PDA

View Full Version : Wright Standers - Opinions please

mowinginva
09-19-2008, 03:44 PM
What are the pros and cons of Wright standers? Quality of cut? Durability? How do they manage on hills? Your opinions please, thanks.

Gran Sport
09-19-2008, 04:19 PM
They are IMO the most versatile machine in the industry. The quality of cut is great as long as you keep the deck clean. They take hills better than any other mower out there. Getting over curbs is a breeze. They are fast and comfortable to ride. You don't get grass in your face all day like on a ztr. You can fit more of them in or on your trailer. Extremely easy to service. Not as heavy, so rutting on wet lawns is greatly reduced. But if you do get stuck, turn off the blades, step off the back, and let the machine walk out of the mud.

By the way, I am unbiased. I have both ztr's and Standers.

If you are in the market, try the new Stander ZK. They are as fast or faster then most ztr's out there (cutting speed 14mph!)

Also, I have bad knees, and prefer to ride the Stander over the Z. They don't pound your body like some might think.

Gran Sport
09-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Oh yeah, one more thing. No cons! Only pros!

Southside Lawn Services
09-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Funny thing. I spent today looking/riding the Exmark Lazer Z HP 56" $7650.00 the Hustler SD 36" $5,000.00 and the Wright Stander 36" $6,000.

I will be picking up my Stander 36" next Wednesday. For the 30 minutes I tooled around on each mower the Wright by far was more comfortable. I'm 6'2" 250LBS.

Thou the exmark was nice, and a great price. It's just not what I was looking for.

coolluv
09-19-2008, 04:33 PM
From what I have researched they tend to scalp more than most mowers. That is stand on units in general not just Wright. But everything Gran Sport said seems to be true.

Dave...

Gran Sport
09-19-2008, 04:40 PM
From what I have researched they tend to scalp more than most mowers. That is stand on units in general not just Wright. But everything Gran Sport said seems to be true.

Dave...

Actually, I think they scalp less. The distance between the front casters and rear wheels is less on a Stander then on a Z.

Gran Sport
09-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Another really cool thing about the Stander. The other day I cut the sidewall of one of my front tires. My dealer was'nt going to be able to have a new in for me till the next day. So what I did was take 2 spacers from the top of the fork and put them on the bottom. This took up the difference in ride height from one side to the other. I was able to cut the rest of the day on a flat, and kept the same cut quality.

coolluv
09-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Pretty smart. Who are you Mcgiver.:laugh:

Dave...

IN2MOWN
09-19-2008, 06:20 PM
6 grand for a 36? Seems a little high to me. Check out the Wright website, they have a seasonal buying program where its cheaper to buy in the fall and winter. You can save a ton doing that.

Houstonguy
09-19-2008, 08:17 PM
here near houston, tx my dealer had them for 4800 about 4 months ago. that does seem steep.

captbob
09-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Gran sport have you used the Sentar 36 ? I am kinda tossed on that I was able to demo one for about 5 yards and will be trying one again on tuesday hopefully for bit longer to really try all condition and grass types here in Florida . But now I am really screwed up my local dealer let me use his 52 ZK with the 31 hp Kaw
and that thing is a beast it made my 52 ex lazer with a 28 kaw seem tame The ZK did not have a mulch kit on it and for me that is mandatory I would think with that much power the mulch kit would not rob to much power. But back to the Sentar I have someone interested in my little Phazar Ex mark 34 with the 17 kaw motor it only has 140 hours and I use it for backyards , But what I want to do is use one mower for about 2/3 rds of my lawns with a small light trailer I just built 5.5x 11 Aluminum rig single axle to save on gas and am thinking one of the Wrights might fit the bill the Phazer is kinda slow and it suffers a little on traction there are really no grades here in the Tampa bay area they don't do well on that aspect at all . Just trying to pick the mower that would suit me 6.3 200 lbs and a single operator until school is out then my son helps me some. I will keep my 52 Ex for a while yet to see how I like the Wright. By the way do you have the 17 or 19 hp and is that enough power
Thanks Capt Bob

TNT LawnCare Inc.
09-19-2008, 09:36 PM
We love the Wright Standers. Most Efficent machine on the market, highly productive and no operator fatigue when the day is over. Cut Quality is a 8 on a scale from 1-10 ,decks need to be cleaned often which is easy. You can fit 4-5 mowers on a 14-16 ft trailer. There fast and not to bad on hills. Only mower i'll use for residentials and small commercials. There a little pricey but what is'nt, TNT

Southside Lawn Services
09-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Actually $6199.00 for the stander. However, I just found the coupon your talking about. I will save almost $1,200.00 if I wait until 11-01-08 to buy it. Thanks for the tip.

