PDA

View Full Version : 28hp Kohler EFI engine not staying charged...

ztrguy
09-19-2008, 11:08 AM
I have a 28hp Kohler EFI engine that will not stay charged. I have had the rectifier, stator, and battery replaced. It will stay charged for maybe an hour or two of continuous use and it will drain the battery down. Once the battery is drained down the light will come on and it will start to lose power and eventually die. If someone can please figure out how in the world to fix this problem I will give them a prize! Seriously, I've spent over $500 to fix the issue and it still has not been fixed. I need help! Please give me your suggestions. I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

cgaengineer
09-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Sounds to me like you have a parasitic draw. Take a look at this article for testing parasitic draw. http://www.inliners.org/tech/tech6.html I know you dont have fuses, but you can find out what is draining the battery while ignition is off. Basically you will disconnect the negative battery cable and put a test light between the battery and the cable. Once you have done this you can start unhooking electricals until light goes off. I cannot think of one thing on a mower that should have power all of the time like a radio in a car...except maybe an hour meter.

mcduff48
09-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Try using a test light to see if you have power coming from the stator. Find the voltage regulator and (with the engine running) unplug the lead going to it. Hook the negative clip of the test light to the negative battery post and use the probe to check the white wires going to the regulator. If it doesn't light up, you will need a stator and probably a flywheel. Kohler has had a problem with the magnets epoxied to the inside of the flywheel coming lose and damaging the stator. Be sure to replace both stator and flywheel or you will be doing the same job all over again very soon. I hope this is helpful. Good luck. :usflag:

Richard Martin
09-19-2008, 02:33 PM
He has a EFI mower Chris. It has multiple fuses along with a KAM (Keep Alive Memory in the computer). It will always draw power.

The first thing I would do is see if it is charging. Charge the battery up and then start the mower. Read the voltage at the battery. It should be 13.5 volts or higher. Get back to me with the results.

ztrguy
09-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the replies...

Restrorob
09-28-2008, 06:24 PM
One other thing,

Hooking a 12 volt test light to the white stator wires will only blow the test light bulb since the stator puts out 35+ AC volts when working properly.....

tomo
09-28-2008, 07:11 PM
hello,
first charge and check battery with a load tester
2/ check for output from stator windings AC volts refer kohler 4 the spec
3/ check out put at the regulator [DC] /rectifier turns ac to dc -both r in the one unit at least 13.5 vdc at 3000rpm . Ideal voltage 13.8--14.3
4/ If output is there u have lost it some where in the wiring on its way to the battery

nb excessive cleaning with compressed air can cause very small stones to dislodge from behind flywheel and damage stator also .

magnets come loose

in many cases charge amperage goes thru the ignition switch ,It eventually burns out the contacts

system maybe relay isolated from battery and as u would expect a fuse and or fusable link

tomo:waving:

cgaengineer
09-29-2008, 09:34 AM
He has a EFI mower Chris. It has multiple fuses along with a KAM (Keep Alive Memory in the computer). It will always draw power.

The first thing I would do is see if it is charging. Charge the battery up and then start the mower. Read the voltage at the battery. It should be 13.5 volts or higher. Get back to me with the results.

Thanks you Richard, was not sure how "electric" EFI was on this mower. I know some stuff is electro mechanical without computers.

pugs
09-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Why did you replace basically the entire charging system? Why not find the problem and replace or repair that? Probably nothing wrong with all the stuff you replaced. You probably have a wiring issue or other relatively small problem.

ztrguy
10-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Why did you replace basically the entire charging system? Why not find the problem and replace or repair that? Probably nothing wrong with all the stuff you replaced. You probably have a wiring issue or other relatively small problem.

The Toro dealer thought it was the rectifier so they replaced it. Once that didn't fix the problem they replaced the stator. And that didn't work either. Thought it may be a bad battery so they replaced the battery. Long story short, $500 later and new parts the problem still exist. I need help!

robbo521
10-02-2008, 03:46 PM
you have a bad spot in a wire some place touching doing this.or a bad connection on the wire.

ztrguy
10-22-2008, 02:19 PM
you have a bad spot in a wire some place touching doing this.or a bad connection on the wire.

What is the proper procedure in finding the bad spot in the wiring?

pugs
10-22-2008, 02:54 PM
The Toro dealer thought it was the rectifier so they replaced it. Once that didn't fix the problem they replaced the stator. And that didn't work either. Thought it may be a bad battery so they replaced the battery. Long story short, $500 later and new parts the problem still exist. I need help!

Do you have a Meter? Something to measure DC/AC voltages and Resistance.

Now go to www.kohlerplus.com and click "enter as guest". Find the service manual for your engine and download it. Test the charging system components. You wont really be able to test the regulator/rectifier well but you can test the stator.

Also are you sure that the charging wire is getting battery voltage at the regulator/rectifier?

mcduff48
10-22-2008, 03:18 PM
One other thing,

Hooking a 12 volt test light to the white stator wires will only blow the test light bulb since the stator puts out 35+ AC volts when working properly.....

Oops........you are correct. Use a meter and read the voltage....sorry :hammerhead:

puppypaws
10-22-2008, 10:45 PM

You have mechanics, which if you can find one out of a hundred that is any good you best stick with him, doctors are the same way.

You then have parts changers, like the ones you just described. Doctors are the same, they give you a certain medication if it doesn't work they change and give you another one. There has been more than one person killed using this trial and error medicine.

ztrguy
10-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Do you have a Meter? Something to measure DC/AC voltages and Resistance.

Now go to www.kohlerplus.com and click "enter as guest". Find the service manual for your engine and download it. Test the charging system components. You wont really be able to test the regulator/rectifier well but you can test the stator.

Also are you sure that the charging wire is getting battery voltage at the regulator/rectifier?

Can someone go to Kohlerplus.com, download and email that file to me? The website uses Internet Explorer only and it won't work with FireFox. PM me and I will send you my email address so you can send it my way. Thanks guys!

Richard Martin
10-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Why can't you use IE?

Kennedy Landscaping
10-24-2008, 11:52 AM

Start searching. Listen for clicks as well, it could be the ignition switch. My old lawn mower used to do this, it was the soleinoid every time. But I know on my EFI Kohler engine it will click when the engine is off sometimes and it is usually the ignition switch just needs to be adjusted. Don't know how much this will help you but I just figured I would give you my 02

ztrguy
10-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Why can't you use IE?

I don't have Windows installed on my Mac.

Richard Martin
10-24-2008, 05:03 PM
I don't have Windows installed on my Mac.

Why not? I thought you could emulate Windows on a Mac?

I'm just giving you a hard time. :)

If no one has sent you the file yet just PM me and I'll get it to you.

puppypaws
10-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Can someone go to Kohlerplus.com, download and email that file to me? The website uses Internet Explorer only and it won't work with FireFox. PM me and I will send you my email address so you can send it my way. Thanks guys!

Here it is!

http://www.kohlerengines.com/common/resources/tp_2450_b.pdf