PDA

View Full Version : What "order" do you go in?

RLS24
09-19-2008, 08:35 PM
I know a lot of you guys have a decent sized crew and everything sorta happens at once, but for you smaller guys (like myself) or even the bigger guys if you had to be on your own for a day, what order do you do things in and whats the reasoning for your particular method?

I personally do it this way:

-Trim
-"lap" the yard once or twice with the 21" as I find it easier to maneuver the bigger mower and it also helps pick up all the crap the trimmer leaves
-cut with the 36
-edge
-blow

kinda backwards from what I see a lot of guys do, but it works for me and I am happy with the results.

topsites
09-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Maintenance FIRST, mowing next, everything else right after :p

Pristine PM
09-19-2008, 08:47 PM
I cut, double border because of the turn marks, double border covers them, then I trim. I trim last because I often overtrim if I didn't cut it first. If the lawn is very long, I would trim first because the mower would mat the grass down. We only cut resi's with 21's btw.

shovelracer
09-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Flick the cigarette butt in the road, run in back and piss in the woods, pick up sticks on the way back, blow the leaves on the curb into the lawn, mow, trim, blow, go up to the door and kick it a few times if they answer tell them that you need money for the weekend and need to be paid on the spot, walk a straight line back to the truck even if it is through a bed, and leave WOT.

J&R Landscaping
09-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Check the yard for what ever don't belong. Mow, trim & edge, clean-up. Simple and effective!

Stuttering Stan
09-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Such a small thing to worry about. That's like asking if you put your pants or shirt on first in the morning!! Doesn't matter, the end result is the same.

IN2MOWN
09-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Why would you do the periminter with a push mower and the rest of the yard with a 36?

MOW (with the same mower for the whole yard)
TRIM
BLOW

Lets not try and re-invent the wheel here please.

billslawn89
09-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Flick the cigarette butt in the road, run in back and piss in the woods, pick up sticks on the way back, blow the leaves on the curb into the lawn, mow, trim, blow, go up to the door and kick it a few times if they answer tell them that you need money for the weekend and need to be paid on the spot, walk a straight line back to the truck even if it is through a bed, and leave WOT.

your funny! :laugh: i use to trim everything first then mow, but lately its been mowing, trimming, then blow everything clean. on somes yards it seems faster that way, since i also tend to over trim when doing that first. then before i leave, LOL piss in the woods...LOL your killing me man with that story! friday night humor....

RLS24
09-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Why would you do the periminter with a push mower and the rest of the yard with a 36?

MOW (with the same mower for the whole yard)
TRIM
BLOW

Lets not try and re-invent the wheel here please.

When I started I would mow then trim, but I noticed a lot of the leftovers from trimming would be left laying on the lawn, and I wasnt happy with the way it looked. By trimming first, it leaves all the trimming scraps on the lawn for the mower to pick up and leaves a finished look. As far as cutting the perimeter with the small mower, I find it easier to run the 36, easier turns, and whatnot. just my way of doing it i guess.

Dingojoe
09-19-2008, 09:21 PM
For the Dingo, I mow, trim, blow....then piss in the woods, flick the cig, wink at the hot chick next to the pool... priorities man, priorities... THEN after all the heavy equiptment is put away, then it's time for a few Inbev products..(Bud Selects).. :-)

IN2MOWN
09-19-2008, 09:24 PM
When I started I would mow then trim, but I noticed a lot of the leftovers from trimming would be left laying on the lawn, and I wasnt happy with the way it looked. By trimming first, it leaves all the trimming scraps on the lawn for the mower to pick up and leaves a finished look. As far as cutting the perimeter with the small mower, I find it easier to run the 36, easier turns, and whatnot. just my way of doing it i guess.

I understand the trimming part. Thats why when I am blowing I make a trip around the fence line and blow any grass that is left over.

If you do the perimiter with your 36 you will knock light years off the time you spend at a yard. try it, you will be happy.

STIHL GUY
09-19-2008, 10:03 PM
i trim, pick up sticks and edge (with the trimmer) cut then do a lap around the perimeter to get rid of turn marks and then blow

ALC-GregH
09-19-2008, 10:07 PM
I trim mow then blow on properties I do weekly where I know the limit on the mower. That way I don't trim more then I need to. On other first time properties I mow trim and blow.

Southside Lawn Services
09-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Edge, blow, cut, blow. Beautiful job, happy customer.

RocketLab
09-20-2008, 12:12 AM

Best post in a long time!