Mike D

btnj47
09-19-2008, 10:08 PM
I am also looking into the wright mowers . Id love to hear some feedback on the stander 36" I use my 48" w/b on all my yards now, I am able to buy a stander 36" for $2800 used 415 hrs. I do some small lawns and some bigger lawns also so not sure if its a wise move. I could use th stander 36 on the smaller ones and the w/b on bigger ones with a sulky I guess

Southside Lawn Services
09-19-2008, 10:13 PM
I use a 36 and 48 Exmark w/ velkes on both, and the dealer said with speed and turning ability of the Stander, that it will cut twice as fast as my 48" while using a 36"

btnj47
09-19-2008, 10:16 PM
I use a 36 and 48 Exmark w/ velkes on both, and the dealer said with speed and turning ability of the Stander, that it will cut twice as fast as my 48" while using a 36"

Thats what I was wondering, if im able to move faster on the 36" stander I could possibly get done faster than walking on a 48"

TNT LawnCare Inc.
09-19-2008, 10:18 PM
I am also looking into the wright mowers . Id love to hear some feedback on the stander 36" I use my 48" w/b on all my yards now, I am able to buy a stander 36" for $2800 used 415 hrs. I do some small lawns and some bigger lawns also so not sure if its a wise move. I could use th stander 36 on the smaller ones and the w/b on bigger ones with a sulky I guess

Your 36 stander will out cut the 48 and the velky, take both mowers on 2 different trips and do a time study !

TNT LawnCare Inc.
09-19-2008, 10:20 PM

The 36 stander is a great machine small and compact highly productive and fast. thats a good price for a 36 used stander.

btnj47
09-19-2008, 10:23 PM
Your 36 stander will out cut the 48 and the velky, take both mowers on 2 different trips and do a time study !

I didnt buy the 36" stander yet . I only have a 48" w/b now. I have grown my business and could really use something to speed me up . walking every lawn blows :hammerhead: came on here tonight hoping to find some good feedback on a 36" stander and if it would be a good move or not

TNT LawnCare Inc.
09-19-2008, 10:27 PM
I didnt buy the 36" stander yet . I only have a 48" w/b now. I have grown my business and could really use something to speed me up . walking every lawn blows :hammerhead: came on here tonight hoping to find some good feedback on a 36" stander and if it would be a good move or not

One of the biggest reasons to switch to the stander is cause ,your right walking stinks. The stander takes a little to get used to but once youve mastered its capabilaty's there the most productive small to mid sized residential mowers. I see your from Jeresy come down for the day here in MD. and see for yourself.

rogerwb
09-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Also, I have bad knees, and prefer to ride the Stander over the Z. They don't pound your body like some might think.

Get too much air in the tires and this machine will ride super rough. Stopped and let some air out and the problem fixed.

I love my stander RH 48" 19 HP. Handles hill's very well. If the hill is too steep it will be hard to turn. Like trying to turn around a tree when on a steep slope. No fever on tipping over because you can lean.

You can get a lot of work done in a very short time. Be careful when turning as you can tear up the grass very easily.

rogerwb
09-19-2008, 10:33 PM

I wish I had the 36" over my 48"

For I reason. I can get through more gates.

rogerwb
09-19-2008, 10:36 PM

I bet you use the 36" more than than the 48"

I thinking it will be more productive or very very close.

btnj47
09-19-2008, 10:37 PM
I wish I had the 36" over my 48"

For I reason. I can get through more gates.

