PDA

View Full Version : Possible Purchase Bobcat 873

Dstosh
09-21-2008, 09:20 PM
I have been looking into skid loaders for snow removal. Snow wont be its main fucntion, but I would like it to be able to push snow. I have come accross a Bobcat 873 C series. It has a little over 1800 hrs on the deutz engine, which has had the timing belt replaced already. I would like a larger machine for moving snow, and I cant afford a machine like a S 220 or S250, so they are out of the question.

My question is , Is the 873 a decent machine, let me know your thoughts on this, I read somewhere that the loader arms are prone to cracking. The only thing that scares me is the engine. Is a deutz ok?

Thanks

KTM
09-21-2008, 10:12 PM
The head gaskets go out quik, but there eay to replace yourself. They have been known to go through drive motors, look for cracks and welds about eye level on the booms. The are great on fuel, and decent to run, should be good for snow removal.

accurate machinery
09-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Take a look at my sponsor forum, I have several pictures of the cracks on the arms of the Bobcat 873's posted. The earlier Deutz engines were more prone to the head gasket problems, the later ones have been a lot more reliable. I would say that the G series 873's have earned a good reputation, I would aviod anything older than 2000. I think that Bobcats dropping of the Deutz is a bad sign, the Kubota's have a great reputation. I also just brought in some cheaper S250's, one is sold already. one is posted on my website. I also have a cheaper S185 but a little higher hour machine, 2573 hours cab with a/c. You might want to read some of the articles about how I inspect used skid steer loaders, it might be helpful.

DougW
09-24-2008, 12:27 AM
They're good machines if they're taken care of.