed it again. the flipside is you can go at least a month in the winter b/t cuts.

i hate bahaia though b/c it never really looks good and is a biatch to cut in the summer.

DLAWNS
01-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I used to cut that stuff when I lived down in Florida. I hated it because it sucked to cut. Always had to at least double cut it!

LuvMyFerris
01-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Anyone ever fertilize this and try to tame it? Or is the kevlar too tough...?

Jay Ray
01-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Anyone ever fertilize this and try to tame it? Or is the kevlar too tough...?

I haven't seen anyone fert it. Over a sewer system drain field it is twice as tough as normal, grows taller with bigger blades and bigger diameter seed stems -- and just normal is way too tough.

Here they are sodding bahia in some subdivisions. People are unhappy after the sale, but nothing they can do -- it's already their bahia, builder if free and clear. Most people just think grass is grass until they try to maintain bahia.

On a previous thread, maybe year ago, someone mentioned that bahia actually takes up very minute particles of silicates (sand) in the roots and circulates it upstairs where we cut it. That's why it is so hard on blades.

LuvMyFerris
01-18-2009, 02:43 AM
Here they are sodding bahia in some subdivisions. That is odd you mention that, because I live in Picayune and just down my street maybe less than a mile is a sod farm, keep in mind, 20 yrs ago this area was all cow pasture land, I can only imagine whats rolling off those trucks. Guess I better stock up on blades now.:weightlifter:

Jay Ray
01-18-2009, 11:42 PM
First time I came across bahia DELIBERATELY sodded I could not believe it. But it is for a fact going into subdivisions. Crazy.

Mickhippy
01-19-2009, 04:59 AM
First time I came across bahia DELIBERATELY sodded I could not believe it. But it is for a fact going into subdivisions. Crazy.
Should say something to the local council about how much more "emissions" are caused by cutting it.

sweetz
01-19-2009, 05:14 AM
Should say something to the local council about how much more "emissions" are caused by cutting it.

Ya, we all should. Don't know if any of them would care, but.....:hammerhead:

Mickhippy
01-19-2009, 07:39 AM
I know, just thinking out loud!

sweetz
01-19-2009, 04:50 PM
I know, just thinking out loud!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::laugh::laugh::rolleyes::rolleyes::laugh::laugh:

mowniacal
07-01-2009, 11:01 PM
I am not a commercial mower but I have acres of this stuff on my own place. It's like everyone says: No way to get it in one pass and it's back within a few days. Sometimes I mow it once with a finishing mower on a tractor and then follow a second time with my 72" ZTR, which has the nimbleness to dart around to wherever I see the stubborn spots.

If it's your own place or you have a willing customer, here's one possible solution: KILL IT!!! It is quite susceptible to glyphosate (Roundup). I discovered this by spraying the base areas of many trees in a pecan orchard here. The bahaia never returned and some other stuff moved in that is easier to mow and doesn't grow as fast. You could spray a large area (fortunately, I have a tractor and a sprayer) and then come back later and reseed. Radical, yes, but effective.

Of course, for you pros, I suppose that more mowing means more moolah so bahaia is also your friend. For me, double cutting means double hours (though I can mow faster on the second pass) ... and it still won't be perfect.

Florida Gardener
07-01-2009, 11:30 PM
yes, more mowing=more moolah, but bahia sucks. if you have a customer on a monthly program,its great. you cut it like 4-5 total all winter. if there are on a per cut, you pretty much make no money in the winter and it sucks cutting this crap in the summer.

retrodog
07-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Hey guys, I have found a way to cut it in one pass. I have recently tried the X-Blades (you have to have a pretty powerful engine). I can now cut full speed in one pass, they are pretty expensive (you don't want to hit crap with them on), but they are saving us a bunch of time. The other trick is to cut very low, and if you have air baffles, open them all the way up for more turbulance under the deck. The x-blades are a life saver on this type of grass.