You have a 48 stander ? I have heard great things about these machines. I am demoing a 48" john deere ztr tomorrow but I dont think its going to work well on most of my smaller lawns so I think the stander might be a good solution instead of walking every yard

ed2hess
09-19-2008, 10:42 PM
We got the Sentar Sport with 17HP Kaw and RH and have 1300 hours on it. It definitely has saved us a lot of time in many respects. Easy to pick up trash, go quickly to give instructions to other members in crew, and the mulching aspect is great. We really like the RH which allows us to go into almost any growth situation and knock it down. Very productive machine and takes up little space in trailer.

The things they need to improve:
1. Cut out a notch in the deck to make it easier to replace the hydro belt. The clutch has to be removed and not easy to get in with air wrench.
2. Put grease zerts on spindles to improve on the 600hr life.
3. Improve the brake linkage....as the pivots wear it doesn't stay engaged and fails to reset the interlock for starting. Have to manually push the mech
down to start the unit.
4. Throttle cable breaks about every 4 months....either Kaw throttle mechanism is too much load or the angles too sharp.
5. Put same damping in hydro linkage....it is jerky. Hard to use without experience.

sven1277
09-20-2008, 12:23 AM
I have a zk and I agree with points number 2 and 5. Haven't had the machine long enough to deal with wear-related issues.

delphied
09-20-2008, 12:38 AM
Thats what I was wondering, if im able to move faster on the 36" stander I could possibly get done faster than walking on a 48"

It will be faster than the WB. Easier on the body too, even if you are using a sulky. Personally, I would go with the 48.

02DURAMAX
09-20-2008, 01:38 AM

Dave...

Have you used one?..They dont scalp much at all!!!...Mine sure as He!! never did.

02DURAMAX
09-20-2008, 01:40 AM
We got the Sentar Sport with 17HP Kaw and RH and have 1300 hours on it. It definitely has saved us a lot of time in many respects. Easy to pick up trash, go quickly to give instructions to other members in crew, and the mulching aspect is great. We really like the RH which allows us to go into almost any growth situation and knock it down. Very productive machine and takes up little space in trailer.

The things they need to improve:
1. Cut out a notch in the deck to make it easier to replace the hydro belt. The clutch has to be removed and not easy to get in with air wrench.
2. Put grease zerts on spindles to improve on the 600hr life.
3. Improve the brake linkage....as the pivots wear it doesn't stay engaged and fails to reset the interlock for starting. Have to manually push the mech
down to start the unit.
4. Throttle cable breaks about every 4 months....either Kaw throttle mechanism is too much load or the angles too sharp.
5. Put same damping in hydro linkage....it is jerky. Hard to use without experience.

Man you must have got a bad one..The only problem with mine in three 5Yrs was a broken belt!.. How many hours does yours have?

CustomKare
09-20-2008, 08:24 AM
I have a 36" Sentar and a 52" Stander both are rapid height. The 36" is my workhorse. It has the 17HP and goes through everything. I tok the seat off the Sentar beacuse I feel alot more efficient standing. I also like the frame design better with the Sentar for ergonomics. 6'1 200# no fatigue. The stander is good but I have alot more control with the sentar design to get closer to the edges....less trimming. My 52" stander is a 19HP which I believe is under powered. I feel I can cut faster with my 36".

Anyone looking to buy these machines don't hesitate!! They'll make you money and allow you to get rid of your employees!!!

btnj47
09-20-2008, 09:26 AM
It will be faster than the WB. Easier on the body too, even if you are using a sulky. Personally, I would go with the 48.

I agree I would rather have a 48" stander also, but I happened to find a 36 stander for sale here very cheap

mowinginva
09-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the info. We're thinking about buying a 61" stander to replace our 60" ztr Dixie. Any info specifically on the 61"? Thanks

ProMo
09-20-2008, 11:35 AM
I have a 36 rh and am having a problem with the left side not cutting clean so when mowing back and forth it leaves a ridge of uncut grass unless I overlap the cut by about 8".

IN2MOWN
09-20-2008, 12:18 PM
I have a 36 rh and am having a problem with the left side not cutting clean so when mowing back and forth it leaves a ridge of uncut grass unless I overlap the cut by about 8".

