PDA

View Full Version : licensed electrician and permit ?'s

tedfrk
09-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Hi,do i have to higher a licensed electrician to do this?and is a permit required?

The Lighting Geek
09-21-2008, 12:47 PM
It really depends on where you live. In California you can install low voltage lighting with a landscape contractors license. I know there are some states that have different laws and regulations and some don't require a contractors license at all to do LV lighting. I sure someone will chime in here and let you know.

S&MLL
09-21-2008, 12:49 PM
You have a pm

David Gretzmier
09-22-2008, 12:30 AM
New Jersey sounds like one of those states mentioned in previous threads that requires an electrician. I could be wrong about that...

Dreams To Designs
09-22-2008, 09:15 AM
Unfortunately, you are correct. According to the law, only a licensed electrician is permitted to install anything using more that 10 volts with the exception of irrigation wiring. Many have banded together in oppositions, including manufacturers, associations and individuals. One of the arguments is that LV lighting is a plug in appliance that should be exempt, but haven't heard a definitive answer on that one yet.

Many installers will partner with the same electrician that is installing the outlets you will need for your low voltage lighting installation, to "oversee" the lighting installation. I have only encountered 1 union electrician that was in favor of enforcing the law, all the others have no interest in digging around plants and dirt.

Kirk