Wizz
07-02-2009, 01:06 AM
I'm not a comm mower, but same thing here, about 70% of our grass is bahia and I don't care for it when trying to maintain a manicured property...those seed heads come up quick. I overseeded it with some bermuda in late spring and that's making things better...I'd rather have a mix than straight bahia.

MS_SURVEYOR
07-02-2009, 01:13 AM
bahia grass!!!!! :dizzy:

If it weren't for bahia grass I wouldn't have any grass at all. I cut 6 days ago and I'm 3 days too late cutting again. We're in a drought and my bahia grass is taking off. And it's not hit the height of the season yet. Mickhippy explained it best.

Its amazing the way it can lift big piles of clippings off the ground when it grows. Then the get pushed and piled up in front of the deck, then the deck will go over it and almost shut the engine down.

retrodog

Hey guys, I have found a way to cut it in one pass. I have recently tried the X-Blades (you have to have a pretty powerful engine). I can now cut full speed in one pass, they are pretty expensive (you don't want to hit crap with them on), but they are saving us a bunch of time. The other trick is to cut very low, and if you have air baffles, open them all the way up for more turbulance under the deck. The x-blades are a life saver on this type of grass.

do they make X-Blades for a 52 inch 5/8 center hole to fit a Bad Boy Pup? If they did I'd try some. I looked at Dixie Chopper, but couldn't find a 52 inch X-Blade setup.

I've got to get on this bahia grass tomorrow before the mulch piles get too big to cut.

:wall

ms

Linder'sLawnCare
07-02-2009, 02:01 AM
When I have to cut bahia I use the Scag. Does it in one pass. i refuse to double cut.

MS_SURVEYOR
07-02-2009, 02:09 AM
When I have to cut bahia I use the Scag. Does it in one pass. i refuse to double cut.

What Scag are we talking about? What blades are you using? How many rps are you doing? Are you side discharging? With the chute up or down?

Thanks!

ms

Linder'sLawnCare
07-02-2009, 02:19 AM
Scag turf tiger w/ stock blades. rmps are 18500fps i believe. no chute at all. I love my ferris but it is terrible in bahia. I can mow my yard (abt 3 hrs a cutting) atleast 3x w/o changing blades. mostly bahia and mix of centipede and weeds

Linder'sLawnCare
07-02-2009, 02:21 AM
61" w/ old 25hp kohler. Engine might make it through this season over 2000hrs on it now

MS_SURVEYOR
07-02-2009, 09:42 AM
That's great! I'll be chuggin through the bahia today/ Oh JOY!

retrodog
07-02-2009, 10:03 AM
bahia grass!!!!! :dizzy:

If it weren't for bahia grass I wouldn't have any grass at all. I cut 6 days ago and I'm 3 days too late cutting again. We're in a drought and my bahia grass is taking off. And it's not hit the height of the season yet. Mickhippy explained it best.

retrodog

do they make X-Blades for a 52 inch 5/8 center hole to fit a Bad Boy Pup? If they did I'd try some. I looked at Dixie Chopper, but couldn't find a 52 inch X-Blade setup.

I've got to get on this bahia grass tomorrow before the mulch piles get too big to cut.

:wall

ms

I know the 60" and 72" fit perfectly, I am not sure on the 52". I have a 52, but its the 26hp LC, and I don't think I will try running them on it, but I will check with the chopper dealer today, and see what he says. The only problem is the price, at nearly $120 for a set of blades, I pick up every freaking stick in the yard before we go, it cuts my mowing time waaay down, but my pre walks are killing us now, used to we wouldn't worry about the sticks too much.

MSlawnBoy
07-02-2009, 11:36 AM
You can not cut bahia high without leaving stringers. Set the mower down around 2.5 and get after it.

LuvMyFerris
07-02-2009, 02:24 PM
You can not cut bahia high without leaving stringers. Set the mower down around 2.5 and get after it.

