PDA

View Full Version : Help me, Please. I am wanting to upgrade my mower

mowjoe666
09-20-2008, 12:55 AM
This is my second year in bisiness. I have not had much extra money because my city fined me for operating a business from a residential zoned location this past spring. I have had to rent a storage shed to keep my stuff in. I finally have saved almost $2000 up for a new lawnmower. I have been using a Craftsman 42" tractor. Should I get a bigger Craftsman tractor or should I try a Snapper or John Deere tractor?

Thank you.

big_belly4ever
09-20-2008, 01:03 AM
Ever think about a zero turn. i used riders for the first 6 years. I cant stand driving a rider over my zero turn although i do use a johndeer L130 with bagger and a 48"pull behind sweeper for spring and fall clean up of leaves. so if your in rider price range yet till you grow more my 2cents is go with johndeer (never had a snapper)

mowjoe666
09-20-2008, 01:21 AM
Why thank you for such a quick reply. I see guys with Grasshoppers mowing around town, but are'nt those like $10,000? I guess I never looked into those because I only mow about 20 yards a week and did'nt think I could afford one? I could maybe keep using what I have and save up another year.

Come to think of it. I saw a zero turn mower at the local Home Depot the other day. I"ll go buy there in the morning and ask the sales clerk what he thinks of that zero turn mower compared to a John Deere.

Thank you again!

dura to the max
09-20-2008, 01:29 AM
all three mowers are really the same with different trim/pain/labels. since most are bought from a chain store i dont see it mattering much which one of these you get.

imo though, a 36-48" commercial w/b can easily be obtained in this price range. ive bought many for way less than you have to spend. no, it may not be tthp or a scag pro-v, but a great belt drive or even hydro can be found. it would cut a lot more grass than the mowers you mentioned, it would cut said grass better, and it would allow you to service more lawns in the same amount of time therefore increasing your bottom line. on a personal note, i think w/b mowers are fun to operate. the bottom line is if you spend 2k on a tractor like you mention, or the w/n like i mentioned you will have 2k in a mower. why not get a better, faster cut for the same money on a machine that is built for continual use, has a dealer that can work on it?

ALC-GregH
09-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't consider a residential mower from HD or Lowes. You get what you pay for.....
If anything, check around the local equipment dealers for some end of season sales on new and even used.

DaughtryLC
09-20-2008, 10:24 AM
One thing to look at is What are the guys in your area Using??

Also my dealer always has a finance deal going(90 days, 12 months.....)

Just something to think about... If you only have season $$ then maybe use what you got and get something in the spring!?

12month @ 0% at the 1st of the season, and maybe pay it off at the end!!

Hunter73
09-20-2008, 11:05 AM
I wouldn't buy any mower from Lowes or Home Depot if you want it to last a long time and not have alot of breakage. Save up and buy a commercial mower from a dealer.

ZTR_Diesel
09-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Go used - you'll save a lot in depreciation alone, and while you may have to do some work to it, you'll come out dollars & cents ahead compared to buying a new, lesser quality machine. this is a good time to look, lost being traded in, and dealers want to move them before winter. And NEVER buy a primary machine for commercial use from Sears, Home Dpeot, etc. Those are strictly for homeowners and you won't recieve anywhere near the service & support you will from a ground care dealer. Good luck, his post bring up a good topic - check your zoning before you start a business from your home!

Elite Outdoor
09-20-2008, 07:02 PM
I would buy a walk-behind mower. Even if its a smaller one like a 32 or 36" you will still mow faster. You can find a good used one for under that price. Plus they are almost bomb proof, and easy to work on.

jsaunders
09-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Where are you located?
Stay away from the chain store mowers!! A walk behind would do you wonders- you can get good financing on new or can easily pick up a used one in GOOD condition for $2k or less- ( As a matter of fact I have a 48 Exmark Metro 15hp 4 sale for $1250-needs nothing -and it will out cut your other mowers any day of the week)

I like the walk behinds with sulkies better than riders actually.