PDA

View Full Version : Two neat pics

coopers
09-20-2008, 04:53 AM
Found these online from our DOT and thought they were cool shots. Very beautiful background to work in.

bobcat_ron
09-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Can snow really get that hard and compact that fast that an excavator can sit on it with out sinking?

coopers
09-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Ron,

This is in the Mount Baker area of Washington which is east of Bellingham/Whatcom County and this area receives a massive amount of snow during the winter, a lot of it doesn't melt in certain places or it takes well into summer to melt it down to a smaller amount.

"The road to Artist Point, 2.5 miles long and more than 5,000 feet above sea level, is typically buried under snow and closed October through June."

coopers
09-20-2008, 04:38 PM
Here's a couple more pics from Mt. Ranier area which is in the southern portions of our state. Snow drifts can be as high as 50 feet.

coopers
09-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Found some more cool photos from our DOT that were taken over the past year with our bad storms that hit.

coopers
09-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Some more photos....the two deere excavator photos weren't storm related, just some roadwork being done.

bobcat_ron
09-20-2008, 06:25 PM
Holy crap, the operators almost need life jackets!

ksss
09-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Why do the wheel loaders have license plates? I have never seen that before.

Dirt Digger2
09-20-2008, 08:24 PM
a lot of the DOT machines (loader and backhoes) have plates...i dont know why...same around here

coopers those pictures are really awesome, there was a farmer around here who had a hay field next to the river and during a flood last summer the round bales he had stored on the field washed out into the middle of the road so the township called him and told him to get out there are unblock the road...there was a steady foot of water washing across the road because it was in a flood plane, he said you couldn't look down at the water underneath because you would start to get really dizzy and loose your bearing, you had to look right at the round bale as you drove in and back right out...he got so dizzy he had to have his son go in and finish the job

Dirtman2007
09-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Found a video of that exact machine working.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=FY4I60TY4w4&feature=related

bobcat_ron
09-20-2008, 09:13 PM
Why do the wheel loaders have license plates? I have never seen that before.

I had to have a plate on the "Rubber Duck" I used for a season 2 years ago, something about going faster than 5 mp/h on-road requires a plate and obvious insurance.

coopers
09-20-2008, 09:24 PM
KSSS,

I don't recall exactly but I believe it's for their own tracking purposes. From what I remember and from what I just briefly looked over on our RCW is that heavy equipment among other categories don't need plates. I'll have to look into it though because I'm curious now. I know our loaders and backhoes at the city shop all have plates...there may be some little subsection in our law that says something about equipment traveling so many miles from a "work area" etc. may require a plate. As much as I hate to see it including my two buddies back at the city shop, the city workers road the loaders and backhoes EVERYWHERE.

coopers
09-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Found a video of that exact machine working.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=FY4I60TY4w4&feature=related

Nice find dirtman, didn't think to look there too.

Digdug
09-21-2008, 08:20 PM
All equipment here needs to have plates to work in roads.