PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Chopper

TheOctagon
09-19-2008, 12:13 PM
I was just curious how well these mowers do in northern grasses like what we have in minnesota. Any cut pics would be great too. I have heard good things about them but havent really heard how they cut up here.

mowerbrad
09-19-2008, 04:26 PM
I just got a Dixie Chopper dealer in my town about 2 months ago. I was very sceptical about using it and how it would perform. So I talked to the dealer and they set me up with a demo unit to use on a couple of properties. I can say first hand that it cuts better and faster than my bob-cat ever has. Cut quality is up there with the top brands (ie; exmark, toro, scag, etc). I was literally able to cut at full speed with the excaliber and not sacrafice cut quality. I don't know how well they bag leaves and grass as the dealer didn't have one with the collection system on it, hopefully they will get a collection system on one so I can try it out but from what I have seen in videos the collection system doesn't pick up leaves too well, it kind of leaves the yard a little too messy for me.

Cooter
09-20-2008, 02:58 AM
I have heard that the Excaliber cuts better than the standard deck. We recently got a dealer that started carrying them also. Just took their classic 33/60 for a demo today. Yes it is fast and the Generac ran awesome, no lack of power. It also used its fair share of fuel. This had the suspension forks and the Gee ride seat. Very comfortable at all speeds. It also did not dip and bounce like "flex forks". I did not like the responsive of the controls. Cut quality was ok if you slowed down, the purpose of this demo was to possibly get a faster mower. At the speed to get a quality cut it is comparable or slower than the competition, my 7 Iron cut much better. The deck lift is the worst I have ever seen, no way to raise and lower on the go. Overall a very well built sturdy piece of equipment. I would pass because if I have to slow down to get it to cut well the speed doesn't help.

lawnman_scott
09-20-2008, 05:28 AM
I dont know if you ever heard of eric elm. He was a member here that passed away some time ago. People constantly steal his pics. He was from the Chicago area and used dixies. Click on the u-tube link in this thead. These are someo f his stolen pics.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=244810&highlight=eric+elm+picture

02DURAMAX
09-20-2008, 05:47 AM
If I dont get my turf tiger im getting a dixie chopper they leave one mean stripe!!!!

TheOctagon
09-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the input guys! Ill keep looking around see what else comes up to discuss.