Hum, this was cut @ 3" and last cut I went up to 3 1/4", tonite I am going up to 3.5", not sure if yall got rain, but here in S.MS we have not had rain for 5-6weeks straight, have to go higher to avoid gray spots, engine speed max, recycler kit, not changed blades yet since May and cut weekly sometimes on a 5 day schedule....BUT I dont run @ wide open ground speed either, maybe 2/3's max. In some areas of my yard once in a while I get those 6-8" sprigs that take 2-3 hits to get them but thats only in a few places, likely some type of weed grass? I know this is Bahaia, cause this land was pasture and they DO cut hay around my house....daily.
front yard
http://bellsouthpwp2.net/t/o/todbnla/misc%20027.jpg
back yard
http://bellsouthpwp2.net/t/o/todbnla/misc%20037.jpg

lawnguy001
07-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Where is qualitylawncare4you. Danny lives in S. Ga. and he can tell you all the horrors of bahia grass.

Walt

MS_SURVEYOR
07-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Yea! I cut mine high. I'm in Florence Mississippi! You can see where the bahia grass is. The only green parts of the pasture lawn. I caught my wife cutting my mother in laws St. Augustine grass at 1 1/2 last Saturday. Oh Oh! Too late! A brown lawn now. Some have to learn a lesson the hard way. So mama wanted shorter than I cut it!!! Now she'll have dirt!! I made a couple of calls today, and found some Exmark 52 inch high lift blades that could give me a better cut on bahia. My blade is a high lift being 2 inches wide. The Exmark is 2.50 inches wide with a greater air foil. Time will tell.

ms

MS_SURVEYOR
07-02-2009, 06:41 PM
LuvMyFerris,

That's a very good looking cut! Nice! Very NICE! You've got that Ferris dialed in buddy!

:drinkup:

ms

TaylorLawn
07-02-2009, 09:08 PM
I noticed a lot of the posts referencing this type of "hell" grass were from the carolinas and florida....I am not sure about other states but here in SC the highway department uses it to spread over areas which they have excavated and put in drainage systems, culverts etc...Once they have work to do in a decent neighborhood, they spread it and about a year later it begins to take over everyone's yard....The funny thing is when cut short it actually blends well with centipede, but then it takes off and becomes an LCO's nemesis...We deal with this grass type daily and it is commonly referred to as Highway Grass due to the use of it by the Highway Department and I have also heard the term "Turkey Grass"......Doesnt mulch, fills up a bag in about 25 ft of cutting, and clogs everything.......I have grabbed it by the long shoots and wicked it with round up soaked in a towel, and there are a few products that claim to selectively eliminate it (Image, etc)....Success was limited....very limited.....

SfTD_service_CENTER
07-03-2009, 12:10 AM
mama wanted shorter than I cut it!!! Now she'll have dirt!!

i like that! lol

i say go tall !

that ferris left a nice cut!

topsites
07-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Of course, for you pros, I suppose that more mowing means more moolah so bahaia is also your friend. For me, double cutting means double hours (though I can mow faster on the second pass) ... and it still won't be perfect.

Double hours maybe but I have yet to meet a customer who will pay double just
because someone HAD to double cut, and I don't care the reason LOL

dtelawn
07-03-2009, 01:31 AM
I associate the two points on the stems as devil horns. The problem with Bahia is that it grow faster and strionger the hotter it is. My understanding is that it is one of the most drought resistant grasses period. The hotter and dryer it gets the harder the stems get. I have found that it is much easier to cut with a dew on it or wet from rain. Seems to weight it some. I have also had better results by bringing the throttle down alittle on it. I am afraid this is adding stress on the mower though.

MS_SURVEYOR
07-03-2009, 02:18 AM
I associate the two points on the stems as devil horns. The problem with Bahia is that it grow faster and strionger the hotter it is. My understanding is that it is one of the most drought resistant grasses period. The hotter and dryer it gets the harder the stems get. I have found that it is much easier to cut with a dew on it or wet from rain. Seems to weight it some. I have also had better results by bringing the throttle down alittle on it. I am afraid this is adding stress on the mower though.

I agree with the The hotter and dryer it gets the harder the stems get.

