PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Trailer????

DaughtryLC
09-19-2008, 05:07 PM
To you all that had open trailers and went with an enclosed trailer, did you make the right choice??

I have an open 16ft, but would like an enclosed 16ft!

What are your pros and cons and did you make a good decision?

Isanti Lawn Man
09-19-2008, 05:28 PM
I went from a 14' open to an 18' enclosd..............would never do open again. Enclosed is the way to go with all equipment being secured, etc.

DaughtryLC
09-19-2008, 05:31 PM
If a 16 is doing good, will a 16 enclosed be big enough!

punt66
09-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Enclosed is the way to go. Dont have to unload and can lock everything up well. Keeps wandering eyes of the goods, sun and rain off the equipment and can be used for many other things.

Gran Sport
09-19-2008, 05:46 PM
If a 16 is doing good, will a 16 enclosed be big enough!

Why would'nt it? They're the same size.

DaughtryLC
09-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Why would'nt it? They're the same size.

Really:dizzy:

Gran Sport
09-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Hey, you asked.

DaughtryLC
09-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Hey, you asked.

Theres always got to be a smart ass on here!!, I have REAL ?s, not just playing around kid!!

punt66
09-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Theres always got to be a smart ass on here!!, I have REAL ?s, not just playing around kid!!

The smart a$%es probably dont own one and get the difference. A 16" open is anctually larger than a 16" enclosed. The reasnon is you cannot hang the controls over rails. Everything is straigt on or off. So you can fit more equipment in an open. You might think about going to an 18.

prizeprop
09-19-2008, 06:09 PM
It's a matter of personal preference. I went from open trailer to enclosed and back to open a year later.I personally and my guys like the idea you can grab any tool without going inside a hot trailer.I think its easier to tow one because you can still see behind you.And an enclosed trailer is false sense of security,They take the whole trailer,or cut the locks.

DaughtryLC
09-19-2008, 06:09 PM
The smart a$%es probably dont own one and get the difference. A 16" open is anctually larger than a 16" enclosed. The reasnon is you cannot hang the controls over rails. Everything is straigt on or off. So you can fit more equipment in an open. You might think about going to an 18.

Exactly what I mean!! THANKS

Albemarle Lawn
09-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Fuso landscape truck parked in a garage every night!

punt66
09-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Fuso landscape truck parked in a garage every night!

how much do those npr's cost?

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
09-19-2008, 08:53 PM
I like enclosed simply because it keeps your high dollar equipment out of the weather. Billboard effect is nice as my trailer lettered up has made me alot of money. Opens are good for hauling material or debris on. If you already have an open trailer I would recommend you keep it, I sold mine and now wish I would have kept it. If you go the enclosed route get a 8.5' wide trailer, a 7' gets cramped very easily with a big z.

GravelyNut
09-19-2008, 10:51 PM
I like enclosed simply because it keeps your high dollar equipment out of the weather. Billboard effect is nice as my trailer lettered up has made me alot of money. Opens are good for hauling material or debris on. If you already have an open trailer I would recommend you keep it, I sold mine and now wish I would have kept it. If you go the enclosed route get a 8.5' wide trailer, a 7' gets cramped very easily with a big z.

Or you can do as I did. Had an open landscape modified so that it can be used as an enclosed or an open top. Normally up gives you 6 X 16 X 4.5 ft or matching the roofline of my 3500. Top off gives you 6 X 16 X legal limits. Top down and the rest of the panels and tailgate stowed inside brings it down to 6 X 16 X 1.5. Idea was to cut fuel cost when empty on the 1200 mile runs from Ohio back here. Needless to say, the truck just doesn't seem to care if it is empty or loaded as far as MPG goes.

DaughtryLC
09-20-2008, 09:09 AM

This is what I was thinking!, I hate to sell my open. I was going to put some sides on it if I got an enclosed. Im just on the fence with the enclosed? Id like to find a good used one maybe this fall so I dont have alot of $ in it if it doesnt work out

punt66
09-20-2008, 09:13 AM
your in the south so you can find them cheap. their more expensive up here.

DaughtryLC
09-20-2008, 09:17 AM
your in the south so you can find them cheap. their more expensive up here.

are you saying New or Used?

Az Gardener
09-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Most people don't make good use of the space in enclosed trailers. I see them all the time like a big box with maybe one shelf and everything else on the floor. You can also attach ladders to the ceiling or put on roof racks. As mentioned the clean sign has some value. If you plan well you don't have to go into the trailer much at all. We can reach all our long handled tools and pruning tools from the side door. The line trimmers are about one step into the trailer.

I have noticed our new custom enclosed with a 7'6" ceiling is much cooler than the standard 6" off the lot models. I also looked at a used trailer that had been insulated, just 1" Styrofoam on the walls behind the Luann and it was much cooler too. As hot as it gets here the shade alone is cooler than being in the sun.

I might be biased I have not used an open trailer in15+ years.

punt66
09-20-2008, 04:47 PM
are you saying New or Used?

New. Their half the price down there compared to up north. I will be buying one next month when my inlaws come to visit. Were going down to my condo in naples for a couple weeks and on the drive back im going to pick up my new trailer.

