PDA

View Full Version : What has your mower " Ate "

HighlandLC
09-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Mowing yesterday, and found a 3/8" 4 Foot long piece of rebar. Mower bent it into a nice pretzel, and the fresh blades I put on were dulled a bit, but no damage. Hell of a noise, scarred me too :dizzy:

Last year it was a small concrete lawn bunny that my kid had hidden on my own yard.

After yesterday, its another reason I love the toughness of my Scag, and why their ZTR keeps moving up my list of next mower.

cgaengineer
09-19-2008, 12:09 PM
A steel bicycle footpeg...cut it right in half and couldnt even see where it hit the blade.

A ground rod, shaved the top off nicely...wont be hitting it again since its at the correct mowing height now.

A chunk of concrete...had ran over it for weeks, it was imbedded in the ground...well this time it decided to come out after the front wheels dislodged it...that took some chunks out of the blade...some of the concrete got stuck between the turbo force baffle and the deck and came out later while I was mowing.

jsw2008
09-19-2008, 01:39 PM
I ran over a old front porch 3' x 4' welcome mat last week. The homeowner put it in some tall grass and I didn't see it. You should have heard the sound it made. I didn't know what had happened. The Hustler cut it in about 50 pieces.
Just this season the highlights have been a baseball, several golf balls, tennis ball, 2 live snakes and a long dead squirrel(my personal favorite). I didn't know how far a mower would throw a golf ball until I hit one--well over 50 yards. Thank God nobody was in the way.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Sucked in (did not run over) a tin plant holder from one of my nice, fast paying, old ladies lawns. Mangled it. Had to bring it to her door and explain myself, offered to pay what it was worth. Her comment "Gee, I didn't even know that thing was gone." Whew!

Also, mower eats lots of dog dung. I despise that, pick that crap up.

seabee1
09-19-2008, 02:18 PM
some body else's caster (church's) assembly off of a ya-zoo mower that rusted off and shot into the other yard ,they don't work very hard at maintaining their equipment . made a heck of a racket flying out from under the grasshopper .nothing a good sharpening couldn't handle ,went over and gave the piece to the guy mowing ,he don't even notice it cutting bad ,and handed it to him .

billslawn89
09-19-2008, 02:36 PM
baby rabbits in tall grass, snakes, dead birds, and most of all, paper...instead of picking up one piece of paper, turned out i was picking up 20 little pieces of paper.:cry:

capelawncare.com
09-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Countless Snakes, Extention cords, a few hoses, a well head, thats about it.

Tinkerer
09-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Baby rabbit as I was mowing around a small tree,, I didn't even see it, heard a noise then saw a puff of fur come out the mower deck. Aluminum mole trap,, my Toro 117GM and 52" deck just chewed it up. Rich customer didn't want $$$ for it but I ended up buying a new 1:18 model of their special edition green 2002 Thunderbird and didn't ask to be payed for it. One lawn near a pond had dozens of baby frogs crawling all over the lawn. I could barely move the mower without running over or sucking them up with the mower deck.

jwynncmi
09-19-2008, 03:43 PM
One of my employees threw a piece of 3/4" re-bar into the door of an F-250 last year with a 72" diesel JD. Gotta love insurance. Most expensive was pebble gravel into a huge glass window from the edger.

HighlandLC
09-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Just this season the highlights have been a baseball, several golf balls, tennis ball, 2 live snakes and a long dead squirrel(my personal favorite). I didn't know how far a mower would throw a golf ball until I hit one--well over 50 yards. Thank God nobody was in the way.

I think Golf balls are the most worrysome, they are nearly indistructable, and fly farther than most other junk.

pugs
09-19-2008, 04:56 PM
On of my customers got hold of a baseball and tossed it through the wall of a new townhouse.

Dingojoe
09-19-2008, 05:00 PM
The Toro sucked in a newspaper that was on the driveway...thought it wouldn't suck that sucker like it did....well needless to say, I spent the next half hour picking up newsprint confetti from the front yard....I mean it blew up! Looked cool comin out....neighbor I think heard me spout a few choice words...

seabee1
09-19-2008, 05:41 PM
yeah they give tiger a run for his money !

greaseyknight
09-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Was mowing along side a busy road and hit a 2 pound chunk of steel off a commercial truck with my honda 21. Made a lot of clunking, until I let go of the handle....it started right up and still works great. I'm now using the piece I hit as a paper weight :D

seabee1
09-19-2008, 07:38 PM
gives a new meaning to the song heavy metal !!!!!!!!!!!!

billslawn89
09-19-2008, 07:41 PM
The Toro sucked in a newspaper that was on the driveway...thought it wouldn't suck that sucker like it did....well needless to say, I spent the next half hour picking up newsprint confetti from the front yard....I mean it blew up! Looked cool comin out....neighbor I think heard me spout a few choice words...