The one time I missed trimming first on a new customers side of the house I ran over an iron rod and cracked a spindle. Woulda seen it buried in the tall grass if I'd of trimmed first...:angry:

Kennedy Landscaping
09-20-2008, 12:16 AM
Me personally
Mow
Trim-Edge
Blow
Get paid and move on

P.S. My shirt goes on AFTER the pants lol

Richard Martin
09-20-2008, 03:21 AM
P.S. My shirt goes on AFTER the pants lol

You wear pants? :rolleyes:

02DURAMAX
09-20-2008, 04:01 AM

This is just what i did when i read this post!!!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd252/002DURAMAX/laughing021.gifhttp://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd252/002DURAMAX/laughing021.gifhttp://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd252/002DURAMAX/laughing021.gifhttp://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd252/002DURAMAX/laughing021.gifhttp://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd252/002DURAMAX/laughing013.gifhttp://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd252/002DURAMAX/laughing013.gifhttp://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd252/002DURAMAX/laughing013.gif

02DURAMAX
09-20-2008, 04:02 AM
1 Mow
2 Trim
3 Blow
4 Go

Silver Landscaping
09-20-2008, 05:13 AM
Personally I like to cut with the ztr first so as to not overcut when I'm trimming, I won't load the mower until I'm finished trimming because I like to make one last pass around foundations walkways ect. so I can chop up whatever is left behind by the trimming. I do not do this of course around trees and poles or else I don't get the appearance that I just mowed through the obstacle and instead have an ugly ring. If I do any sort of flower bed maintenance at the account I will do it first so the mower will "blow away" any fine residue left behind. Usually I cut so short right around the trees and poles that when done once a week no visible residue is left however if I'm dealing with a long first time account I'll trim around trees and obstacles first so I can chop up the residue. No real standard practice I know my accounts and tailor my practices accordingly to get desired results.

Mowbizz
09-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Scan the lawn, pick up debris, etc., then...
Mow
Trim
Blow

I find trimming AFTER cutting leaves you with a better idea as to where you can see areas that are good to go and "skip" 'em...on my weekly properties some trim areas don't grow as much, so why go over them for nothing?

topsites
09-20-2008, 11:31 AM
When talking to the customer don't forget to first let out a polite fart.

It works best when no one's around, then turn right around the corner there's the customer.

freshprince94
09-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Edge with stick edger
Weedeat/Trim
Mow
Trim Hedges/Pull Weeds depending on house
Blow

When I am at my part time job, it's 2 guys and everything goes on at once.

Phil G
09-20-2008, 03:17 PM

LOL

Now that's one life changing statement.

I've seen the light...............hallelujah

Roll on Monday, can't wait to start flicking them butts and piss'n them woods.

atb Phil

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g144/PhilGz/SmilieUKFlag.gif

Freedom Lawn Service
10-04-2008, 12:17 AM
Round Up
Mow
No Blow
And Go to the next one!

Equipment list
Round Up
21" 1972 Electric Custom Lawn Boy
W/200 Feet of orange power

All Lawns $10.00

Groh's Mows
10-04-2008, 01:51 AM
I know some of the newbies will disagree but I like to blow first mostly into the neighbors yards or beds if possible, and then mow. My 21" Murray push eliminates the need to trim if I ram it up against obstructions hard enough or enough times. Then I tip it back on the back wheels and use the blade as the toughest trimmer you will ever see. Little hard on landscape timbers and bed edging but this quickly cuts down on PITA customers. Once my customers learn about the benefits of bermuda protecting and cushioning sidewalks and curbs its all good...

Seriously I find it fastest to mow then trim as a solo operator. I use the deck of my mower to blow some long runs while running back to the trailer on a few accounts to cut down on time with the blower.

Swampy
10-04-2008, 02:29 AM
I do it a about the same but something is missing......

Start:
Load trucks
Drive to gas station for morning coffee and cigs
Drive to first account to Mow, Trim, Blow
Then ask costumer to take a messy Number 2 (from those 7 bean burritos last night and the 12 pack of Blatz)
Drive to Second account Mow... but wait I'm bored so stop ZTR in the middle of their front yard and start dancing to "Electric Avenue"
Finish second account, flip blades to cut with dull side
Drive to third account with a slight detour for those nasty cheerleader car washes.
Drive to Third account Mow, then find reason to walk into back yard to eyeball the hot wife and to devise a plan to steal her laundry on the line while singing "Flirtin' with disaster"
Crank up some death metal to piss off the freaky neighbors next door for 5 minute to have another cig.
Start driving to the next account running every yellow light with another stop to pick up a 30 case.
Next account speed past saying "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh next week"
Go back to shop/yard/barn chain the doors shut and burn that sucker to the ground and sit back on the tail gate with a cold one, and when the fire department shows up just give them a Fonzy "Ehhhh".
End Day.

But seriously Mow everything first/pick up trash/move costumers "lawn ornaments" , trim, blow sidewalks, light blow leaves out of beds, zip the mower along curbs and beds to mulch leaves, load truck, and leave.

djchiodo3
10-04-2008, 01:24 PM
***** about the toys the kids didn't pick up. Yell at the pool man for leaving hose in the yard. Tell the customer to move the car off the grass on the same mow day 5 years running, pull my hair out when I go out back and see new trampoline in the middle of yard next to new swing set and try not to hit the customer when they ask if I can trim all the bushes off the house because a painter is on his way. Oh ya, then I mow.

Green Team Landscaping
10-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Mow around the edges, mow the yard, push mow(when needed), weed whack, blow whereever it needs it.

Green Team Landscaping
10-04-2008, 01:31 PM
and mow around the edge to get rid of the turn marks

Lbilawncare
10-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Weed Whack and Weed eat, you guys crack me up.

St. Andrew's Lawn Care
10-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Some yards require a cursory look to pick up small branches (pin oak) but for the most part, I now mow first as I have found I do over trim whare my Z can reach...So: Mow, Trim, Edge, Clean up...

quick and easy...