TXNSLighting
09-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Not to mention the nice billboard it gives you for advertising!

Isanti Lawn Man
09-20-2008, 06:13 PM
I just bought a 2009 United 8.5x18 and I sure wish I would have purchased it sooner. I was going to go with a 16 foot but the 18 foot option was only $250 more. Be careful purchasing an off brand or one that you see on ebay from Texas for like half the price. I know a guy that bought one off ebay from Texas (brand new trailer) brought it back to MN and the quality was so terrible that he couldnt get it to pass DOT certification. The money he had to put into it to get the welds, etc up to par it would have been cheaper to buy a United, or H&H new.

Enclosed is the way to go, gives a more professional look to your customer, and gives you a free billboard for advertising. IVe had several customers say to me that I must be serious about the LOC business due the financial investment of an enclosed trailer. I didnt think it mattered to the client open or enclosed, however open gives a more professional look I guess.

prizeprop
09-21-2008, 08:04 AM
I
Enclosed is the way to go, gives a more professional look to your customer, and gives you a free billboard for advertising. IVe had several customers say to me that I must be serious about the LOC business due the financial investment of an enclosed trailer. I didnt think it mattered to the client open or enclosed, however open gives a more professional look I guess.Thats baloney,either one is fine to use.

Gran Sport
09-21-2008, 11:55 AM
The smart a$%es probably don't own one and get the difference. A 16" open is anctually larger than a 16" enclosed. The reasnon is you cannot hang the controls over rails. Everything is straigt on or off. So you can fit more equipment in an open. You might think about going to an 18.

I think you boys need to settle down a little. I'm no kid thanks, and I own both a 16 Enclosed and 16 open. Also, I was'nt being a smart ass. 16' is 16' any way you want to look at it. Yeah you got to hang trimmers on the wall, but they are at shoulder height, not down next to the mowers. So floor space is identical.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
09-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Here's a pic of my 7x16 V-nose. I only paid $3K for it brand new. I looked at Pace trailers but there just wasn't enough difference for the price difference (over $2K). This is my second season with it and the trailer has served me really well.

nosparkplugs
09-21-2008, 05:16 PM
With the price of fuel many large companies are ditching the enclosed trailers, Pro magazine just had an article; specifcally addressing this trend. The vast majority of lawn care companies are using open trailers now, or reducing their enclosed fleet, main reason the fuel savings alone, along with versatility you can haul mulch large equipment etc with less wind resistance. False sense of security with enclosed trailers, career criminals still will scope out stroage units/lots or enclosed trailers with "BILLBOARD" ADVERSTISING" saying come steel the whole trail the surprise is inside lawn equipment. Locally career criminals are just stealing the whole trailer, enclosed or open equipment or not.

NO brainer open trailers for this business

KrayzKajun
09-21-2008, 05:31 PM
my next trailer is gunna be atleast 18'... always go a lil bigger~

punt66
09-21-2008, 06:33 PM
I think you boys need to settle down a little. I'm no kid thanks, and I own both a 16 Enclosed and 16 open. Also, I was'nt being a smart ass. 16' is 16' any way you want to look at it. Yeah you got to hang trimmers on the wall, but they are at shoulder height, not down next to the mowers. So floor space is identical.

If you have both like i do then you should know ou can put alot more equipment in the same size open. I would like to see you put a wb sideways in an enclosed. 2 different animals. I still prefer enclosed but would go bigger than the open for the same equipment. But i guess you know that. :sleeping:

Gran Sport
09-21-2008, 09:25 PM
If you have both like i do then you should know ou can put alot more equipment in the same size open. I would like to see you put a wb sideways in an enclosed. 2 different animals. I still prefer enclosed but would go bigger than the open for the same equipment. But i guess you know that. :sleeping:

I don't own any w/b's. If I did, I would'nt have the handles hanging over the side of the trailer. I have Standers, and they turn around in the trailer.

Hey listen, if you want to get in a pi$$ing match with me, pm me and i'll be happy to bang with you bro. If not, take a hike. The kid asked if 16' open was bigger than 16' closed. simple math say it isn't. What the hell is wrong with you two?

punt66
09-21-2008, 09:33 PM
I don't own any w/b's. If I did, I would'nt have the handles hanging over the side of the trailer. I have Standers, and they turn around in the trailer.

Hey listen, if you want to get in a pi$$ing match with me, pm me and i'll be happy to bang with you bro. If not, take a hike. The kid asked if 16' open was bigger than 16' closed. simple math say it isn't. What the hell is wrong with you two?

ok pops, you win ahole award for the thread, congrats.

Gran Sport
09-21-2008, 09:46 PM
ok pops, you win ahole award for the thread, congrats.