man that is funny! LOL i'm sure we all done that at one time or other! i can just picture the paper coming out of the mower all shreaded.. oh man...:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

kayakn
09-19-2008, 07:43 PM
two 20' 1'2" rope got rapped around spindle on jdL110 and melted, got it off and mowed the same spot again and another rope got twisted that i didnt even see.

davidcentralflorida
09-19-2008, 07:48 PM
a boat achor in tall grass, could have been real bad

a fourway lug wrench, cut one of the sockets in two

a rubber truckmat, i didnt think it would pull up

got too close to a chain link fence, my mower pulled that wire like thread, almost an hour cutting, before i could drop a blade and free the mower.

the chain link has to be the worst, i couldnt pull away w/o pulling the fence over

the most damage has to be a pile of river rock, 2-3 inch pieces put in for decoration. the kids dug them out and left them in tall grass. what a racket, baffles got bent up a little

i hope this list never grows

2stroke
09-19-2008, 08:18 PM
dont u guys have sheer bolts on your blade? or is this just a Walker thing?

davidcentralflorida
09-19-2008, 08:22 PM
the grasshopper uses two fiber washers, these keep you from over tightening, also they give if you hit something hard.

sweetz
09-19-2008, 09:03 PM

I did exactly the same thing with my TORO z! Exactly!!! It's funny now, but at the time it wasn't!

Dingojoe
09-19-2008, 09:11 PM
man that is funny! LOL i'm sure we all done that at one time or other! i can just picture the paper coming out of the mower all shreaded.. oh man...:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yeah it was pretty funny...I smiled after the few choice words.... needless to say, I will ALWAYS stear WAY clear of newspapers, the the point where I'll take the paper and put it into the cutomers door... about a week after I mulched her paper I fired her for not paying me... guess she really wanted that paper.;)

mjslawn
09-19-2008, 10:08 PM
LOL I love it! I blew up an entire edition of the local Superpages with my Z, was coming down a slippery slope, saw it and couldn't stop! POW! Bit of a whiteout for a second :) Good thing the customer and her daughter came out and cleaned it up cuz they left it lay. Took them a while LOL!

TimsLawnCareVA
Cutting a yard at a newly built house, first time cut since lawn was put in. Someone buried half of a broken manhole cover in the ground when they were spreading dirt and left about 4" sticking out the ground. I hit it with one of my blades. Needless to say I needed a new spindle and blade and the homeowner seemed to care less that it cost me almost $300.

STIHL GUY
babbie bunnies, a rock that fell off a rock wall as i mowed past it and paper which sucks to clean up but thankfully it was near the woods so i just blew it in there

ALC-GregH
09-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Cutting a yard at a newly built house, first time cut since lawn was put in. Someone buried half of a broken manhole cover in the ground when they were spreading dirt and left about 4" sticking out the ground. I hit it with one of my blades. Needless to say I needed a new spindle and blade and the homeowner seemed to care less that it cost me almost $300.

I would have contacted the builder or company that graded the yard and had them drive over and look at what their employee is doing. Maybe explain how a man hole cover shouldn't be sticking out of the ground on a finish grade.

Precision09
09-19-2008, 11:44 PM
Busted a 16x8 glass= 890.00

13ft of barbwire= no cost

irrigation valve cover= 4.00

auto shut & open gate/cut wire w/edger= fixed myself

several sprinkler heads that did not go into ground= ?

3 employees-do not know what they have hit?!?!?!?!

Precision09
09-19-2008, 11:52 PM
Forgot the worst i ever hit a 20.00 bill

02DURAMAX
09-20-2008, 01:46 AM
I think Golf balls are the most worrysome, they are nearly indistructable, and fly farther than most other junk.

I hate Golf balls!!!!..I have made some go pretty far!!:dizzy:

Jeff Tracey Enterprises
09-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Yesterday, I mowed over a section of a wooden garden border. I think it took out about 4 or 5 with the ZTR. They were all attached to a wire that kept them together but luckily didn't take the wire with it. And to put the icing on the cake it was the first time mowing for him. Coincidentally enough, the guy who recommended me to him is his business partner and another one of my clients and I ran over one of his trees with a walk behind... OK so it was a little tree, maybe 6 or 7 feet tall, but the mower chopped it to pieces! I went and knocked on the door and told them I could either mow for free for them that day or I could go buy a replacement tree and plant it for them and the guy told me not to worry about it because the tree hadn't had leaves on it for 2 years. OOPS!!!

f150 with bobcat
09-26-2008, 03:29 PM
i hit a small phonebook in june and the sunday paper a few weeks back