Check spacers, blades and the washers on the blades. Make sure everything is even. 8" is a HUGE gap to be missing.

ProMo
09-20-2008, 12:32 PM
8" is how much I have to overlap to not see the ridge. It appears that about 2 inches of the cut is bad and only shows up when the left side going in one direction meets the left side going the other way. The rigt side cuts good so every other pass has the ridge. Ill try to get some pics.

coolluv
09-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Have you used one?..They dont scalp much at all!!!...Mine sure as He!! never did.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=220529
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=231793

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=1269

Dave...

TNT LawnCare Inc.
09-20-2008, 11:50 PM
8" is how much I have to overlap to not see the ridge. It appears that about 2 inches of the cut is bad and only shows up when the left side going in one direction meets the left side going the other way. The rigt side cuts good so every other pass has the ridge. Ill try to get some pics.

Promo , is the deck clean ? What blades are you using and cutting height ?

rogerwb
09-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Promo , is the deck clean ? What blades are you using and cutting height ?

I agree a clogged deck will cause this problem.

ProMo
09-21-2008, 08:34 AM
The deck is clean and I have tried several blades. I use a mulch kit but it used to give a better cut. I replaced the deck belt and dont see any other problems.

f150 with bobcat
09-21-2008, 11:05 AM
i am really on the fence within the next 6 - 14 months i will need a new machine i like the the stander but i am also looking at an exmark lazer hp

heritage
09-21-2008, 11:38 AM
Do you think the new TORO stander will compair to the Wright???

Thanks,

Pete

Gran Sport
09-21-2008, 12:04 PM
I know of one reason a toro won't stand up to the Stander. The other day we were out cutting after it rained. The lawn we were on had some standing water in spots. When I went thought the water, the rooster tails went from side to side, and straight back. Since I was between the tires and the solid steel plate, not a drop of water hit my legs or feet. Looking at the Toro, it looks like your feet would get soaked. And it's not just standing water that would be a problem. How about morning dew and dog poop?!

IN2MOWN
09-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Do you think the new TORO stander will compair to the Wright???

Thanks,

Pete

The TOROS wont compare to anything.

teamgreendude
09-26-2008, 07:23 AM
i just got another 52in stander they are great best mowers i ever have and ever will be using

CustomKare
09-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Team, do you have the 19hp on your 52"?

davidcalhoun
10-01-2008, 12:25 PM
I might be considering the Wright 42" or 48" Stander RH. Could anyone tell how well the mulch kit works on these two sizes. I know the 42" is a two blade setup and the 48" is a three blade setup - is one mulch setup better than the other?. Also how much trim overhang is on the 42" and 48"?.

I also read here that some of you felt that a Wright 36" Stander would be just AS productive as a 48" walkbehind. Do you guys feel as though the 42" Wright Stander would be MORE productive than a 48" walkbehind?

Keep the opinions coming - I'm just doing my due diligence

karlgrooms
10-01-2008, 12:55 PM
I would liken the stander to an all season tire, good most situations not great in one in paticular. Where a Z turn would excel the stander would be ok. On rough banks, hills etc. where a walk behind shines the Stander will be a handful. It's hard to juggle between present and future needs and choose what fits.

Just my experience.

rogerwb
10-01-2008, 04:26 PM
I would liken the stander to an all season tire, good most situations not great in one in paticular. Where a Z turn would excel the stander would be ok. On rough banks, hills etc. where a walk behind shines the Stander will be a handful. It's hard to juggle between present and future needs and choose what fits.

Just my experience.

When would the Stander be a hand full? :confused:

landmk
10-01-2008, 07:49 PM
I own 36 with a 15hp. 48 with a 17hp. and a 52 with a 23hp. all excellent machines but as for speed the 52 will run laps around the 36 it just takes more lawn on a single pass the only handicap is gates 36 will fit 52 is a no go but what ever you choose you should have good luck with!!K.

Gran Sport
10-02-2008, 02:32 PM

Just my experience.