I also agree with I associate the two points on the stems as devil horns.

I watch this hay production group sickle cut it, rake it, and bale it for sale. They get a crop a week. I have a friend of mine in North Mississippi that bought an estate rake just to row up bahia, and keep his thatch under control. I just don't know what he did with the clippings. Oh well. I'll ask him tomorrow.

I'm looking at some new blades. Something with more lift. I tried Gator Mulcher 3-N-1. Naw! Didn't like the cut. I did find some Exmark hi lift blades today. just need to pick them up. They are 18 inches by 2.50 inches by 1/4 inch thick. That's a 1/2 wider than my blades. I did adjust the rpms on my 30hp Kohler from 3550 to 3600. I was shocked how much better the whole rig ran and cut the bahia. I know 50 rpms don't seem like much, but I could feel and see a difference.

ms

topsites
07-03-2009, 02:30 AM
Y'all don't know high cuts LOL

Once summer hits my lowest setting is 3.75" and it goes up from there, temps in the 90's I frequently
cut at 4.5 - 5.25" and that's during years when we don't have a drought.

Although I have to admit, SOMEONE in my neck of the woods cut awful high too because I got raked
over on this one lawn, I was set to 4.5" or so and that stuff clumped and chewed something awful.
I would have gone higher but by the time I realized my mistake I'd already made
two whole passes, just had to deal with it.
I was guessing at least one other Lco has a keen sense towards summer turf care, and a great sense of humor.
You could say I wasn't the happy camper, but I did have the time to appreciate as much.

Laters, great thread.

sweetz
07-03-2009, 03:24 AM
I have found that it is much easier to cut with a dew on it or wet from rain. Seems to weight it some.

I have to agree. The other day it rained the entire day while I cut, but the bahia lawns seemed to actually look better after I cut them in the rain then when I cut them while they are dry.

tamadrummer
07-03-2009, 08:21 AM
I won't use any other blade than the 3-n-1 gators any longer! I have 3 brand new boxes of high lifts and they will sit because the gators cut bahia and St. Augustine better than any other I have ever used!

Only have to double cut not triple or quadruple cut to get the clippings down.

As far as wet or dry cutting, DRY please! I hate having to cut et grass, it will stick to the deck and drop out pieces of crap as you are cutting and since they are wet and gross they will not break up or get sucked up on the second pass, so you have clumps. No thanks!

Florida Gardener
07-03-2009, 10:03 AM
i hate bahia as much as the next guy. The only decent thing is on the second pass, you can fly through it and cut the clippings from the 1st pass even finer and get the stragglers. This is also assuming your using good blades that are sharp. Once i get to the point where i can turn business away, i will only take on St. Augustine yards. I have one customer who has about a 3/4 to an acre lot. He used to have all bahia, but we landscaped the front and sodded it with augustine(which looks beautiful btw). The back is still bahia until we landscape/resod that. Even on a weekly schedule, i still have to make two passes to get it looking good. it is such a waste of time when you have to do this. i cant wait till we get rid of it.

LuvMyFerris
07-03-2009, 04:49 PM
I have also had better results by bringing the throttle down a little on it. I am afraid this is adding stress on the mower though.

I find the exact opposite, the throttle needs to be W.F.O. as stated in my ferris owners manual, the first few months I had the mower, I only ran it w/ 3/4 throttle and it seemed the mower bogged a lot. Not any longer, also I have got caught in the rain once and to my surprise it wasn't so bad, now this wasn't a flood just a light to medium shower and I was almost finished so I just went for it and it turned out ok to my surprise. I know Bahia is a B*t*h to cut but look at it this way, its very environmental friendly and it doesn't require much water to make it look pretty. I cant re-sod since I have so much so I am just making the best of it.

TaylorLawn
07-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Here is what the local Turf Company states about it..
Bahia grass, commonly called Highway grass, is coarse textured and grows to an open turf that is mainly upright. This is not a good lawn grass for numerous reasons.
It is primarily used for erosion control and cover in areas where there is no irrigation.

Characteristics
Very drought tolerant
Requires little or no maintenance other than frequent mowing
Produces unsightly seed heads
Mow at 4-5 inches

billslawn89
07-03-2009, 10:11 PM
i hate the stuff! thats all you see here and grows like mad with all the rain we've been having! don't matter how sharp my blades are, i still have to double cut to get rid of the seed heads!

Florida Gardener
07-03-2009, 11:39 PM
i will post a pic here next week of one of my two bi-weeklies that i do. The property has both augustine and bahia and the front section holds water easily after a rain and i havent been able to cut it in a month. we have had rain here all this week as well and theres a good chance i still wont be able to cut it next week. i will still post pics though.

Florida Gardener
07-05-2009, 09:51 PM
As promised. I went ahead and cut this afternoon in case it rained tomorrow. This first pic is of the main section that holds water really bad after 1 rain. i haven't been able to cut it for a month b/c it is bi-weekly and the last two times I went out there, it had this problem. The second pic is of bahia that has gone 12 days since the last cut. The third pic is after the first pass, 4th pic of the bagged grass from the first pass, 5/6 after the second pass. Done with a 48 Toro Zmaster 2008 w/mulching blades. 1st pass was cut at 4.25(highest setting on my Toro), 2nd pass at 4." I cut the first pass pretty slow and second 3/4 because some of the weeds in there are still tought to get.

http://i44.tinypic.com/5126mb.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/m7c202.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/2hi83g5.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/2z5u3xh.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/1zvdav7.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/2r4natv.jpg

GravelyNut
07-05-2009, 10:25 PM
You've got to be tough to live in the South. Just about any grass down here will load up a mower except Centipede. And Zoysia likes to pull the mower down into it.

MS_SURVEYOR
07-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Picture 3 looks pretty rough! Are you using a mulching setup? I'm sorry! I see you're using mulching blades. Is the mulching plate being used? I side discharge with the chute open. I don't seem to have that much buildup. But I'm in the country on my own land that is wide open.

Florida Gardener
07-06-2009, 12:17 AM
i run the plate in the winter....this was with mulching blades and side discharge...keep in mind, this is 1 month uncut bahia. pic 2 was about 12 day uncut bahia that i have to double cut, but there is virtually no clippings from that and the second pass i fly through.

retrodog
07-06-2009, 12:20 AM
You guys think thats bad, I am gonna post pics of some of the stuff I mow. I was mowing a lot behind the Movie Gallery last year and ran into a trailer. You couldn't see it cause the grass was grown up around it. The grass stood taller than me on the mower....lol. Another LCO parked in the middle of the road with their rig just to watch me.

Richard Martin
07-06-2009, 08:27 AM
You guys think thats bad, I am gonna post pics of some of the stuff I mow. I was mowing a lot behind the Movie Gallery last year and ran into a trailer. You couldn't see it cause the grass was grown up around it. The grass stood taller than me on the mower....lol. Another LCO parked in the middle of the road with their rig just to watch me.

Yeah, but does it get like that in a week or two? Bahia gets to 10 and 12 inches very quickly. And then you have to try to make it look good. Week after week after week....

We've all cut high grass. Not everybody has gotten a chance to cut Bahia. You might notice that not one person has come in here and said that they liked Bahia becuase it was easy to cut.

sweetz
07-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Yeah, but does it get like that in a week or two? Bahia gets to 10 and 12 inches very quickly. And then you have to try to make it look good. Week after week after week....

We've all cut high grass. Not everybody has gotten a chance to cut Bahia. You might notice that not one person has come in here and said that they liked Bahia becuase it was easy to cut.

