PDA

View Full Version : Friday, Last minute lawns i get. Anyone else?

Lawn-Sharks
09-20-2008, 05:30 PM
(Im not complaining) at all because last minute work = more payup for me, but it wears you out at the end of the day on Friday 4:00 to get a call from my largest Property management company, and have to drive 25 miles out further out then i already am just to service 3 more lawn that look like this... Thank god i charge out the wazoo for yards like these!

KrayzKajun
09-20-2008, 05:37 PM
gotta love it!

mr mow
09-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Yea thats a buzz kill at the end of the week, end of the day. Aint going to cut itself tho!

TheLawnBarber
09-20-2008, 08:39 PM
How much did you charge? $100, $125?

1cooltreeguy
09-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Thats a $250-$300 lawn, mow, weed eat, blow- no raking - if raking - add another 150...we get those all the time - rental industry....

GravelyGuy
09-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Hold on a second you guys call 4:00 the end of the day??? lol

I'm lucky if I still have daylight when I get home to unload my stuff.

I wouldn't touch those lawns BTW.

deere615
09-20-2008, 10:14 PM
wow those lawns are always fun to cut!

Jason Rose
09-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I'll take a ZERO on doing that sort of work. But, if you have the time and a mower you don't mind using as a bushhog, and you can get a fair price for them, why not!?

Sometimes it's suprising how quick some of those overgrown crap-holes can be cut with decent equipment. Something with power and sharp blades can make the property look 200% better, even if it's not "perfect" when you are done.

I don't do "rehab" work anymore either. Never any free time in the schedule to deal with that crap anymore!

ericmcj31
09-20-2008, 10:23 PM
dude-
a call at 4:00??? That SOB would have to wait until Monday AT THE EARLIEST!! I'm not trying to be all high and mighty and all--but that's pretty disrespectful calling @ 4 and expecting it to be done pronto! Not to mention the high grass that is gonna screw up your equipment prematurely. I hope you're getting paid some serious $$$ for this!

mattfromNY
09-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Drive 25 minutes to mow a lawn??
Not me. Got enough work locally, 25 minutes of driving would put me somewhere I dont want to be on Friday night. Pay up Sucka!!!

crawdad
09-21-2008, 07:45 AM
Those look like Monday lawns to me.

zim bob the landscaper
09-21-2008, 10:20 AM
i think thats the best time to call, called a 4:00 all the neigbors have been looking at those lawns for who knows how long. you come and make it look 100 time better and the neigbors are all home to see you there doing your work! i get alot of work from doing this when i get lawns like that or rehab work i do it either at night or on the weekend!

Lawn-Sharks
09-21-2008, 11:53 AM
The property management people called and requested a knock down service for all three of the lawns Which includes mowing and blowing & cut quality is not a concern, they just want to keep code enforcement off their backs. Lawns this size start at $100.00 and go up and it all depends on how tall the grass is and the size of the property. They will call me back every few months to do another knock down service and if they want to sell or rent out the property they will call me shortly after a knock down to do a clean up service which includes everything plus bagging all clipping- no tree trimming, thats extra($$$:D$$$)and the yard will be prep for prospective buyers or renters.. I have tried to get them to let me do weekly service on them but the prefer to do it this way, i cant complain i just give them what they want and their happy :)

And.....4:00pm is the end of they day for me on Friday, when i started at 6am and where i was mowing at is over an 1 1/2 hours from my house,traffic permitting. (I have mulitable license that let me service 3 countiespayup)

LawnGuy73
09-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Why would they call at 4:00 on a Friday, and say that it needs to be done today? :confused:

Couldn't it wait?

grass2cash
09-23-2008, 09:48 AM
You get $100+ for those piddly lots? I understand that you have to cross cut but I find it hard to believe that a property mngmt group would pay that type of money in an area that is over saturated in lawn maint. companies. Anywho, good luck and how about some after pics...

Lawn-Sharks
09-23-2008, 09:54 AM
Why would they call at 4:00 on a Friday, and say that it needs to be done today? :confused:

Couldn't it wait?

....Code Enforcement! If its not mowed by X-date & time then they get hit with a daily fine until its mowed.

Lawn-Sharks
09-23-2008, 11:11 AM
You get $100+ for those piddly lots? I understand that you have to cross cut but I find it hard to believe that a property mngmt group would pay that type of money in an area that is over saturated in lawn maint. companies. Anywho, good luck and how about some after pics...