Do you own a Stander? There isn't any situation I can think of that a w/b would excel over a Stander. Am I missing something?

landmk
10-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Yes all of my machines are standers with the horse power and size respectively, I also own a exmark navigator I use this for its extreme bagging capacity only and on wide open lawns, The only down side to a stander is the bag capacity but it is a small price to pay for all the other positive things this machine can do you should have great luck all of my machines have Kawasaki power plants and have many hours of run time on them with little breakage just change oil and filter and keep up on the hydro filter(every 160hrs.) and air filter and you also should have no problems good luck with your choice and machine. K.

rogerwb
10-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Do you own a Stander? There isn't any situation I can think of that a w/b would excel over a Stander. Am I missing something?

I agree 110%

captbob
10-04-2008, 06:33 AM
My dealer stocks the RH 36 stander with the Kai 17 hp but the 19 is available as an option it seems to be the same displacement as the 17 most likely a Carb. change and some manifold mods. I always use the mulch kits seems I have spoiled all my beach properties with no discharge clippings in their fresh mulch so would the extra HP be a factor in the mulching aspect or is it a sales gimmick?

TNT LawnCare Inc.
10-04-2008, 09:00 AM
My dealer stocks the RH 36 stander with the Kai 17 hp but the 19 is available as an option it seems to be the same displacement as the 17 most likely a Carb. change and some manifold mods. I always use the mulch kits seems I have spoiled all my beach properties with no discharge clippings in their fresh mulch so would the extra HP be a factor in the mulching aspect or is it a sales gimmick?

If the property's are regularly maintained every week i think the 17 will be fine. If there every 10 days i'd get the 19. I demoed the 19 36 Sentar sport model with the 19 it was very impressive. :weightlifter:

TNT LawnCare Inc.
10-04-2008, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE=coolluv;2520941]From what I have researched they tend to scalp more than most mowers. That is stand on units in general not just Wright. But everything Gran Sport said seems to be true.

Scalping with a stander is operator Error ,and for that matter on any type machine. If you cant see the ground or terain is uneven its your fault not the machines for scalping. Most guys scalp casue there cutting grasss way to low :hammerhead:

brucec32
10-12-2008, 11:53 PM

1. Delicate turf in wet conditions where you can baby the wb over it and not tear it up. Light belt drives in particular are good on this type of lawn, as long as it's not actually raining and the belts slipping.

2. Very steep hills where even wb's might skid a little.

brucec32
10-13-2008, 12:04 AM
[QUOTE=coolluv;2520941]From what I have researched they tend to scalp more than most mowers. That is stand on units in general not just Wright. But everything Gran Sport said seems to be true.

Scalping with a stander is operator Error ,and for that matter on any type machine. If you cant see the ground or terain is uneven its your fault not the machines for scalping. Most guys scalp casue there cutting grasss way to low :hammerhead:

In Maryland, yes. Mowing Bermudagrass at 1.25", no. Some machines of similar size scalp more than others.

brucec32
10-13-2008, 12:08 AM
here near houston, tx my dealer had them for 4800 about 4 months ago. that does seem steep.

So apparently not everyone is loving their Quick 36?

jbell36
10-13-2008, 12:13 AM

right but that is the luxury of having a floating deck, you can go over that kind of terrain...that is the only downfall i can see with wright...

ProMo
10-13-2008, 07:49 AM

I have a set of retention areas surrounded by a 3 ft wall that I have to use ramps to get in and requires a wb. A stander will hang up.

captbob
11-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Bit the bullet and honed up for a 36 RH Stander with the 17 Hp Kai , I took advantage of the 17% off Winter price , I only have 8-9 hours on it so far but
I am really impressed with the tight turning and the curb jumping ability , I just picked up a new bank opening soon in the middle of my cutting zone kinda nice not have to line trim mediums anymore I just hop on up and thats that . The bank put in Commercial Bahia and had never been cut yet about 6-7 weeks growth I was able to mulch it at about 3/4 speed had to go over every thing twice but I expected that with all the spent clippings on top , The Wright does not seem to have a cut quality edge over my Ex Mark 34 Z The EX's mulch kit has more depth and seems to be baffled better but I can't get in the places I can with the Stander anybody wanna buy a mint Phazer with 150 hrs