I think it is funny when people want a lower rate and only want their yard cut like once a month because they don't have much grass. What they do have though is bahia. So, every month when they want it cut, it is like 3-4 feet tall!:laugh:

TMK
07-16-2009, 07:08 PM
All I cut is Bahia common grounds_no problems at all_use high lift (sharp blades) go reasonable speed_mulching away_using Toro Z 52"_ only have to cut it weekly 5 months of the year_other 7 months only 1-2 times month_same pay every month.

sweetz
07-17-2009, 11:40 PM
All I cut is Bahia common grounds_no problems at all_use high lift (sharp blades) go reasonable speed_mulching away_using Toro Z 52"_ only have to cut it weekly 5 months of the year_other 7 months only 1-2 times month_same pay every month.

Just curious, what height are you cutting at?

traman
07-17-2009, 11:51 PM
June July and August i cut it at 3 inches,all other months 2.5 inches

sweetz
07-17-2009, 11:56 PM
June July and August i cut it at 3 inches,all other months 2.5 inches

Thanks, I do about the same & I was just curious.

TMK
07-18-2009, 12:02 AM
since about mid may (first front to stall on us) cutting at 4-4.5" cutting weekly until oct. I cut it higher if the forecast does not call for too much rain. I have some areas where I make a pass at 5" then pass at 4.5" Really like the Toro I bought. Z500. Changing blades 10-15hrs. i like cutting common grounds, some areas need not be "real purty". it is my neighborhood anyway.

sweetz
07-18-2009, 12:05 AM
since about mid may (first front to stall on us) cutting at 4-4.5" cutting weekly until oct. I cut it higher if the forecast does not call for too much rain. I have some areas where I make a pass at 5" then pass at 4.5" Really like the Toro I bought. Z500. Changing blades 10-15hrs. i like cutting common grounds, some areas need not be "real purty". it is my neighborhood anyway.

Thanks, like you I go higher if no rain, but (at least with my mower) I have noticed that it cuts better at about 3".

traman
07-18-2009, 12:08 AM
ha on a side note ,you know what this week is ,half way point.only 15 weeks left till Nov,and bi- monthly cutting :clapping::clapping::clapping:

sweetz
07-18-2009, 12:08 AM
some areas need not be "real purty". it is my neighborhood anyway.

That's like about 15 of my accounts. I LOVE those!

boonehockey
07-18-2009, 01:20 AM
Here in florida bahia can be found everywhere. Most of the time its placed in low water level areas because its extremely drought tolerant. The y shaped blades are the seeds and thats how you can find the stuff in patches in yards. Mowing bahia often leaves stragglers behind and doesnt give a very crisp look when mowed.

Florida Gardener
07-18-2009, 01:45 AM
on my bahia yards, i make the first pass at 4" and do it full throttle, and the second pass at 3.5" full throttle. I think 3.5" on weekly yards looks best for bahia.

Richard Martin
07-18-2009, 08:56 AM
I would never get away with cutting Bahia that high. Someone said it doesn't look "crisp" when mowed. You need to lower your height if you want the lawn to look mowed. I've tried cutting at 3.5" and the lawns just don't look like they've been mowed. Sure, the grass is shorter but I like them to look like I've done something when I'm done. I cut Bahia at 2.5" with one lawn at 3" no matter what the weather. There's two things I've learned about bahia and that is that it doesn't stop growing until it gets cold and you can't hurt it by cutting it lower.

TMK
07-18-2009, 10:21 AM
counting down too_i have 10 more cuts until bimonthly in oct then monthly from nov-feb. usually like to cut it around 3-3.5 (except for now). i like bahia, have it in my yard also, bahia is basically a weed, very drought tolerant & very easy to keep bugs out- just treat 2 times in summer for grubs & mole crickets. i have .75 acre yard & the bahia is full & thick, which keeps the clover at minimum. been growing/cutting bahia for about 12yrs now. it does grow fast though :)

MyKisa
07-18-2009, 04:15 PM
great stuff for livestock

MSlawnBoy
07-18-2009, 07:08 PM
I sodded bermuda around my house, but the rest of my 4 acres is mostly bahia.....I try and not let it get to tall before cutting, but dang it grow fast. Sharp blades and cutting it as low as possible seem to do the trick.