Then I would like to thank the academy, my mom and dad, and everyone who stood behind me. This award means so much to me. Thank you God! this one is for you grampa! Whoo hoo!!

nosparkplugs
09-21-2008, 10:00 PM
This is the best entertainment, so glad I stopped drinking three years ago:laugh:

DUSTYCEDAR
09-21-2008, 10:09 PM
I like box trailers
i also like open trailers
and i have both

02DURAMAX
09-22-2008, 12:54 AM
With the price of fuel many large companies are ditching the enclosed trailers, Pro magazine just had an article; specifcally addressing this trend. The vast majority of lawn care companies are using open trailers now, or reducing their enclosed fleet, main reason the fuel savings alone, along with versatility you can haul mulch large equipment etc with less wind resistance. False sense of security with enclosed trailers, career criminals still will scope out stroage units/lots or enclosed trailers with "BILLBOARD" ADVERSTISING" saying come steel the whole trail the surprise is inside lawn equipment. Locally career criminals are just stealing the whole trailer, enclosed or open equipment or not.

NO brainer open trailers for this business

Then they dont charge enough!!!..I sur as he!! would never trade my closed trailer for and open!

I Just have both!

bock
09-23-2008, 11:43 PM
I will never go back to a open trailer. Its scratches everything and just makes your equipment dirty. Plus it looks more professional rolling up to your customers house, they dont have to look at all your nasty dirty equipment bouncing around your squeeky "scratch-O-matic" trailer. Trust me there are positives and negatives, but for me the positives out weighed the negatives.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
09-24-2008, 08:39 AM
I have several years of using open trailers and currently I am now using a enclosed trailer.

I have to say that for my needs, the enclosed trailer is best.

I like that my mowers and tools are out of the sun... on a open trailer, 2-3 year old equipment looks like 10-20 year old equipment from the sun fading the paint and plastics. Also nice to not have the sun turn the seat on my mower into a mini furnace which burns my ass when I sit down to mow.

I like that the mowers and tools are out of the rain in the enclosed trailer. Also the trailer gives me a nice place to take a break if a passing shower hits me where I am mowing, I can sit in the trailer and browse the internet on my phone while waiting for the rain to pass.

Often there are times where I feel like I really need to take a leak, but there is no bushes, or woods or tool sheds, etc.... to go hide behind and use the bathroom. Having a enclosed trailer, you can just go inside and close the ramp door, pee into a bottle and get back to work. I had a porta potty in my at first, but it was easier to pee into a bottle or cup and throw it away or dump it out, then to mess with cleaning a portapotty out.

I figure a thief that is going to steal stuff and has his heart set on taking your stuff won't care if it is open or enclosed, but for the passing crackhead riding down the road, the enclosed may be less of a invitation ( more trouble than it is worth ) to do a quick stop and grab like it would be for a open trailer with all the tools just sitting there hanging off the side of the trailer.

I figure the enclosed trailer is costing me about 1-2 mpg over a open trailer. And it did cost more to buy. It is also not as easy to fill everything up at the gas station, I have 3 five gallon jugs and use those to keep the mowers filled up, and when I need more gas I just fill up the 5 gallon jugs, this makes it easier than the open I had before where I would pull up to a pump and fill my truck, then pull forward to fill up the stuff on the trailer.... I can just park once and fill my truck and the jugs in one spot.

A 16 foot length on the trailer is the same open or enclosed. The width is not the same though, a 6 foot wide open is 6 foot between the rails, or IOW's 6 foot of floor space. a 7 foot wide enclosed is 7 foot wide on the outside, and that means the floor space is 4-6 inches narrower.

I am using a 7x16 I bought from a dealer I found on the internet, that sells trailers in Douglas Georgia. There are several manufactors in Douglas, seems you can get a good deal there. I paid extra to get the interior roof height at 6 foot 6 inches over the standard 6 foot height. Unless your considerably shorter than me at 5'11 you will either have to duck your head alot, or you WILL bash your head from time to time with the standard 6 foot height ( the rear opening is several inches shorter than the inside height ) Pay extra for the extra inside height!!!!! I think I paid about 3200-3300$ for mine new. So far it has been good other than the cheap tires it came with. One blew out on the way home, another is prematurely bald already where the others still have good tread on them.

Personally I think the pros of a enclosed outweight the cons. At least for a mowing crew. If your hauling trailer loads of mulch or rock/dirt, or need to haul around a midsize tractor, say for bushhogging or aeration, the open trailer would suit you better.

DaughtryLC
09-24-2008, 08:48 AM
Here's a pic of my 7x16 V-nose. I only paid $3K for it brand new. I looked at Pace trailers but there just wasn't enough difference for the price difference (over $2K). This is my second season with it and the trailer has served me really well.

Were did you get it? Nice trailer!!

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
09-24-2008, 11:09 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-2009-8-5-X-20-TAVN-Enclosed-Cargo-W-Ramp_W0QQitemZ170265041651QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170265041651&_trkparms=72%3A727%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

Here's a ebay link from the company I bought mine from. Give Jerry a call.

DaughtryLC
09-25-2008, 08:29 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-2009-8-5-X-20-TAVN-Enclosed-Cargo-W-Ramp_W0QQitemZ170265041651QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170265041651&_trkparms=72%3A727%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

Here's a ebay link from the company I bought mine from. Give Jerry a call.

Thanks I sent him an email!