PDA

View Full Version : electric rechargeable power blowers

BCLM
09-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Hi, Has anyone had any dealings with a electric rechargeable power blower, I have a Vancouver City building which insists the residents have one complaint, the stihl blower, even though we only use this on idle, this site has the benefit of collecting everyone elses leaves, We need a system with a 30 min power pack, maybe 2 batteries if need be, has anyone any ideas, any feed back would be greatly appreciated, we dont want to lose this client, we need to think different or charge more $$$$, thanks Ian BCLM

topsites
09-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Yes, never invest in equipment because of one client (and one client only).

And if that client is so important that this appears to be the only choice,
then I know I made a mistake somewhere, because no one client should
command such authority over the business.

Another way to say it is, if I'm willing to do something special for one client,
then I should be willing to do that same thing for all my clients, and if that
is not possible then this one client shouldn't be treated different, either.

Not saying I'm perfect because I don't always see it either :p

Also there do exist ways to handle this gracefully, you might still lose
the client but handled properly it at least minimizes that chance.

RLS24
09-19-2008, 09:23 PM
if they don't like it, let them find someone else to do it. don't spend $10 to make $7, if you know what I mean.

BCLM
09-19-2008, 09:39 PM
thanks for the reply guys, the owners of this one condo block nets me 4 other condo blocks nearby, to lose 1 I lose 4, not that landscape maintenance is my main work golf course green keeping is, but im looking for alternative methods of collecting leaves than a noisy blower, the property management company have suggested a rechargeable blower as an alternative method and could I look into this so I guess he has ammo tothrow at the next meeting, anyone ever used a rechargeable blower let me know it sounds like a pain and slow to use, thanks again

shepoutside
09-19-2008, 10:07 PM
I use a B&D 18 volt blower,( top pic) at a interior garden at the local hospital, as noise is a factor. It works well enough, nothing like or gas blowers, but B&D should have a 36 volt blower out next year, and that should be awe-sum, much like there 36 volt trimmer( bottom pic). We also use this around boardroom windows, at some company locations that have meetings during the day.

riverwalklandscaping
09-19-2008, 10:16 PM
too big for a rake?

BCLM
09-19-2008, 10:36 PM
hey guys thanks for the mail, when the 36 volt comes out I will certainly be checking that out & let the residents know they will have to suffer until one is available, as for too big for a rake yes the area is all brick pavers, roadway, stairs, patios, and walkways, what debris lands on the grass I can pick up no bother with a rake, this we do its just the rest of the site, the other 3 complexes wont be a problem, thanks again

Jason Rose
09-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Ok, I have a question... if the blowers and trimmers are too loud, why are the MOWERS not?

traman
09-19-2008, 11:12 PM
Ok, I have a question... if the blowers and trimmers are too loud, why are the MOWERS not? mowers dont turn 10000 rpms

shepoutside
09-19-2008, 11:13 PM
cuz it's electric too !

Jason Rose
09-19-2008, 11:53 PM
mowers dont turn 10000 rpms

For the trimmer, I don't run mine WOT pretty much ever, most people don't for weekly trimming. And for blowing there are 4 cycle backpack blowers (stihl 4-mix) that are darn quiet!

But, I've never had noise compliants... Well, once I had a guy that was rather upset, but I was mowing at about 5:50 AM, a small common area across the street from his house, lol. That was years ago now!

shepoutside
09-20-2008, 08:09 AM
In my area, there is a start, to places going "green". I'm experimenting with different options, to try to put a "green" service pack together, to be able to service these types of businesses, and homeowners, that are now, and will be seeking this type of services. The commercial type, electric's are starting to appear, and you can get bio-diesel mowers too. When the Hospital found out I had electric equipment, they hired me to look after there inside green area, that is surrounded by the hospital. This was a spin off I never expected, as there concern was just about noise.

john_incircuit
09-20-2008, 09:18 AM
I think the Makita is the most high quality blower available, but it is too short, you almost have to walk on your knees to use it. It probably can be modified easily.

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/makita/BUB182Z/

Keep in mind that electric / battery operated tools are not necessarily quite. As a neighbor, I would prefer an idling Stihl 500 any day over a whining electric blower, but I understand your concerns about the emission.