I understand it's kind of hard to believe i can get these prices with our area being flooded with lawn companies, but i have been working with this management company for years now, and it wasn't always this way with them but after providing them with outstanding professional service to them for so long. I have upped my prices on these kind of lawns because of the condition they are in + rising fuel cost and i believe that they only agreed to my prices is because of my longevity with them and because they also have tried other LCO's and were disappointed with the service they received prior to using me. Don't think this is an every month occurrence with these $100 lawns because it's not. I might get a few of these every 3-4 months otherwise the lawns i get from them are small/med properties ranging from $30 to $45+ per cut.

dura to the max
09-23-2008, 11:37 PM
get those all the time...love the $$$$

id quite servicing lawns and just do those if i could...

Langford2000
09-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Don't understand why some of you guys would say no to this kind of work. Charge enough so that you make good money. As a rule I try not to turn down work - especially emergency work like this - because the people that call you aren't usually the bosses. The people that call you for the last minute things have usually forgot and now the heat is on to get it done and are happy you bailed them out of the crap. Has lead to more work in the future for me on more than one occasion.

georgiagrass
09-25-2008, 03:29 PM
We like getting these kinds of calls. The money is usually pretty good and there's a certain amount of satisfaction in making the property look soooo much better. Only issue we have is finding unexpected things in the grass that are rough on the blades.

Kglenn04
09-25-2008, 10:01 PM
GOT DAMN!!!! but you got paid though

STIHL GUY
09-25-2008, 10:13 PM
you should take some pics after cutting

Lawn-Sharks
09-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Here's a last minute one i got to day (2 Before's & 1 After)

Kglenn04
09-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Thats a $250-$300 lawn, mow, weed eat, blow- no raking - if raking - add another 150...we get those all the time - rental industry....

how much did you get for cutting that if you dont mind me asking

razor1
09-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Are you giving that machine a break in pic 2?

Lawn-Sharks, is that you quoted in the September issue of TURF magazine (north edition) page C20? It's under "Dump Water, Fla". Check it out.

deere615
09-26-2008, 09:51 PM
Nice before/after pics

Green Team Landscaping
09-26-2008, 11:12 PM
How do you know what you're going to find in those lawns?

LawnMowerKing10
09-27-2008, 12:00 AM
What mower did you use to knock down that lawn?

Kglenn04
09-27-2008, 12:02 AM
Here's a last minute one i got to day (2 Before's & 1 After)

Very nice my man Very nice bet you had fun blowing

Lawn-Sharks
09-27-2008, 09:25 AM
What mower did you use to knock down that lawn?

I used my 52" snapper.

Lawn-Sharks
09-27-2008, 09:28 AM
How do you know what you're going to find in those lawns?

I don't always...so i walk the property and try to find anything that the mower will have a issue with like this lawn, the water meter cover was laying off to the side in the grass and you couldn't see it till you were standing on top of it.

razor1
09-27-2008, 10:31 AM
water meter cover was laying off to the side

but they make such nice frisbees :laugh:

dura to the max
09-27-2008, 11:05 AM
i hit a water meter cover last week...ive never seen blades bent that way...

J&R Landscaping
09-27-2008, 11:52 AM
The befores and afters look good. Getting those jobs is somewhat of a pain but your making money and not damaging the equiptment. Thats what counts!

02DURAMAX
09-28-2008, 03:16 AM
I dont touch those lawns anymore i pass

Lawn-Sharks
09-28-2008, 09:27 AM
Are you giving that machine a break in pic 2?

Lawn-Sharks, is that you quoted in the September issue of TURF magazine (north edition) page C20? It's under "Dump Water, Fla". Check it out.

I didn't quote anything for the turf magazine? unless they took it from the LS website. I just so happen to have the September's issue but, i don't have Pg. C20 it got torn up and i ripped it off so i could read the rest of the mag without having paper flopping around. But i wish i could read it so i knew what you were talking about. What did it say???

razor1
09-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Definitely a quote from LS. I think TURF mag owns both. Anyhoo you were talking about late fees and billing issues. Sound familiar?

Kglenn04
09-29-2008, 12:52 AM
I dont touch those lawns anymore i pass

why do you pass??

Lawn-Sharks
09-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Definitely a quote from LS. I think TURF mag owns both. Anyhoo you were talking about late fees and billing issues. Sound familiar?

Yeah it does, i wish i could have seen it though.

Lawn-Sharks
09-29-2008, 10:29 AM
I went on line and looked up the article in turf magazine south online and Yep that was me! Some of the people posting were not understanding the question i was asking. I simply wanted to know what people thought would be a acceptable % rate of the bill to charge for a late fee that's it, well some of them blew it out of hand thinking i was asking how much interest i could charge a late customer per month as a late fee (not what i was asking) But you still have to fight with them because some of them cannot read and comprehend a post before they start stroking a key board with their LS hater post's

razor1
09-29-2008, 05:54 PM
"Yep that was me"

Cool, glad you found it.

I don't care for the hater posts either.