PDA

View Full Version : Steering adjustments for TANK

djflats
09-19-2008, 09:25 PM
I have a M48 TANK and it seems to be "tracking" to the left. I push both handles all of the way forward and the TANK drifts to the left. I checked out the manual but I haven't got the problem taken care of yet. Does anyone on here have a quit, easier way of doing this adjustment? I know there are adjustment bolts in front of each lap bar that "limits" the travel of the handles. Any good way to start adjusting? Thanks.

SSEnterprises
09-19-2008, 10:35 PM
first thing to check is tire pressure...

djflats
09-19-2008, 10:55 PM
Tire pressure is ok.

Restrorob
09-19-2008, 11:20 PM
Leave the handle stop bolts alone. Adjust tracking with the rear tires off the ground to get close then test drive to fine tune, Adjust to neutral position first (till tires don't move) at the link rod between the handle and hydro pump. Loosen the jam nuts on the eye links (one on each end) then rotate the link rod, They are set up like a turn buckle.

Good Luck

djflats
09-20-2008, 09:57 AM
So jack up the rear, put in neutral and make sure the tires don't turn 1st?
I'll have to find where this adjustment is made. I haven't tried much on my ZTR other than the regular maintenance like oil, grease, lube, tire pressure...the basics.

Nosmo
09-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Hi again: Do you have a manual for your tank ? If you don't you can go to Cub Cadet Commercial web site and down load one.

It will show you where those adjustment links are. A suggestion on how to get your mower to start with it jacked up and you standing beside it -- levers outward , brake on, put a concrete block or heavy object on the seat.

After starting - release the brake then back the throttle down to an idle , then bring the handles in and put them in a postion to stop the wheels from turning. If one or both creep an adjustment should be made.

Nosmo

djflats
09-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Hi again: Do you have a manual for your tank ? If you don't you can go to Cub Cadet Commercial web site and down load one.

It will show you where those adjustment links are. A suggestion on how to get your mower to start with it jacked up and you standing beside it -- levers outward , brake on, put a concrete block or heavy object on the seat.

After starting - release the brake then back the throttle down to an idle , then bring the handles in and put them in a postion to stop the wheels from turning. If one or both creep an adjustment should be made.

Nosmo

I stopped by the dealer while ago and he's going to stop by on his way home and do some "free" tweaking for me. I'll check out what he does. Thanks.

djflats
09-21-2008, 01:48 AM
My Cub dealer is going to stop by one night this week after work to take a look at the TANK. Being curious and not wanting to wait, I tried a quick way to alleviate the "tracking". There was no creeping so I ended up taking both of the lap bar bolts, the limit bolts, and screwed them all of the way in. This may sound crazy or maybe I'm lucky, but the "tracking" stopped, it is straight and I picked up a little speed. Is that possible? He's still going to come check it out but it ran and cut fine today. I cut 5 acres and it did good. I'll see what he thinks when he comes by.

Nosmo
09-21-2008, 06:41 AM
I'm glad that worked out for you. I've never adjusted either of those bolts but I'll remember this.

As for full speed I have never had the handles fully forward. It would bounce me off as the ground is too rough.

Underground tree roots , moles, gophers and natural heaving of the ground make for a rough ride. I can dig down about a foot and it is solid sandstone.

Nosmo

djflats
09-21-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm glad that worked out for you. I've never adjusted either of those bolts but I'll remember this.

As for full speed I have never had the handles fully forward. It would bounce me off as the ground is too rough.

Underground tree roots , moles, gophers and natural heaving of the ground make for a rough ride. I can dig down about a foot and it is solid sandstone.

Nosmo

I know what you mean about the ground being rough. The moles are killing me again this year. They're a few places here around the house that's not bad yet so I can open it up. Some of the grass is zoysia grass and moles seem to stay away from it for the most part it seems. I can gain some time in those areas.
Since I put the pivot pins on the axle in the outside holes it has roughened the ride but it does make for a better cut. Thank goodness for the suspension seat kit, it helps. :dizzy: