PDA

View Full Version : trailer sides

fastcat
09-19-2008, 11:12 PM
i am thinking about adding some plywood sides to my open trailer. should i use treated or is untreated fine since i will be painting it and making it look like a billboard. i was going to make it 4' tall all the way around. i want to do this for securety, leaves, mulch, etc. i thought about doing it out of expanded metal but for 1 its expensive, 2 you cant paint it like a billboard, 3 it would require alot of work which you all know we dont have a lot of time for. can anyone think of a reason why i shoulnt do this or why i shouldnt make it 4' tall. post some pics of some similar setups. thanks

David Haggerty
09-20-2008, 06:47 AM
I'd suggest plywood with exterior glue. I've heard it called "marine plywood". I wouldn't go the extra expense of treated plywood, because it's treated to resist rot. It's for wood in direct contact with the ground.
Painting it would be more effective against weathering.

I'd think 4' tall would be a pain to work out of. You couldn't reach over the top to get anything out of the trailer.
I made my sideboards removable. They're 2' tall with sideboards that'll make them another 2' taller. I seldom use the extra tall sideboards. But I don't haul leaves. I haul mulch, gravel, and compost.

Good luck with your project.

jeffex
09-20-2008, 06:57 AM
It is my opinion that the 4' plywood sides look like something out of sanford and son . This is JUST my observation . I have use plywood sides when getting mulch but I prop them up while the mulch is dropped in and when the trailer is unloaded I stack them on the floor. It look 1/2 a$$ed even when I did it so I just have the mulch delivered and charge more. I don't think its a deal breaker for potential customers but it may be forhigher end customers. You gotta do what you gotta do!

topsites
09-21-2008, 10:53 PM
It is my opinion that the 4' plywood sides look like something out of sanford and son . This is JUST my observation . I have use plywood sides when getting mulch but I prop them up while the mulch is dropped in and when the trailer is unloaded I stack them on the floor. It look 1/2 a$$ed even when I did it so I just have the mulch delivered and charge more. I don't think its a deal breaker for potential customers but it may be forhigher end customers. You gotta do what you gotta do!

That's half the reason I never did it,
the other half is I already have 2 foot
steel sides and when that trailer is loaded
full I am glad it ain't no higher :p

fastcat
09-22-2008, 04:29 PM
I'd suggest plywood with exterior glue. I've heard it called "marine plywood". I wouldn't go the extra expense of treated plywood, because it's treated to resist rot. It's for wood in direct contact with the ground.
Painting it would be more effective against weathering.

I'd think 4' tall would be a pain to work out of. You couldn't reach over the top to get anything out of the trailer.
I made my sideboards removable. They're 2' tall with sideboards that'll make them another 2' taller. I seldom use the extra tall sideboards. But I don't haul leaves. I haul mulch, gravel, and compost.

Good luck with your project.

could you post a pic of this setup.

fastcat
09-23-2008, 08:39 PM
will someone post some pics of there trailer sides please. thanks.

Chilehead
09-23-2008, 08:50 PM

Maybe it looks crude, but I think this is a case where function over form may make sense. I personally bought some 1/2" plywood 6 years ago, painted them white, and have used them on my 5' x 8' trailer whenever I have a decent sized cleanup or mulch job. And certainly, no one would be in their right mind to say that you should ignore the cost savings of doing something like this yourself. Not one of my customers has ever commented negatively about my homemade setup, yet I have had a few comment positively saying that they thought my homemade enclosure was "neat", "smart", and "something I wish I was handy enough to do". The $75.00 or so you spend on plywood and hardware will be paid for when you complete your first decent cleanup using it. :cool:

fastcat
09-23-2008, 09:06 PM
i was thinking of making it more of a permanat thing and painting it so that it looks nice and puting my name and logo and more advertising stuff on it. so i dont think it will really look bad. i am more concernd about drag and how much it would effect my gas milage.

corey4671
09-23-2008, 09:21 PM
look at the pics in my signature. Yeah it probaly has that Sanford and Son look that was mentioned but ask me if I care? Never had a negative comment from a customer.